Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Awful idea that would hardly ever bear fruit. Just clean slate the franchise, move on to a new post-skywalker neo-old republic era. Knock the force down a notch or 20 (from the utter bullshit in the last movie), make both forces underground or only thinnly connected to the jedi/sith ideology, give the setting some proper sci-fi sheen again, instead of the drab industrial look for the rebels and overly simplified look on the empire side and most important of all, create some likeable characters again, not walking bargain bin tropes.

    Let the old shit become true myth and legend again (not what jar jar abrahms thought that means), no cameo or other stuff from the horrible disney characters or digging out CGI corpses of the original cast.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  2. #42
    Four words: let Star Wars rest.

    Milking it more than it already has been is what lead to the downfall of the Terminator franchise (it should've stopped with T2, and used the other ending).

    The Mandalorian can stay though. I've heard good things about it.

  3. #43
    Bloodsail Admiral bledgor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,096
    They just need to avoid Star Wars movies for a while, TLJ and RoS were utter shit, while the tv series have been pretty good. They also have a lot of content they can draw from in the EU to make some fun, enjoyable shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post

    Edit: I wonder what really happened behind the scenes with this trilogy, we blame Kennedy a lot and ultimately it is her fault for not reigning in the project, but have you ever looked at the movies that woman has worked on? She has a really impressive best hits roll for her work. She's handled the BttF trilogy and Jurrasic Park, which say what you want about JP, the trilogy actually maintained a cohesion between movies and definitely hold up better than SW 7-9.

    In 20 years when some of these people start dying, there will be a ton of books and info that come out talking about how this all got handled so poorly.
    Well I dont know if shes good at her job or not. The fact shes managed to become number one target for hate says shes doing something wrong.

    But in terms of her career I see this brought up a lot how shes worked on so many great films.

    Most of the films shes worked on was under industry veterans. I wonder how much input producers give the likes of Steven Spielberg and just how many great notes did she give him on Jurassic Park. Or was she born with a sliver spoon and just knew the right people like most successful people in hollywood outside of talent. And let them do their own thing. Which is deserving of praise too I guess.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  5. #45
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,451
    Zero chance of this happening.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Well I dont know if shes good at her job or not. The fact shes managed to become number one target for hate says shes doing something wrong.

    But in terms of her career I see this brought up a lot how shes worked on so many great films.

    Most of the films shes worked on was under industry veterans. I wonder how much input producers give the likes of Steven Spielberg and just how many great notes did she give him on Jurassic Park. Or was she born with a sliver spoon and just knew the right people like most successful people in hollywood outside of talent. And let them do their own thing. Which is deserving of praise too I guess.
    I think she is legitimately talented, there is a quip from Spielberg, who hired her as a secretary, but she was shit at that, but was exceptional at production duties, he almost immediately put her on as a producer. This was early 80s, she was only in her 20s. I think the body of her work, through the years, speaks enough that she isn't a hack.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I think she is legitimately talented, there is a quip from Spielberg, who hired her as a secretary, but she was shit at that, but was exceptional at production duties, he almost immediately put her on as a producer. This was early 80s, she was only in her 20s. I think the body of her work, through the years, speaks enough that she isn't a hack.
    Well either way, she seems pretty "hands off" and that either works great with the likes of Steven.

    Or you get the likes of Rian Johnson throwing the plan out the window for "subversion yo"
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  8. #48
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    21,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Could we please get a revamped version of Shadows of the Empire? Something that canonically makes sense between ESB and RotJ but without the mid-90's awkwardness?

    I'd much rather have the Shadows explanation of how Leia gets her costume rather than the post-new trilogy Maz Kanada explanation.
    They gave themselves a 30 year window between RotJ and TFA. Endless years before TPM and a completely blank slate after TROS.

    So much room for so many stories. The OT actors have moved on or no longer with us. Recasting them is a bad idea - see Solo. Whoever started the reboot rumor must be bored or Disney actually lost their mind.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Yeah I think Ryan could have made a better three films. Most of the problems with the 8th film are because he had to take the pile of shit JJ gave him and cobble together an entertaining film while still leaving enough meat for the final film.

    I think they could potentially pull off a "reboot" of the last three films by doing something like making a film where Luke is captured by a small remnant of the Empire who are trying to turn him to the dark side. They could be forcing a non sith/jedi alien force user to use her powers to make luke experience false lives in order to make him go dark side but he keeps fighting and always getting the good guys to win in the end. The alien girl falls in love with him experiencing dozens of lives with him and eventually works up the courage to save him and they end up escaping. Sure it might piss off fans of the Disney trilogy but it would also remove all the bad that JJ injected into the film universe. You could even try and get the actors back to play the villans and other prisoners, etc... So you aren't shitting on them just the nonsense that JJ created. Then after the fairytale ending set all future movies far away in time or space.
    TFA is just a reboot, hard to argue any of the blame of the trilogy rests on it since it's just a remake.

