Shadowlands and game direction- Regifting abilities

I was looking at Legendaries for Shadowlands and it's all stuff I already earned before on my Death Knight. All of us have previously earned every Legendary I've seen so far for the only class that I play that has a Legendary list. They may add more but that does not retract from the fact they make me re-earn stuff I already earned and was then taken away. How is this forgivable game design?

If it stays like this, they will just remove them after Shadowlands and make us re-earn it all over again a third time? Ugh...that's pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    I was looking at Legendaries for Shadowlands and it's all stuff I already earned before on my Death Knight. All of us have previously earned every Legendary I've seen so far for the only class that I play that has a Legendary list. They may add more but that does not retract from the fact they make me re-earn stuff I already earned and was then taken away. How is this forgivable game design?

If it stays like this, they will just remove them after Shadowlands and make us re-earn it all over again a third time? Ugh...that's pretty terrible.
    this is the way the game has been for some time now. they arent going to give classes an xpacs worth of new abilities in the kind of numbers we have seen in the last 2 and just add to them in the next xpac. these are systems that are ours for 2 years and then mostly gone. the alternative is either giving us all new things they will take away, or give us nothing (or next to nothing). its what you sign up for. if you dont like it (and i could understand if you didnt) then you need to decide if its worth playing. because no amount of posting on forums or twitter or whatever is going to change it completely.

Reasons why BFA's class design was bad: The pruning and removal of good class abilities you've learned in Legion.

Glad they're at the very least giving them back in SL, but I agree with you. It's a stupid fucking issue that I hope doesn't happen again in future expansions.

It's not forgivable game design. Anyone who has half a brain is able to point it out for what it is - HORRIBLE game design.

It is pretty hilarious to watch the fanboys in their rapturous applause as Blizzard gives them a single crumb back. A crumb off the hundreds of sandwiches(features) they have ceremoniously deleted over the years.
    Last edited by DemonDays; 2020-07-06 at 12:02 AM.

Ever stopped to wonder that maybe calling everyone that disagrees with you "fanboys" is a little annoying and kinda degrades your argument?

It's what happens when your team is creatively bankrupt and unable or unwilling to take any risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's what happens when your team is creatively bankrupt and unable or unwilling to take any risks.
    This. They're also lazy. The bare minimum is all they seem to care about.

The current team seems to be completely out of ideas and even when they do have ideas, they're bad. How else would you sit through design meeting and greenlight Azerite Armor as it launched?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It certainly is horrible game design - But unfortunately, it's game design that makes sense for MMOs.

Blizzard's reasoning isn't necessarily wrong. You can't just keep giving and never taking away in these games. If they did, we'd all have to have 50-60 button rotations, or like 40 buttons that are never worth pressing, except in that rare instance where a situational spell is in it's best element. This isn't a great alternative.

The problem with it, as we've already known, is that we're basically just playing the same game over and over from the ground up every expansion. No matter what gimmick is thrown in to keep people interested for another expansion, the core game never changes - Get gear, kill bigger bosses, get better gear, repeat unto infinity. So when you go into an expansion with LESS than you had at the end of the last expansion, you feel bad. It never feels like a good thing to lose things. I still go back and look at old characters of mine, because I liked them in their hayday, but in their current iteration I don't like the way they play.

Eventually, every class feels like a shadow of what it once was, and you don't want to play ANY of the classes because they aren't as fun as they used to be.
    The problem is this:

The base design of the specs they came up with in Legion is garbage. It's hot garbage that was propped up by Rental Systems.

If they would just design a good solid base then the complaining would lessen.

Instead we get a Character with no eyes, no legs, no arms etc etc. Then we must give the Character these basic things it needs to function in the Talent Tree and with the stupid Rental Powers.

Then you get BfA where the legs and arms they gave us were only stubs.

I think pulling from legiondaries was a bad fucking move, they could have pulled off some more rebaked tier sets.

Super strain's a pretty cool idea even if it's just 'you become a dk from the past' and Phearamones has a funny name I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I think pulling from legiondaries was a bad fucking move, they could have pulled off some more rebaked tier sets.

Super strain's a pretty cool idea even if it's just 'you become a dk from the past' and Phearamones has a funny name I guess...
    We might be getting tier sets again later on down the line. But outside of that, I think Legiondary traits are fine here. Especially cause there's no more RNG aspect for them, which gives players a new type of advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

At least for Death Knight they have pulled from old tier sets, Artifact traits and some are Azerite traits. The problem is, we've earned these once already. You ran the raid, got your 4 piece or you grinded out that Legendary drop or whatever. We already earned these once no matter how you slice it. What will stop them from making us earn all this stuff again a 3rd or 4th time? This sort of borrowed power hamster wheel is new and super "in your face".
    At least previous hamster wheels were hidden by always changing your set bonus on the new raid sets keep it fresh. Now? It's the same stuff over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    We might be getting tier sets again later on down the line. But outside of that, I think Legiondary traits are fine here. Especially cause there's no more RNG aspect for them, which gives players a new type of advantage.
    They said we probably won't get the tier set bonuses.

I believe they were more talking about class themed armour sets.

Pretty much.

Can't dispute that.

Rental powers are the worst. I mean, if it's only one thing like set bonuses per tier, it's ok.
    When it's 3 systems on top of each other, it's obnoxious.

At least we can choose wich leggy to go for, rather than go for another terrible slot machine game the devs love.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Reasons why BFA's class design was bad: The pruning and removal of good class abilities you've learned in Legion.

Glad they're at the very least giving them back in SL, but I agree with you. It's a stupid fucking issue that I hope doesn't happen again in future expansions.
    This is actually why I'm looking forward to SL. We're getting back most of the stuff we lost from Legion -> BFA, and gear is finally gear again. I can't wait.

I don't mind rental powers if they're actually interesting. Azerite gear was dead on arrival and corruption was something literally nobody asked for.

One thing they seemed to learn from BfA is they are giving us shiny new toys early. Covenant abilities most noticeably. In BfA it took a long time to maybe get Azerite that added something to your class. This time it’s instant and iirc legendaries won’t take too long to get either?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account

Eh, I look at it as getting another chance to play with some fun stuff that we had in Legion. Like the extra charges of Heroic Leap, I died inside when my warrior hit 116 and lost access to that because she outleveled the Legion legendaries.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Eh, I look at it as getting another chance to play with some fun stuff that we had in Legion. Like the extra charges of Heroic Leap, I died inside when my warrior hit 116 and lost access to that because she outleveled the Legion legendaries.

I was somewhat torn when reading Wowhead, tbh. Half of me was like "F*** YA" I want that bonus back. The other half was like...I already chased and caught that carrot...once, feels bad.

Jesus fucking Christ, you guys are pathetic. They take old playstyles away and you are whining. They give us ways to get old playstyles back and you are whining again.

No matter what Blizzard does, one is for sure, you’ll be here to shit on it

10+ Year Old Account
    I was somewhat torn when reading Wowhead, tbh. Half of me was like "F*** YA" I want that bonus back. The other half was like...I already chased and caught that carrot...once, feels bad.
    I can see how someone would feel that way. It does feel a bit like 'here's some stuff we took away!' which the game does have a history of doing.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Yeah, that's why I've dropped the game for good since legion. Ion's team is really pathetic, they could develop a superb moba game, but they continuously fail to understand that you can't take away all of the character progression every new expansion in a MMORPG. And no, tier set bonuses and increasing haste\crit values due to increasing levels isn't the same as taking away basic class abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, you guys are pathetic. They take old playstyles away and you are whining. They give us ways to get old playstyles back and you are whining again. No matter what Blizzard does, one is for sure, you’ll be here to shit on it
    Yeah, right. Players are bad because they want new stuff added on top of old stuff which was added in previous expansions. Instead they get: 1. old stuff removed and 2. old stuff re-added in new expansion. Which is absolutely not what players wanted.

Maybe next time try thinking before mindless whining in your reply?
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

You cannot add new stuff all the time, genius...