View Poll Results: Who is WoW's main competitor?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Other MMOs

39 26.17%
  • Other Non-MMOs

110 73.83%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    That feel when you have more fun with resident evil 7 (8 soon) then you do with the nzoth patch .. .... viscous

(Seriously don't do meth kids)
    meth kids?it is the truth,lately any game amuses me more than wow.wow does not have 1 direct competitor, it has many, because luckily there are many more fun games, and I have named resident evil 7 as one of them. there are many ... wow lately it is elitism and more elitism, hero classes are missing, a stupid story, feminism ... the truth is that it sucks lately, it is slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    Realistically? Probably free to play MOBAs, online shooters with some sort of progression system, and Battle Royale games, and it's pretty much long lost to those. A lot of genres have also aped the more appealing parts of MMORPGs (like progression and upgrades) without the tedious baggage of MMORPGs (manual grouping to do most anything, the general restrictive nature, the what I imagine the general populace sees as tedious and unfun combat)
    I think it depends on what you are looking for in a wow replacement. Games you mentioned never could hold my attention precisely because they only rely on dopamine hits to be engaging long term. But they have the opposite effect on me, where after 1 or 2 games I feel fatigued and looking to do something else.

Other MMOs are a viable replacement, and they did hold my attention, some longer than others, but there were always flaws that eventually drove me away, and back to wow. People like to shrug off "wow killers", but in reality there has never been a game that did all what wow did and something more on top of that. At least not in the long(ish) term. Wildstar and FFXIV were 2 that came closest, for me at least, but the former one drove me away with the horrible dungeon loot system and died of lack of content updates shortly after, and the latter one had a slew of tiny issues that eventually annoyed me in to quitting.

Outside of MMOs I tend to avoid live service games, as they are basically MMOs but worse. Division 2 was(is) a perfect example of that. It wants to be an MMO, but with castrated social features, slow updates, rehashed content and low variety, and lack of commitment to the actual live service idea. Had a very similar feeling on Destiny 2.

I do take breaks from wow, and they can range from days to years. When I do, I usually have a game or 5 in mind that I want to play. But it's never a permanent leave, as I know that eventually I will be done with what I am playing, because that is the case with any non MMO game. The biggest distraction so far has been DoS2, which racked up near 1.5k hours for me, but that is an exception to my normal habits, and even it is wearing thin.

I am still hopeful that one day will will see a truly "next gen" MMO, a "wow killer", something that actually lasts. But MMO scene is barren and mostly Asian these days.

Have you ever played another MMORPG? None of them are any good at all. The only real competition it has is FF XIV (debatably has more players now), but I think the issue is that the MMORPG market itself is dying. I don't think WoW has to worry about "competition" but rather no one is interested in an MMORPG anymore.

Personally, I hope that changes some day. MMORPG is definitely my favorite genre. I want a game exactly like WoW but with a team that is innovative like WoW used to be. I swear Blizzard used to introduce some new features and I'd be like, "Dang, I didn't even know I wanted that!" I haven't felt like that since WotLK. While WotLK wasn't my favorite expansion overall (MoP was really easy to continue playing all day every day the whole time for some reason), I really miss that feeling I'd get when I saw announcements and the excitement of waiting to try out that new feature.

With WotLK, I remember seeing:

- Dungeon Finder (inb4 trolls dungeon finder bad blah blah... one of my favorite features ever added to any game). People hate it now (unfounded), but people forget that when it was announced, there was next to no complaints about it. Nothing but excitement. Imagine no longer having to get people in trade chat, fly all the way to the dungeon, then find out they're a troll, they're stupid, and they suck, then having to kick them, fly back to the city.... you get the point. It was an awesome feature when it was announced. ***note I disapprove of Raid Finder. If we're going to have an easy-mode, it should be a solo scenario-type expedition thing to tell the story imo--not about getting gear***

- New class. I didn't even care to play it, but it was new so I wanted to try it. This still comes on a time schedule except SL broke that schedule so idk anymore. I have done this with every class every time there's a new one though. I level it to max to give it a try.

- Naxx. A legendary Classic raid that got to be experienced by nearly 3x the playerbase of Classic. Still one of the best raids to ever launch to this day imo. The remake announcement was awesome (them removing the Classic version, less awesome).

- A massive, open-world PvP zone that had active participants in it (back when Blizzard could, you know, handle more than 20 people in a room at once).

- Achievements. What a glorious feature. More importantly, WotLK introduced ridiculous achievements like falling and not dying, killing critters, etc. We don't really see "fun" achievements get added anymore. Their system has basically turned back into the same boring system that every other game has. Most of the strange/fun/etc. achievements were added with the initial addition of the system itself.

- Heirlooms. This is heavily opinionated possibly, but I really didn't give a crap about the EXP bonus. I loved feeling like I could level another character and the sheer power I felt like I could give them. Now that they've nerfed them and made basic dungeon gear better than them, I don't even level alts anymore. I understood why remove that OP feeling, but I feel like in doing so, they also removed the idea that "oh hey, you did this before, here's an easy mode for doing it again" and turned it into "new players aren't OP so you shouldn't be either." Basically what actually happened is now I can make an alt super OP, but it costs me gold instead and the new players still are like, "wtf is going on?" Failure of a change in my opinion, but like I said, I didn't even care about the EXP bonus from the get-go.

- Multiple leveling routes that didn't scale. I don't know about anyone else, but I was super disappointed in basically all xpac leveling from Cata onward because they made it (basically) one route to level. Legion tried to "change" it and do it the same way that BFA has done it where you pick your zone and it all scales to you. Cool in theory, but I prefer the old way where there was 2 routes you could (basically) take and stuff DIDN'T scale up with you.

The upside is I love stories. I play tons of games, I read tons of books, I watch tons of movies/TV shows, I read tons of comics, etc. and Warcraft's story is one of my favorite of all time. If I didn't like the story so much, I probably would have quit after MoP after having to experience WoD. I'm incredibly stoked for SL's story. It's sad, though, that there's literally no feature announcement that has me going "cool!" Some could be something, but didn't turn into something. For example, classes getting their baseline spells would be cool if, I don't know, I could go 50/50 into 2 specs like when we had talent trees. My 100% frost mage having fireball literally does nothing for me or anyone else (maybe the enemy if I'm dumb enough to cast it?).

Probably something in the asian market, seeing as a huge proportion of WoW's playerbase is based in China.

If strictly speaking about MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    hahahahaha....oh you was serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... LoL is a joke compared to the Juggernaut WoW is and it has no competition.

also how many billions does Riot make on Lol each year? exactly ZERO....
    You know League has in a month , more players then account were made in wow until mop.

130 million players a month vs 13 million player was wows peak.
    Lets not even talk about what money they make with skins

League of legends from 2009 - 2019 est. $10.098 billion (as of 2019). FREE TO PLAY

Warcraft from 1994 - 2019 est. $11.227 billion. ( this inclused the almost 2 billion from hearthstone)

Most MMO's are not even close to WoW's numbers. I'd say WoW Classic is the closest competitor lmao

League of Legends has been the world's most played game since around 2012 (still is by a massive margin which I find insane, could it be the most played game in history in terms of overall hours played?) and they did take some of WoW's PvP playerbase away. The awakening of MOBAs in general took away some of the people who found WoW through Warcraft 3 and mainly PvPed.

I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    League of Legends put wow on its knees and keept it there long enough for other games to become juggernauts
    Aha...

Ahahaha...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Themselves.
    They seem to be losing as they resign themselves to being happy having a smaller community of microtransaction buying whales hooked up like drug addicts

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    You can find overlap between any two games, I'm sure. But I wouldn't say there is a particular argument to be made that a large part of WoW players will be playing LoL, or any MOBA for that matter.
    A lot of the people who quit WoW in late WotLK/early Cata did so because they wanted to play LoL instead. Same thing happened when DotA2 came later.

The rise of LoL happened at the exact same time as the so called "fall of WoW" (declining sub numbers post WotLK), and that's not just a coincidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Aha...

Ahahaha...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I hate LoL, but his statement is objectively true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    - Multiple leveling routes that didn't scale. I don't know about anyone else, but I was super disappointed in basically all xpac leveling from Cata onward because they made it (basically) one route to level. Legion tried to "change" it and do it the same way that BFA has done it where you pick your zone and it all scales to you. Cool in theory, but I prefer the old way where there was 2 routes you could (basically) take and stuff DIDN'T scale up with you.

The upside is I love stories. I play tons of games, I read tons of books, I watch tons of movies/TV shows, I read tons of comics, etc. and Warcraft's story is one of my favorite of all time. If I didn't like the story so much, I probably would have quit after MoP after having to experience WoD. I'm incredibly stoked for SL's story. It's sad, though, that there's literally no feature announcement that has me going "cool!" Some could be something, but didn't turn into something. For example, classes getting their baseline spells would be cool if, I don't know, I could go 50/50 into 2 specs like when we had talent trees. My 100% frost mage having fireball literally does nothing for me or anyone else (maybe the enemy if I'm dumb enough to cast it?).

Mob scaling with your lvl was only added in Legion, and the only choice you had about your lvling in WotLK was if you wanted to do Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord. After that, you always went Dragonblight -> Grizzly Hills -> Zul'Drak -> Sholazar Basin. Icecrown and Storm Peaks were for all intents and purposes max lvl zones.

You had the same choice in Cata, with Hyjal vs Vasj'ir.

Also, the WC3 fanboy in me is still mad about how they fucked up Icecrown and the Lich King in general in WotLK. It was supposed to be called Icecrown GLACIER, and they should have swapped the aesthethics of Storm Peaks and Icecrown. Icecrown SHOULD be the most "wintery" place in Northrend, with raging blizzards and unforgiving cold, like in that Sons of Hodir questing area with the frozen Frost Giants and Dwarves fighting, with the heavy snow effect. What it should not have been (but ultimately turned out to become), was Mordor 2.0.

Then there was Ner'Zhul, the REAL Lich King, mastermind behind everything that happened in WC3 and the orchestrator of Arthas eventual fate: Banished in a mental battle by his underling Arthas. Everything about that is wrong. First of all, Arthas' loyalty to the Ner'Zhul was unwavering in WC3. Of all the Scourge characters, he would be the last to betray the Lich King. In the extremely unlikely event of Arthas acting like that, and actually betraying him, Ner'Zhul would have obliterated Arthas. Ner'Zhul was waaaay more experienced, and on top of that, he was himself the source of the power Arthas used to banish him...

And fuck the new lore where the Lich King is suddenly a title, where the Helm of Domination is the main source of its power. No. Ner'Zhul was the Lich King. All his powers were his alone, a result of his transformation into a spectral spirit, after having been tortured and infused with endless amounts of Necromantic energies by Kil'Jaeden and the Nathrezim. The Helm was merely a container to hold his essence.

To hell with canon. The old lore is the real canon.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2020-07-04 at 02:18 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

There are other mmos people actually play?

I live at a location, somewhere, ya know? :D
    "To hell with canon. The old lore is the real canon."

I...like the current lore more tho. D:

- - - Updated - - -

"I hate LoL, but his statement is objectively true." I guess. But I feel like LoL Players hate LoL more than WoW players do WoW, y'know? More players doesn't really equate to "better".

This is 2020, who in their right mind thinks other MMO's are a "main" competitor? I don't think ANY MMO was ever a "main" competitor to WoW, especially not now.

To play WoW at a decent level takes quite a lot of time anymore. Even in the end-of-expansion lull you still need to do visions for sockets, farm content for echoes for corruption, raid weekly, and do a weekly keystone. During patch launches it is even more hectic and time consuming, especially with all the grinds they've added recently.

I think the main competition is other games that don't require large time commitments and can be picked up at your leisure. WoW is really the only time-limited game I play. I used to do D4 Seasons and PoE Seasons, but I just got tired of the constant resets, learning the newest builds, and all the time it took. I still have enough time for WoW but it is becoming harder as other obligations come up in my life. You feel really punished in a game like WoW if you miss a week, sometimes even if you miss just a day if you're doing a time-gated grind like Flying. If life makes you miss enough, you might just give up on it.

Many other games require a fairly low time commitment and you can play the fun part of the game straight away. Take Overwatch, a game I still love and play periodically. The only time-sensitive thing is your season rank which only requires a few hours to do your matches to rank for the season. I don't need to do anything in OW except queue and play. It's straight into the fun. WoW requires a lot of setup and support activities for you to raid each week. Even worse if you're not in a guild organized group.

WoW's fairly slow and grindy model struggles against games that are constant fun. MOBAs, Battle Royale, Shooters, Racing Games, Action, Adventure, RPG, etc, all usually don't have the limitations and time requirements of WoW. They can be played really casually if you want, but can have a high skill cap and good competitive scene.
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    People seem to be stuck in the mindset that other MMOs are WoW's competition, but I'm not sure that is true.
    When I take breaks from WoW, I don't go play other MMOs. I go play other types of games, because ultimately if I want to play an RPG that allows slow paced end-game progression (which is what I prefer in RPGs) then I can play WoW.

So I go play strategy and management games, or sometimes FPS games.

It also seems to me that more and more games and franchises are selling games as a service / subscription nowadays or have taken elements from WoW which are to stimulate a similar sort of daily grind or longterm progression.

If I want to play Civilization? > Season Pass with regular promised content updates throughout the year.
    If I want to play Apex Legends? > Hey, don't forget to do your daily challenges and unlocking your Battle Pass levels!
    If I want to play No Man's Sky > Hey, don't forget about your daily mission table, daily quests and your agriculture!

It appears to me like the other MMOs aren't nearly as prominent as many other non-MMO games out there at the moment.
    MMO genre is dead. Main Wow competitors are:
    1) Session-based games, where you can jump right into "content", not crawl to it for 20 minutes through aggro, dazes, dismounts, artificial obstacles, etc. And if they're PVP games - they're tuned specifically for PVP. Not imbalanced for ages.
    2) Casual games, that allow players to play at their own pace - not pace, dictated by developers, who make ton of mandatory daily content to complete. They're also easier and more relaxing, rather, than challenging. Not all players are ready to have stress in game after already having stress at work. They want to relax.
    3) Mobile games. Yeah. It's evil. But it's marketing crap. Back in old times kids played NES and notebooks, tablets and smartphones were for big business guys. And now every kid has 1500$ iPhone. For what purpose? Nobody knows. But if we have demand, we'll have supply. And kids get used to mobile games instead of getting used to console or PC games. And after that they just can't play "complex" PC games with keyboard and mouse control, as they've got used to poking screens of their mobiles with their finger.

retail WOW's main competitor is classic WOW. and possibly classic TBC in the future for the player base, but not for blizzard in a way. they collect $$ no mater what. classic version with all the servers is like a group of private servers that rob retail of players.

many of the top streamers, are even stressed trying to play two versions of a game, and had to make a decision....classic or BFA

even though TBC is not out, diehard classic WOW guilds are on TBC private servers already practicing for Classic TBC, same guilds were on private servers practicing BWL a month plus back, are now already practicing for AQ and Naxx.

WoW competitor is WoW. WoW Retail had many trying to compete but there's no competition besides Classic.

- - - Updated - - -
    @pinkz +1

-----

unironically, itself

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    League has over 100 million unique player a month. you really think they just appeared over night? League has a similiar universe to wow and is based on warcraft dota, also defined a new genre. You really think people cant find a new genre they like which never before really existed ?

Wow bleed player into league. not all, but many
    Interesting how you chose to not include a source to back up your claim that LoL has over 100M MAUs.

WoW's biggest competitor is WoW. It's a garbage mmo made by inept devs.

Ff14 is seen as a competitor since most have who only played wow have gone during the wod and bfa exodus. Some might say that Ff14 should do like some things like in wow, but they just want an updated wow.