Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A must for WoW’s survival imo

TLDR: Blizzard, please make every class/spec as fun as DH.

Minimal approach lazy busy work game design has to go.
    I really think that the three buttons for single target offensive spells need to be targetless / frontal, off the gcd, banned from getting maccroed if this game is to survive against action combat. Overwatch style, or it won’t survive when new world releases soon.

Action combat doesn’t need more than three abilities because you’re not automatically attacking.

Changing three abilities alone won’t turn WoW into an action combat game but will just make the gameplay more fun. You still need to tab target for auto attacking.

Many abilities are already targetless frontal attacks.
    Auto attacking is just dull and boring. I’m just saying wow needs something to balance things out, half the combat system being dull is OK, but not all of it. This is why AoE classes like demon hunter feels so much more fun than the most boring class in the history of gaming: wow paladin.

Half the combat system is automated bot style...might as well just switch to mobile mmos at this point...

Edit: please don’t dwell on the action vs tab targeting part of this post. It’s just something I threw out there.

I don’t care about the auto attack damage. It’s just NOT FUN. At least remove a few abilities from the GCD and disallow macroing them. That should balance out the issue of combat dullness.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2020-07-03 at 09:45 AM.

An action combat WoW wouldn't be WoW. Would be WoW 2 or something.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you- you could, you’ll do, you- you wants, you, you could do so, you- you’ll do, you could- you, you want, you want them to do you so much you could do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Changing three abilities alone won’t turn WoW into an action combat combat game but will just make the gameplay more fun. You still need to tab target for auto attacking.

Many single target abilities are already targetless frontal attacks.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Overwatch style, or it won’t survive when new world releases soon.
    Hell no, that would be Wowverwatch, not WoW.

If WoW dies because of such stuff, then it deserved to vanish, like the old mmo-rpgs once did (although they still manifest as weird gacha-fuelled undead).

If it dies, it dies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you- you could, you’ll do, you- you wants, you, you could do so, you- you’ll do, you could- you, you want, you want them to do you so much you could do anything?
    yes
    loud sound

Changing three abilities alone won’t turn WoW into an action combat combat game but will just make the gameplay more fun. You still need to tab target for auto attacking.

Many single target abilities are already targetless frontal attacks.
    Worked well for SWG innit.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Obligatory.

OT: This idea is terrible. WoW is a MMO, not a shitty MoBA. If I wanted to play a shitty MoBA I'd play a shitty MoBA.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really think that the three buttons for single target offensive spells need to be targetless / frontal, off the gcd, banned from getting maccroed if this game is to survive against action combat. Overwatch style, or it won’t survive when new world releases soon.

Action combat doesn’t need more than three abilities because you’re not automatically attacking.

Changing three abilities alone won’t turn WoW into an action combat game but will just make the gameplay more fun. You still need to tab target for auto attacking.

Someone else tried to bring up this argument a while back. Add it to the mountain sized list of what will kill WoW. It won't.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by saltysquidoon View Post
    have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you- you could, you’ll do, you- you wants, you, you could do so, you- you’ll do, you could- you, you want, you want them to do you so much you could do anything?
    im weak lmfao

Never

Keeping you busy is more important than you having fun (for Blizzard)

Sounds contradictory?
    Well...dont talk to me...ask Blizzard why they do stuff like this.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is you're suggesting here.

Are you suggesting that WoW's combat be dumbed down to just three attack buttons and nothing else? And by "targetless", do you mean turning those abilities into skillshots that you have to aim?

Because if so, that's a terrible fucking idea. WoW's combat does not need to be overhauled, and the answer to WoW's survival is not to turn WoW into a completely different game. Just go play a completely different game.

But feel free to correct me if I'm unclear on this "action combat" of yours.

WoW actual combat system is, like, the LEAST problematic thing about the game. Yes it's an action-button MMO, but it does that really, really well.

It's the OTHER things that are a problem (in BFA): repetitive, grindy, busywork content; boring or obnoxious class mechanics; horrible gearing system; FUBAR'd lore; nonsensical restrictions on toys and cosmetics; and so on and so forth.

You're trying to fix the one thing that really doesn't need fixing.

Auto attacking is just dull and boring. I’m just saying wow needs something to balance things out, half the combat system being dull is OK, but not all of it. This is why AoE classes like demon hunter feels so much more fun than the most boring class in the history of gaming: wow paladin.

Half the combat system is automated bot style...might as well just switch to mobile mmos at this point...

Why do you care? You already abandoned the game so your opinion bears no relevance.

10+ Year Old Account
    or it won’t survive when new world releases soon.
    LUL

No, that game is just another mediocre survival crafting game, it's not a threat to any MMORPG, let alone WoW. New World caters to a completely difference audiance, and it ain't the steryotypical MMORPG player that WoW's audiance is made up of.

WoW has it's problems and none of them are what you just listed.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-07-03 at 03:26 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    LUL

No, that game is just another mediocre survival crafting game, it's not a threat to any MMORPG, let alone WoW. New World caters to a completely difference audiance, and it ain't the steryotypical MMORPG player that WoW's audiance is made up of.

WoW has it's problems and none of them are what you just listed.
    WoW is 80% problems.

New World, you mean the "sandbox" mmorpg (sandbox aka, it s easier to tell it's a sandbox and let player loot 3 stick of wood to make fire and cook a salmon that actually putting challenging and interesting objectives into the game)

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Honestly WoW's survival in the super long term would require a "WoW 2" or a spiritual successor MMO imo. Doesn't have to be a direct sequel or even related to Warcraft, but Blizzard sorely needs an MMO that is formed on a newer engine, with more modern game designs and philosophies. There are simply improvements WoW sorely needs that just cant be done on the game's 15 year old engine. Flying mechanics, mounts in general, underwater combat, etc etc. These are things where potential could only really be brought out in a new game engine. There's also the fact that most of the playerbase is highly adverse to drastic change to the game. As much as people complain, we are also incredibly attached to the formulaic patterns we've gotten used to over the years. Blizzard has essentially designed themselves into a hole with WoW: they created a pattern of QoL changes, class rehashing, and novelty features every year that the players expect them to keep continuing. So instead of trying anything new with WoW they continue to reinvent the wheel.

TL;DR - I second the WoW 2 notion. If we really wanted to see anything beyond QoL changes, one-note gimmicks, and novelty features every xpac then they really have to move on to an entirely new and modern MMO IP. Not even a direct sequel, just a spiritual successor that incorporates ideas and gameplay designs. Given what Blizz is even able to do with current WoW every expansion, the potential for gameplay mechanics and design features in a blank slate for a 2020 MMO is limitless by comparison.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2020-07-03 at 04:35 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

WoW is 80% problems.
    thats been your stance since classic was announced

listen its obviously not a requirement to "save/fix" WoW

action based combat simply doesnt work in the game and changing it up would make many including myself quit

now im not saying WoW doesnt have problems heck if Runes of Magic wasnt pay to win i would be burning all my time there because the systems there are what WoW needs
    player housing and guild housing with guild castle wars
    professions requiring you to choose specializations past a certain point
    dual class system where you can buy hybrid abilities
    armor dying (but fuck the micro transactions)
    race specific classes
    world mobs that arent really big hitting bosses but still have some form of reward

play a caster, then you need to focus your target and have it in front of you
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.