1. #1

    Finally upgrading my 9 year old PC!

    Hey guys!
    You all recently helped me with a build for my housemate, and luckily, it is now my time to upgrade!
    My budget is around 1500 AUD (1000 USD), my resolution is 1920x1080 and i use two monitors.
    I want to be able to run most games to a high standard, but it's not that much of an issue as the most graphics intense games I play is Call of Duty Warzone and probably assassins creed Valhalla when that comes out, I intend to upgrade my GPU much further into the future when a new series comes out though, so I'm not really looking for GPU upgrades, I'm running a 980 TI which I'm happy with.
    I have to use CAD software for uni/work, such as AUTOcad, HEC-HMS and Auto desk.

    Thankfully, my old build has an 850W corsair gold power supply and I can use all my old hard drives as they are all in good shape and have windows! I will be using my old case which is huge.
    The parts I am looking to buy are these:

    PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/RxkTgJ

    CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($695.00 @ Centre Com)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($229.00 @ Centre Com)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($499.00 @ Centre Com)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($165.00 @ Centre Com)
    Total: $1588.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 22:28 AEST+1000

    I'm throwing up between the h100i and a noctua NH-d15, and the main reason I am going for that mobo/ram is due to them beign apart of this bundle which saves me a few bucks on the CPU and RAM whilst still being able to pick it up in store!
    I just like to get a second opinion on these things, as none of my friends are too tech savvy!

  2. #2
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,877
    PCPartPicker Part List

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($687.69 @ Amazon Australia)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.70 @ Device Deal)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($163.35 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $1194.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-06 00:24 AEST+1000

    You won't notice the different in games, it's 300 dollars cheaper, and will perform better in CPU-bound applications.
    Hell, you can even upgrade to 32/64gb of RAM and stay within the budget.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    PCPartPicker Part List

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($687.69 @ Amazon Australia)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.70 @ Device Deal)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($163.35 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $1194.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-06 00:24 AEST+1000

    You won't notice the different in games, it's 300 dollars cheaper, and will perform better in CPU-bound applications.
    Hell, you can even upgrade to 32/64gb of RAM and stay within the budget.
    This is a really bad advice. For fps games you either get a 3600 or Intel and overclock it. 12 core is just a waste of money and will get you less frames over 8core, and barely anything over 6 core.

    - - - Updated - - -

    @OP no reason to pay that much for a shitty Corsair AIO, it's just bad value. I know ID-Cooling is big in AU so get that if the looks are ok with you. If they're not Deepcool has some nice RGB AIOs.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This is a really bad advice. For fps games you either get a 3600 or Intel and overclock it. 12 core is just a waste of money and will get you less frames over 8core, and barely anything over 6 core.

    - - - Updated - - -

    @OP no reason to pay that much for a shitty Corsair AIO, it's just bad value. I know ID-Cooling is big in AU so get that if the looks are ok with you. If they're not Deepcool has some nice RGB AIOs.

    The only bad advice i see here is that you are suggesting a 6 core CPU is all you need these days for games and for the coming PS5/Series X ports.
    Even the Assassins Creed games he is playing benefit from an eight core CPU immensely.
    The next gen consoles will have a Zen2 CPU with 8/16 threads, so basically a 3700x with lower clocks.
    Also a 3700 and 3900 is NOT slower than a 3600, it is faster because it has a sligthly higher max boost, but the difference is small yes.

    @OP Why did you choose a 500$ mainboard if i may ask? That gives you absolutely no performance gain over a good 150-200$ board.
    It is literally a waste of money.
    You can go with Intel or AMD, depending on the game, the difference is none or an advantage for Intel in some games which like higher clockspeeds.
    Obviously a 12 core CPU would be better if you also multitask alot, stream or do editing stuff.

    I upgraded to a 3900x myself last november and i'm enjoying it alot (with a 2070S and a 144Hz 1440P display).

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalk3r View Post
    The only bad advice i see here is that you are suggesting a 6 core CPU is all you need these days for games and for the coming PS5/Series X ports.
    Read my post again, I'm talking about high fps gaming. All those games are not optimized to scale with core count but with frequency on purpose. Obviously those are not a thing on consoles since they're capped to 60 fps. Also, it's highly unlikely that new gen of consoles is going to change anything for PC gaming except more widespead raytracing adoption.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalk3r View Post
    Even the Assassins Creed games he is playing benefit from an eight core CPU immensely.
    That's a joke right there. Ubisoft game optimized for multicore CPUs? not in my lifetime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalk3r View Post
    @OP Why did you choose a 500$ mainboard if i may ask? That gives you absolutely no performance gain over a good 150-200$ board.
    I would guess because of built-in wifi. And no, it's not a waste.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

  6. #6
    Ahh the old "moar coarz" argument.

    Problem with your argument:

    Both current console ecosystems have been 8-core X86-64 CPUs for going on 7 years.

