Thread: New CPU cooler

New CPU cooler

Hey guys, looking to get a new CPU cooler. Should I get something like the be quiet! Dark rock pro 4 or something like an AIO water cooler? Or any other suggestions? I am currently looking at new pc parts (most likely getting an i7 10700k or i9 10900k) if the boss (wife) haha let's me go nuts
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

If you're looking at 10th gen Intel that means:

- you have to overclock
    - which means it has to be an AIO, at least 240mm.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, that depends.
    Are you looking for the best cooling per dollar? Then DRP4.
    Are you looking for what looks best? We can't help you.
    Do you move it around a lot? Then an AiO might make sense

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    If you're looking at 10th gen Intel that means:

- you have to overclock
    - which means it has to be an AIO, at least 240mm.
    The DRP4 is as good as a 280mm AiO though, and is cheaper.

I won't be moving it around unless I move or something. And I'm looking for the best cooling option for overclocking outside of a custom water loop. Was thinking maybe:
    Be quiet dark rock pro 4
    NZXT kraken x63
    Corsair's 280mm AIO
    I know noctua makes nice coolers but I find them so ugly in the grey and brown colors
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus Z170-A RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 650W M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Monitor: BenQ GW2765 27" Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Keyboard: Corsair K63 Headset: Sennheiser Game One

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I won't be moving it around unless I move or something. And I'm looking for the best cooling option for overclocking outside of a custom water loop. Was thinking maybe:
    Be quiet dark rock pro 4
    NZXT kraken x63
    Corsair's 280mm AIO
    I know noctua makes nice coolers but I find them so ugly in the grey and brown colors
    Noctua also makes black versions of their products nowadays, under the "Chromax" tag

And if you just want the best cooling.. EVGA CLC 360. It's loud as fuck though.
    If you want something that's not super loud, Arctic liquid freezer II 280mm / DRP4 / NH-D15, with the 280mm winning slightly

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Noctua also makes black versions of their products nowadays, under the "Chromax" tag

And if you just want the best cooling.. EVGA CLC 360. It's loud as fuck though.
    If you want something that's not super loud, Arctic liquid freezer II 280mm / DRP4 / NH-D15, with the 280mm winning slightly
    The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 is the best AIO on the market right now and it is cheaper then the EVGA.

Arctic liquid freezer II cooler review/benchmark
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 is the best AIO on the market right now and it is cheaper then the EVGA.

Arctic liquid freezer II cooler review/benchmark
    Oh, I'm sorry, I must've missed this:

Oh wait, that shows exactly what I said. It performs better, but is loud as fuck. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II performs better in noise normalized testing, which is again, exactly what I said.

AIO is fancy, but also has more moving parts (and of course water) to cause some problems in the future. I would just grab some good air cooler and be done with it. Noctua is obvious answer but I understand not everyone is fan of their color scheme.

This is good video for some more info.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I'm sorry, I must've missed this:

Oh wait, that shows exactly what I said. It performs better, but is loud as fuck. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II performs better in noise normalized testing, which is again, exactly what I said.
    Put some 2400RPM fans on the Arctic cooler and it will cool better then the EVGA and still be cheaper
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2020-07-06 at 11:31 AM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

The DRP4 is as good as a 280mm AiO though, and is cheaper.
    It's not. Even if steady-state temperatures are the same any water cooler has a huge advantage in heat-up time. Steady-state temperature are not the same though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B