Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Humans can corrupt anything.

But I'm not surprised that pedophiles congregate around games and becoming "famous" on the gaming scene to get access.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just echo a good comment I saw about this because I have the same thoughts:

I’m going to be blunt, and I honestly don’t care. I do not like the competitive Smash community or its fans.

I was appalled when I heard this was happening, and I’m glad the community has the opportunity to purge these people from their ranks, so the victims can heal. Hopefully this behavior is to put to an end.

But that’s not why I dislike the community. They put these players on pedestals. If you sub to any of the smash communities on reddit, a majority of the topics are about popular players rather than the game itself.

As a kid who grew up with Smash, enjoyed talking about the game with my friends, I really don’t think the pro-community has been too good for the game’s overall image.

It’s gotten too competitive and commercialized. It’s not about the game any more, and more about the pro’s opinions about high level play. It isn’t about modes, trophies, or high scores on the home run contest.

All anyone wants to talk about is some 30-year-old’s opinions on tiers.

Last year when a pro player called on Nintendo to support the competitive scene with money, bringing attention to low-winnings, I decided to step away. I didn’t want to see Nintendo get involved, and the off chance they did, I didn’t want to be apart of the casual community any more and have to read more about some weird-nicknamed kid from Mexico and his picks for some grand finale tournament rather than people discussing the actual game.

And it’s quite frankly cancerous. Back before Smash Ultimate launched there were a handful of topics popping up bemoaning casual players infecting their sub with anticipation. They’d rather see people still talk about Smash 4, and where the competitive seen was going. And then you’d see replies agreeing, and saying that casual fans will go away after the game launches, and they’ll be able to claim their sub back.

So my first thought when this news came out was I felt bad for the victims. My second thought was good for Nintendo having the foresight not to “invest” in the competitive scene filled with pedos, and my final thought is I hope this, coupled with COVID, destroys Smash’s celebrity culture.
    Some of those pros are borderline deified by the community, and now that they are being accused (some with proofs) people will still defend 'em. "He didn't knew she was underage!" and stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even something as innocent as Super Mario isn't sacred :S

Not a sex cult - the terminology is important. This is people in positions of relative power abusing that same power to hurt extremely vulnerable people. Something like a sex cult is more rare and cults have very specific criteria. Calling it one undermines just how common this kind of terrifying shit is.

Really sad to see. The silver lining is that with all the allegations coming forward and then being confirmed, this can make a community and the people that belong to it safer, and voices have been given to people who didn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Even something as innocent as Super Mario isn't sacred :S
    Have you ever seen the smash esport community before? There are many compilations on youtube that perfectly illustrate them.

Should probably specify that this is going on in every FGC game, not just Smash.

10+ Year Old Account
    So is anyone going to the cops about it or is it another case of spam it on Twitter until someone kills themselves, the accusers celebrate it for a day and then go nuclear on their tweets and claim they had no effect on what happened and try to distance themselves as much as possible with no actual investigation being done?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Crazy shit. First all the Twitch streamer allegations and then this stuff. It's good that people are coming forward though, stuff like this needs to stop. I bet this is part of why Nintendo never fully supports competitive scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Have you ever seen the smash esport community before? There are many compilations on youtube that perfectly illustrate them.
    I have not seen it actually. Bad I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    pedophilia is an epidemic, there's no reason for it other than certain people just being born evil.

The sad part is this isn't even over. It just keeps going and going. It's not really surprising though. Smash is a party game meant to lure in kids with kiddy mascots like Super Mario and Donkey Kong. And a large group of pedophiles exploited that.

