Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    my first thought is that you need to spend some time with a dictionary and learn the definition of minimum.

Then I would suggest you go look up the definition of "try-hard"
    The OP mentioned absolutely none of this. You're the one defining the "minimum" and "try hard" in this discussion, as if your singular outlook on how the game should be played is the only thing that matters. I understand you're the center of your known universe but please realize that not everybody looks at things the same way you do. (This is exactly what I said in my first reply to you.)

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    **SNIP Nonsense no-one cares about***

tbh the opposite of what you are claiming is the truth, man. the OP is saying there is only one way to play. "you MUST have r15 cloak and you MUST have all R3+ Essences and you MUST have all the best corruptions, or it's not worth even buying the expansion!" (while this is paraphrased, it is what the op is asserting in the op.)

Except it simply isn't true and is a pants-on-head stupid way to think about things six months from the end of the expansion. at this point, there is no point in farming all that up. why, when all the content is already farmed, beaten, etc. you're not "pushing high level M+" you're following everyone else. you can if you want. but again, why?.

right now is the point of the expansion that anyone with brains is winding down to not burn out before the next expac. now's the time to level new toons so you can try other classes in the new expansion, or if you've not been happy on your server, levelling on a new one to try other servers out. you can still farm high M+ but again, why?

what I'm saying is not "you must all play my way" I'm telling op "Yo, there are multitudes of other ways to play, and if you want to start playing again, you can farm R15/R3 if you want, but it's not mandatory to play the game."

edit: additionally: at what point has "high level play requires high level gear to be farmed up" not been a part of wow?
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    I am itching to play some WoW (still havent purchased BfA, the first expansion I didn't play. Been playing for 12 years, steady).

Everytime I think about buying BfA and playing WoW I start thinking about all of time-gated grinds. The worst part is, by the time I finish all of these grinds to even begin to compete it's all going to be erased.
    Sucks, this game is in such an awkward state. In previous expansions you could catch up and play some what quickly. Now, I need rank 3 Essences, lvl 15 Cloak (my friend says this is the biggest as Corruptions increase DPS by insane amounts (20%?)), Specific Azerite traits.

Oh well, I can wait another 6 months, sucks though.
    Play healer. You can get by with rank 1 essences, rank 1 cloak and mediocre traits. (At least at the mythic+10 and heroic raiding level)

tbh the opposite of what you are claiming is the truth, man. the OP is saying there is only one way to play. "you MUST have r15 cloak and you MUST have all R3+ Essences and you MUST have all the best corruptions, or it's not worth even buying the expansion!" (while this is paraphrased, it is what the op is asserting in the op.)

Except it simply isn't true and is a pants-on-head stupid way to think about things six months from the end of the expansion. at this point, there is no point in farming all that up. why, when all the content is already farmed, beaten, etc. you're not "pushing high level M+" you're following everyone else. you can if you want. but again, why?.

right now is the point of the expansion that anyone with brains is winding down to not burn out before the next expac. now's the time to level new toons so you can try other classes in the new expansion, or if you've not been happy on your server, levelling on a new one to try other servers out. you can still farm high M+ but again, why?

what I'm saying is not "you must all play my way" I'm telling op "Yo, there are multitudes of other ways to play, and if you want to start playing again, you can farm R15/R3 if you want, but it's not mandatory to play the game."

edit: additionally: at what point has "high level play requires high level gear to be farmed up" not been a part of wow?
    I think what the OP is saying is based HEAVILY on the caveat of "If you want to play at the highest level of the meta you need....."

And that's the problem with a lot of these arguments: They're predicated on a perception that anything other than maximum optimization gained through basement-dwelling practices is not worth playing at all. And as you rightly said, that's just not the case. WoW does a pretty good job of supporting the casual. And as long as you don't get brainwashed by the meta, there is A LOT of game and fun to be had even this late in the expansion.

I mean, if you want do dive headfirst into the basement, and go full strength into chasing the meta, you could do that too. There's nothing wrong with that. But telling people that the meta is the ONLY thing worth playing is patently false.

Jesus fucking Christ man. Does it really rustle your jimmies that much that there exist people who'd like to play the game at a level slightly above the bare minimum? All I've repeatedly asked you to do is to consider that your position of "it's the end of expansion who the fuck cares?" isn't exactly one shared by all people and you've done nothing but berate, belittle and outright dismiss the slightest possibility so that you can double down on your singular viewpoint. I'm done with this conversation because the very idea that your world view isn't shared by 100% of players is seemingly offensive to you.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ man. Does it really rustle your jimmies that much that there exist people who'd like to play the game at a level slightly above the bare minimum? All I've repeatedly asked you to do is to consider that your position of "it's the end of expansion who the fuck cares?" isn't exactly one shared by all people and you've done nothing but berate, belittle and outright dismiss the slightest possibility so that you can double down on your singular viewpoint. I'm done with this conversation because the very idea that your world view isn't shared by 100% of players is seemingly offensive to you.
    Thank you. Very good post.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I think what the OP is saying is based HEAVILY on the caveat of "If you want to play at the highest level of the meta you need....."

And that's the problem with a lot of these arguments: They're predicated on a perception that anything other than maximum optimization gained through basement-dwelling practices is not worth playing at all. And as you rightly said, that's just not the case. WoW does a pretty good job of supporting the casual. And as long as you don't get brainwashed by the meta, there is A LOT of game and fun to be had even this late in the expansion.

I mean, if you want do dive headfirst into the basement, and go full strength into chasing the meta, you could do that too. There's nothing wrong with that. But telling people that the meta is the ONLY thing worth playing is patently false.
    This is what im trying to get across. thank you for the response.

Op seems mad that playing at top tier requires top tier gear, and if they cant get if immediately for free they don't want to play. im saying if they want to play, there's more to do than chasing the top tier metagame. thanks for phrasing it better for me
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

This is what im trying to get across. thank you for the response.

Op seems mad that playing at top tier requires top tier gear, and if they cant get if immediately for free they don't want to play. im saying if they want to play, there's more to do than chasing the top tier metagame. thanks for phrasing it better for me
    Looks like spot on.

People seem to forget that getting to top tier power always required a lot of time. Even more than now since we have powerful catchups and M+.

I think the problem lies in what you think is "fun".

Is "fun" for you beating the last boss of the hardest difficulty and the other 99% of the content is "crap" in your eyes?
    Is not about the (timegated) journey but only about the moment you step in the hardest raid instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfaheart View Post
    Torghast has been well received so far & the Alpha discussion thread seems positive. You seem like you just want everyone to hate WoW and be as miserable as you are lmao.

OT: I'd definitely wait until Shadowlands or close to it to jump back in. There's a good bit of catch up mechanics implemented but imo it's not going to feel enjoyable for you until everything is back to square one and everybody is progressing together
    Don't judge it from the beta. Million and one things can change, also you have to consider WHO are saying this. Not many "nonames" have alpha access, and content creators tend to hype up stuff like this, and fans are being fans. Remember islands? EVERY CONTENT creator said its a-ma-zing.

You need all those things at this point in the xpac for what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Ok then we can go back to topic.

You said "players will destroy themselves if there are no gates"
    Which i think is a complete bad argument...which can literally be used on anything

I can play random battlegrounds while i chug alcohol until i pass out and die. Should Blizzard implement a timegate to random BGs?
    I can do pet battles on my PC for a week straight until i start having illusions and hallucinations from lack of sleep. Timegate pet battles?
    I can use a pencil to commit a crime IRL. Should we ban pencils?

I think is funny to believe every single timegate blizzard implemetns is for the greater good of the game.
    opinions, opinions.
    This is my opinion.
    How is this the same as AP farm for example? Wow is a competing environment, and AP is a matter of competing. And, it has trickle down effect, which players don1t like to admit. Drinking yourself to death or playing bgs all day everyday doesn't affect others. It's a wrong analogy.

Just look at how "juuust a little bit more effort" dragged the whole playerbase with itself since legion, all within 3-4 years and 2 expansions. And we are heading into yet another that is "juuust a little bit more" again.
    Last edited by Lei; 2020-07-15 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    How is this the same as AP farm for example? Wow is a competing environment, and AP is a matter of competing. And, it has trickle down effect, which players don1t like to admit. Drinking yourself to death or playing bgs all day everyday doesn't affect others. It's a wrong analogy.
    But the problem is that i feel like SOME of the timegates are not for the greater good of the game enviroment.
    I feel like Blizzard does a bit of both keeping your sub and greater good...at the same time...a lot of times

The "multiplayer implications" you mentioned are for the greater good

The problem is that i feel in some cases...blizzard bamboozles us Entirely just an opinion

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    You will not like how time-gated Torghast legendary stuffs and Covenant progress is. After all, the devs who made Battle for Azeroth are the ones working on Shadowlands.

Stay away from World of Warcraft.
    hey guess what, if you dont like time gated legendaries, you wouldnt like...
    world of warcraft vanilla
    world of warcraft tbc
    world of warcraft wotlk
    world of warcraft cataclysm
    world of warcraft mop
    world of warcraft wod
    and world of warcraft legion.

cause there has been timegating since day 1.
    dailies and weeklies, reps and items
    badges and tokens
    raid and dungeon lockouts
    and well the obvious legerndary quests which require atleast X weeks
    or legendary drops that require weekly lockouts you must hope it drops in.

timegates are MMO's, dont like that? leave.

How would you rather legendaries be?
    Something you just farm 24/7 until you get it?

Cause its either that, or a weekly chance/progress bar.

are you really saying you rather log on in 6 months and feel forced to play all day every day to get your legendary?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    How would you rather legendaries be?
    Something you just farm 24/7 until you get it?
    Yes
    Did anyone die when i farmed the PvP Battleground Essence rank 4 in 1 week? Nope

are you really saying you rather log on in 6 months and feel forced to play all day every day to get your legendary?
    Why 6 months?
    Ah right, it cant be faster because my sub would run out because ""i would have nothing better to do"
    Because i forgot WoW is not fun to play.
    Because WoW is a progression bar waiting to be filled...and just that...

Sorry for the intense use of sarcasm....

Yes
    Did anyone die when i farmed the PvP Battleground Essence rank 4 in 1 week? Nope
    Remember when gear was just gear that gave your power and the best ones came from raiding that had a weekly lockout? Also daily quests had a daily lockout, or some of them were farmable in one sitting (icc rep for example)? Oh fun times when all this was not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    I am itching to play some WoW (still havent purchased BfA, the first expansion I didn't play. Been playing for 12 years, steady).

Everytime I think about buying BfA and playing WoW I start thinking about all of time-gated grinds. The worst part is, by the time I finish all of these grinds to even begin to compete it's all going to be erased.
    Sucks, this game is in such an awkward state. In previous expansions you could catch up and play some what quickly. Now, I need rank 3 Essences, lvl 15 Cloak (my friend says this is the biggest as Corruptions increase DPS by insane amounts (20%?)), Specific Azerite traits.

Oh well, I can wait another 6 months, sucks though.
    if you have many years invested in your character and just wanna level up, go a bit outside and do/complete some achievements, play old content to farm mounts etc. or just hanging out in wow, comin back is totally fine.

if you wanna step into competitive raiding hc or mythic, or doing some mid/high level m+, forget it. its like you said. you have way too less time to do all that shit and unlock approp essences, farm corruption gear, approp azerite gear and whatever. all that shit is (hopefully) gone for good in SL (anima power, covenants and all that shit i read says hello here).

so, its up to you. i would decide it, based on what you wanna do. actual pve (raids/dungeons) and pvp (it sucks, as your friend said): forget it. hanging out in wow, farm some mounts, do old content, do achivements, etc: no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    if you have many years invested in your character and just wanna level up, go a bit outside and do/complete some achievements, play old content to farm mounts etc. or just hanging out in wow, comin back is totally fine.

if you wanna step into competitive raiding hc or mythic, or doing some mid/high level m+, forget it. its like you said. you have way too less time to do all that shit and unlock approp essences, farm corruption gear, approp azerite gear and whatever. all that shit is (hopefully) gone for good in SL (anima power, covenants and all that shit i read says hello here).

so, its up to you. i would decide it, based on what you wanna do. actual pve (raids/dungeons) and pvp (it sucks, as your friend said): forget it. hanging out in wow, farm some mounts, do old content, do achivements, etc: no problem.

My plan is to farm my Arathi plate set and level some different races for Shadowlands. I am not gonna try to enter completive content and that's fine. I should have enough to keep me busy until Shadowlands launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Remember when gear was just gear that gave your power and the best ones came from raiding that had a weekly lockout? Also daily quests had a daily lockout, or some of them were farmable in one sitting (icc rep for example)? Oh fun times when all this was not a problem...
    I may be the minority...but all MY greatest moments of BfA were on little to no timegated content.

1) Rank 4 Battleground Essence farm (that was epic bro)
    2) Farming Mythic zero specific azerite pieces in dungeons until i got what i wanted (ahhh bro the feels!)
    3) Ranked Arena with My friends on season 1
    4) When i did 10 or 11 PvP weekly caps in a couple days to get Heroic level quality gear

My best moments were almost...if not any timegated

I may be the minority...but all MY greatest moments of BfA were on little to no timegated content.

1) Rank 4 Battleground Essence farm (that was epic bro)
    2) Farming Mythic zero specific azerite pieces in dungeons until i got what i wanted (ahhh bro the feels!)
    3) Ranked Arena with My friends on season 1
    4) When i did 10 or 11 PvP weekly caps in a couple days to get Heroic level quality gear

My best moments were almost...if not any timegated
    Funny how most of the activities you mention is PvP - or probably was used to play pvp with it (m+ farms for gear). And that's a whole pandora's box right there...