    Developers have had plenty of time to make games run better on more cores... (like, given developer lead time, 10 years)

    And yet here we are.

    You cant even call it porting differences, because the Xbone runs Windows 10, uses DirectX, etc.

    A six core-CPU will be plenty for decent gaming performance for the effective lifetime of the CPU (5-ish years).

    If games were going to suddenly use all those cores, theyd have done so 7 years ago. But that isnt how game dev works. They get it working to the minimum standard that the suits have set, and then they stop optimizing. Otherwise, those AC games that run like pigs on PC hardware would fly. After all, they run as good or better on low-IPC CPUs on the consoles but moving to a PC with a CPU with 50% more IPC and twice the clock speed there's no performance gain (in many cases, they run worse).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You won't notice the different in games, it's 300 dollars cheaper, and will perform better in CPU-bound applications.
    Hell, you can even upgrade to 32/64gb of RAM and stay within the budget.
    You've really opened my eyes to the fact that AMD is on an equal to footing with intel these days, I will be doing deeper research into the matter, thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    @OP no reason to pay that much for a shitty Corsair AIO, it's just bad value. I know ID-Cooling is big in AU so get that if the looks are ok with you. If they're not Deepcool has some nice RGB AIOs.
    Ok, I guess I'll save some cash and look at an air cooler, it won't be too hard to change the fan configuration on my existing case. In fact I think my brother in law has an old noctua nh-d14 he offered to me a year or so ago, I'll see if he still has it, however I think it is around 8 or so years old with minimal use, I wonder if that will be an issue.
    Edit: I doubt it will be an issue, it's just a heatsink and some fans. Awesome, 200 bucks saved!


    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalk3r View Post

    @OP Why did you choose a 500$ mainboard if i may ask? That gives you absolutely no performance gain over a good 150-200$ board.
    It is literally a waste of money.
    Honestly, just for looks and the smoothbrain mindset that expensive = better I also had some inkling that it would have a cool over clocking UI but I guess it won't provide any real benefits.
    Last edited by Aired; 2020-07-06 at 04:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This is a really bad advice. For fps games you either get a 3600 or Intel and overclock it. 12 core is just a waste of money and will get you less frames over 8core, and barely anything over 6 core.
    That's just not true.
    At all.
    The 3900x/3950x out perform the 3600 in gaming because they run faster. Add to that, that OP also does things other than gaming, it makes sense to invest in more cores.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aired View Post
    You've really opened my eyes to the fact that AMD is on an equal to footing with intel these days, I will be doing deeper research into the matter, thanks!
    No problem

    Ok, I guess I'll save some cash and look at an air cooler, it won't be too hard to change the fan configuration on my existing case. In fact I think my brother in law has an old noctua nh-d14 he offered to me a year or so ago, I'll see if he still has it, however I think it is around 8 or so years old with minimal use, I wonder if that will be an issue.
    Edit: I doubt it will be an issue, it's just a heatsink and some fans. Awesome, 200 bucks saved!
    It really won't. Air coolers don't degrade over time


    Honestly, just for looks and the smoothbrain mindset that expensive = better I also had some inkling that it would have a cool over clocking UI but I guess it won't provide any real benefits.
    BIOS' look really similar between all MOBO's by the same manufacturer for each chipset.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That's a joke right there. Ubisoft game optimized for multicore CPUs? not in my lifetime.
    There were problems at launch where they had issues running on 4-6 core CPUs but not 8+ cores, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know if that's been solved


    I would guess because of built-in wifi. And no, it's not a waste.
    You can get a very, very good PCIe wifi solution for 300 dollars. It is a waste to spend that much, unless it has some feature you can't get as a standalone product that you need (Like a super beefy VRM, or something)

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Azerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    3,320
    Wait for the end of this year.
    Then get B550+3070+4600(x).

  10. #10
    If you don't overclock you don't need an aftermarket cooler at all.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This is a really bad advice. For fps games you either get a 3600 or Intel and overclock it. 12 core is just a waste of money and will get you less frames over 8core, and barely anything over 6 core.
    I have to use CAD software for uni/work, such as AUTOcad, HEC-HMS and Auto desk.
    Did you read OP's post at all? Ryzen 9 have exceptional price / performance ratio for multithreaded work loads.
    <Security> of Frostmane EU

  12. #12
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,877
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    If you don't overclock you don't need an aftermarket cooler at all.
    Unless you prefer a quiet computer

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    If you don't overclock you don't need an aftermarket cooler at all.
    I will definitely be OCing!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouca View Post
    Did you read OP's post at all? Ryzen 9 have exceptional price / performance ratio for multithreaded work loads.
    Yes, those prof applications are all mostly frequency dependent, not thread.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aired View Post
    I will definitely be OCing!
    Yea, 10700K is a pretty good balanced choice then. Other one being 3700X, it's going to be somewhat slower but cooler, and cheaper.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •