Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pass I respect server autonomy

Realm identity carries a lot of value for some players. I could personally never move out of my realm "Draenor" for my horde characters, and "Silvermoon" for my alliance characters. It's where I started, and there are a lot of history behind these names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouri Kogorou View Post
    one solution i find is to allow them to have a family name
    Imagine the quantity of "Leroy Jenkins","Keanu Reeves" and similar... Guess chuck norris is kinda passé nowadays though :P
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

i think it is perfect time to drop the front-end of server related stuff like realms and connected realms, leave the back-end of server management for the techs.

Blizzard need to push for this even if they have to force people to rename their characters, one solution i find is to allow them to have a family name.

we no longer need realms in the game, everything is connected already, might as well just make all characters in mega servers and connect them.
    So you're offering to give up all your character names?

15+ Year Old Account
    i think it is perfect time to drop the front-end of server related stuff like realms and connected realms, leave the back-end of server management for the techs.

Blizzard need to push for this even if they have to force people to rename their characters, one solution i find is to allow them to have a family name.

we no longer need realms in the game, everything is connected already, might as well just make all characters in mega servers and connect them.
    Why would they ever force people to rename at this point? Blizzard already did the *hard* work of making tech to allow realms to connect without merging. Other mmo's don't do this because it's not worth their time when their population dips below 100k.

Connections are like bloated Siamese twins. We all still log into our core server. That never changes. So there's multiple heads sharing the same resources when it comes to guilds, auction house, etc. But then we all share the world servers which are each on their own cluster. They may be in the same data center but they are definitely not all on a shared machine.

You also have the issue of different data center locations. You don't want to merge the LA location with Chicago for example. That would create unnecessary latency which you'd just complain about. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Americas_r..._by_datacenter

You might see a 1/3rd mega server for the US/Oceanic Realms. Europe on the other hand has 4 data centers.

Btw who wants to login after 5 years and suddenly all their characters are renamed along with their servers and their guild? That's what a shitty company would do to its players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Realm identity carries a lot of value for some players. I could personally never move out of my realm "Draenor" for my horde characters, and "Silvermoon" for my alliance characters. It's where I started, and there are a lot of history behind these names.
    Realm identity went out the door the day paid transfers were created. Yes people such as you have server pride and hang onto that feeling but for most of us it's long gone. That being said the issue with names was solved with connected realms. The OP doesn't doesn't understand how it even works.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Your proposed change would not benefit anyone.
    Oh it would benefit a tons of players. Especially those on dead servers where AH doesn't even work. And those who has problems finding guilds.

The only problem is that merged mega-AH would be extremely laggy.

So I guess quasi mega-server but without AH. So you can join guilds that are on other "realms" but you cant buy their stuff from AH.
    And forcing rename is unnecessary, just make it work like connected realms.