I'm more surprised not much attention is given to Sky Williams. He owned the Epstein-like mansion where they raped kids, but nothing is said of him past that. He used to be a LoL and WoW player.
    This is why many of the hot topic mass media issues that get pushed are always suspect, as child sexual abuse and human trafficking is WAY more prevalent in the US compared to the "crisis of the day" that normally makes the mainstream headlines. You want an actual slavery issue that actually exists and is a problem, human trafficking of women/children for sexual purposes would easily capture the attention of almost everyone (except the Epsteins of the world, and probably a bunch of politicians who probably dabble in such activities). The fact that such depravity may have tendrils in the gaming community shouldn't be a shock at all, regardless of the allegations concerning the Smash Bros scene.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    This is why many of the hot topic mass media issues that get pushed are always suspect, as child sexual abuse and human trafficking is WAY more prevalent in the US compared to the "crisis of the day" that normally makes the mainstream headlines. You want an actual slavery issue that actually exists and is a problem, human trafficking of women/children for sexual purposes would easily capture the attention of almost everyone (except the Epsteins of the world, and probably a bunch of politicians who probably dabble in such activities). The fact that such depravity may have tendrils in the gaming community shouldn't be a shock at all, regardless of the allegations concerning the Smash Bros scene.
    Stop talking dogturds.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Both (all?) can and should be addressed. People talking about "hot topic mass media issues" doesn't stop people from talking about child sex abuse and human trafficking, you don't have to pick one or the other. Some things are much, much harder to bring to light than other things are.

Is it me, or am I still missing the proof this happened? If this happened, there will be police, there will be lawsuits and those that committed the crimes will rot in jail.

If this is another Twitter outing trying to bring down another community, without any receipts, proof, or police involved, the accusers may rot in hell.

As usual, the harder they virtue signal, the more skeletons they have in their closets.
    Isn't it funny how this keeps confirming?

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Is it me, or am I still missing the proof this happened? If this happened, there will be police, there will be lawsuits and those that committed the crimes will rot in jail.

If this is another Twitter outing trying to bring down another community, without any receipts, proof, or police involved, the accusers may rot in hell.
    What "another twitter outing"?

People really need to start giving victims some credibility. Hell, I even saw people spamming "innocent until proven otherwise" with the whole josh incident regardless of the fact that there was already so much vods, screenshots and shit to back it up that the guy was indeed a class A predator piece of shit.

It's really hard to prove abuse cases and it's really, really hard for the victims to step forward and one of the reasons is all the scumbag bro-culture incels doubting them every step of the way.

We don't see these things surfacing because its "trendy" in some twisted way to accuse people of misconduct. It's due to fact that the victims are starting to have a voice finally and atleast some take them seriously, although it still saddens to see how many still rather sweep it under the rug because it's their buddies, idols and whatever acting shady.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    What "another twitter outing"?

People really need to start giving victims some credibility. Hell, I even saw people spamming "innocent until proven otherwise" with the whole josh incident regardless of the fact that there was already so much vods, screenshots and shit to back it up that the guy was indeed a class A predator piece of shit.

It's really hard to prove abuse cases and it's really, really hard for the victims to step forward and one of the reasons is all the scumbag bro-culture incels doubting them every step of the way.

We don't see these things surfacing because its "trendy" in some twisted way to accuse people of misconduct. It's due to fact that the victims are starting to have a voice finally and atleast some take them seriously, although it still saddens to see how many still rather sweep it under the rug because it's their buddies, idols and whatever acting shady.
    As an actual fact, most Twitter cases have been proven to be false accusations so far. Angry Joe(who might still make a case of it), Johnny Depp (who made a case of it himself) Vic Mignogna(who made a case of it himself) and now you're going to state that those cases have not yet been proven, because their court cases have not been closed, but you were unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt, or simply due process by law, to begin with.

There are more names out there, people who have been proven innocent in the court of law, like Andy Signore. So far, the only major case is Epstein and the entirety of Hollywood, including Bill Gates, former presidents and so called civil rights fighters turn out to be his friends. Hell, a woman was Epstein's ringleader and groomer.

I do not believe people, I believe facts.

And somehow, the men always have the receipts, and the women never ever fucking do.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2020-07-07 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    And somehow, the men always have the receipts, and the women never ever fucking do.
    Sexual abuse is not men vs women issue genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Sexual abuse is not men vs women issue genius.
    Maybe you should view that comment in the context it was meant and not pervert it with a niche within the niche. I suppose if it involves two women, neither have the receipts and if it's both men, both have the receipts. I kid.

And again, if this specific case actually happened (or a lot of it happened) many lawsuits will follow, or it's BS.