    They should have just given RJ both movies or found someone like him. Even if people didn't like the tone or direction the trilogy would have distinct and cohesive. Bringing JJ back on was the worst thing that could happen. Not only was JJ full of his own ego, he isn't the best writer...yet they just gave him the entire project.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Well either way, she seems pretty "hands off" and that either works great with the likes of Steven.

    Or you get the likes of Rian Johnson throwing the plan out the window for "subversion yo"
    What plan did Johnson throw out the window?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post



    What plan did Johnson throw out the window?
    The trilogy outline JJ Abrams set up for the films.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  10. #50
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    21,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    Four words: let Star Wars rest.

    Milking it more than it already has been is what lead to the downfall of the Terminator franchise (it should've stopped with T2, and used the other ending).

    The Mandalorian can stay though. I've heard good things about it.
    SW is not going anywhere. They just started an original era (High Republic) and building up post RotJ.

    I think the next trilogy, or whatever they do movie wise, is going to have more long term planning MCU. That's actually something Disney brought to the franchise that wasn't there before...except messing up TLJ - > TROS. Think that's going to be a lesson learned.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    The trilogy outline JJ Abrams set up for the films.
    JJ should have started with an actual addition to the franchise and not just a remake then.

    If TROS was part of JJs outline then they did us a favor by not letting him have control over the entire trilogy. He probably would had a cliche 'Rey, I'm am your father" bit too.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post


    JJ should have started with an actual addition to the franchise and not just a remake then.

    If TROS was part of JJs outline then they did us a favor by not letting him have control over the entire trilogy. He probably would had a cliche 'Rey, I'm am your father" bit too.
    JJ has his own set of problems. I'm sure we've all seen his "mystery box" ted talk by now.

    A lot of the questions he set up didnt have answers. Probably why it was so easy for Rian to course change and everyone at Disney was like "Ok sure!"
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  12. #52
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    64,003
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    Kennedy gets a lot of hate because she ushered in the ST, but she never gets credit all of the good stuff that was released under her watch. Rebels, the revival of TCW, The Mandalorian, Rogue One...Kennedy was behind all of those, too. I'd call her record mixed more than outright terrible.
    I swear, pretty much the entire hatred of Kennedy specifically with regards to Star Wars boils down to that one "the Force is female" comment. So many salty fanboys who got pissed that the Force doesn't have a big giant magic-penis for some reason.

    It's a force of creation and life. Mythologically, those are almost always female, if they're gendered, dudes.

    Kennedy's career and success rate speaks for itself. The Star Wars ST is a hiccup in that career at best. And really, I'd lay most of the blame on the shenanigans that went on with writing and directing; the way it played out wasn't the plan, Johnson was brought in when Abrams bailed on Ep 8 due to other interests.

    Let's recall she's also the producer or executive producer for;
    ET the Extra-terrestrial
    Gremlins 1/2
    The Goonies
    Back to the Future 1/2/3
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Hook
    Jurassic Park 1/2/3
    Schindler's List
    Bridges of Madison County
    Twister
    The Sixth Sense

    And so on. Those are by no means the only films in there, just some of the highlights. She's been wildly successful at crafting films that make up a lot of our collective childhoods.
    Last edited by Endus; 2020-07-03 at 01:09 AM.

  13. #53
    I’m not against it.

    The first 6 was a family space opera with a mythology undertone. The last 3 were shallow spectacles (mostly ignoring the first 6) with SJW undertones.

    I legit lost interest in Star Wars after ep 9. and have zero faith in Disney. It’s pretty impressive how badly they screwed up the last 3.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2020-07-03 at 01:13 AM.

  14. #54
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    64,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    JJ has his own set of problems. I'm sure we've all seen his "mystery box" ted talk by now.

    A lot of the questions he set up didnt have answers. Probably why it was so easy for Rian to course change and everyone at Disney was like "Ok sure!"
    Which is probably the problem. Johnson probably got a script guideline with a lot of "Rey's parents: ???" and such. I doubt Abrams had an answer to anything when he finished TFA; he'd write those answers as he needed them. That's his "mystery box" approach. So there wasn't anything for Johnson to throw out; he just took hints of mystery and said "whoops, it's nothing."

    Which isn't a bad thing. I think the films would have been better if Rey hadn't been someone's grandkid. If she's just some rando the Force said "yeah, you, you're the One" to. We know that can happen; the Force canonically impregnated Anakin's mom its own damn self to make a hate-baby to destroy the Jedi with. And she was the definition of a nobody; some random slave on a backwater planet.

    Why should Rey's parents matter? It's silly. Better to just explore the character, rather than have her serve as a proxy, especially when we've already got Kylo doing exactly that in the same film.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I swear, pretty much the entire hatred of Kennedy specifically with regards to Star Wars boils down to that one "the Force is female" comment. So many salty fanboys who got pissed that the Force doesn't have a big giant magic-penis for some reason.

    It's a force of creation and life. Mythologically, those are almost always female, if they're gendered, dudes.

    Kennedy's career and success rate speaks for itself. The Star Wars ST is a hiccup in that career at best. And really, I'd lay most of the blame on the shenanigans that went on with writing and directing; the way it played out wasn't the plan, Johnson was brought in when Abrams bailed on Ep 8 due to other interests.

    Let's recall she's also the producer or executive producer for;
    ET the Extra-terrestrial
    Gremlins 1/2
    The Goonies
    Back to the Future 1/2/3
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Hook
    Jurassic Park 1/2/3
    Schindler's List
    Bridges of Madison County
    Twister
    The Sixth Sense

    And so on. Those are by no means the only films in there, just some of the highlights. She's been wildly successful at crafting films that make up a lot of our collective childhoods.
    Bascially Steven Spielberg liked working with her so shes attached to a bunch of great films.

    One of which i wouldnt include hook. That movie is terrible. Robin Williams being a mopey drag for 2 hours so he can be "like a boy" for the final third.

    Spielberg himself said he didnt like that film.

    Anyway its the first time I've ever seen a producer be the target for the success or failure of a film. No one brings up the prequels producers which those films are divisive among the "fans"
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  16. #56
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    64,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Anyway its the first time I've ever seen a producer be the target for the success or failure of a film. No one brings up the prequels producers which those films are divisive among the "fans"
    Which is why I think it's entirely a bunch of fragile guys upset at her "the Force is female" quote. That one statement, and she's the problem, somehow.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Which is probably the problem. Johnson probably got a script guideline with a lot of "Rey's parents: ???" and such. I doubt Abrams had an answer to anything when he finished TFA; he'd write those answers as he needed them. That's his "mystery box" approach. So there wasn't anything for Johnson to throw out; he just took hints of mystery and said "whoops, it's nothing."

    Which isn't a bad thing. I think the films would have been better if Rey hadn't been someone's grandkid. If she's just some rando the Force said "yeah, you, you're the One" to. We know that can happen; the Force canonically impregnated Anakin's mom its own damn self to make a hate-baby to destroy the Jedi with. And she was the definition of a nobody; some random slave on a backwater planet.

    Why should Rey's parents matter? It's silly. Better to just explore the character, rather than have her serve as a proxy, especially when we've already got Kylo doing exactly that in the same film.
    Yeah. And they would have kept the 2nd and 3rd film with only loose guidelines because the landscape of film changes over the years and they would have wanted freedom to react to audience reactions and focus on the popular story lines or drop ones not working because profitability of the IP was the priority over story telling

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Which is why I think it's entirely a bunch of fragile guys upset at her "the Force is female" quote. That one statement, and she's the problem, somehow.
    yeah they should blame it on child actors like the good old days

    I dont think young anakin ever worked again in film
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  18. #58
    The Lightbringer Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    3,797
    Disney needs to not attempt to run away from their mistakes. TLJ and RoS are apart of Star Wars now and should remain that way.

    Hamill said he was done. Ford is pretty much done. Carrie is dead.

    You cannot redo the sequels, you can't ignore the sequels. The only way to move beyond them is to set the next series after the sequel characters have died.

    As bad as TLJ and RoS are, it is worse to retcon them at this point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  19. #59
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    21,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    the Force canonically impregnated Anakin's mom its own damn self to make a hate-baby to destroy the Jedi with.
    This is brilliant.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Yeah. And they would have kept the 2nd and 3rd film with only loose guidelines because the landscape of film changes over the years and they would have wanted freedom to react to audience reactions and focus on the popular story lines or drop ones not working because profitability of the IP was the priority over story telling
    I don't think we'll ever see SW movies made in a loose format again. For better or for worse.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    TFA is just a reboot, hard to argue any of the blame of the trilogy rests on it since it's just a remake.

    They should have just given RJ both movies or found someone like him. Even if people didn't like the tone or direction the trilogy would have distinct and cohesive. Bringing JJ back on was the worst thing that could happen. Not only was JJ full of his own ego, he isn't the best writer...yet they just gave him the entire project.
    It's not so much a reboot as it is a poor mockbuster. All JJ did was copy everything but "improve" it by magnifying its traits. BB-8 is smaller than r2, maz is even older and quirkier than yoda, Rey is even poorer then luke, death star more powerful, etc.. and by doing that he ended up ruining the entire franchise. The dude turned the victors from the original trilogy back into underdogs in less than 40 years and they ended up even worse off and with less power then they were in the originals. Then he created an even more powerful sun eating death planet that magic missiles the entire galactic government that could have possibly helped the resistance. Anything after that really had no choice but to be shit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •