Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Please let this happen. This is one thing in this administration I could get behind.
    What's taking so long to ban it? India banned over 150+ Chinese apps already.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoK Online View Post
    Big companies like Micro$oft and Cisco are wanting to buy it so they monied interests are keeping it here to see if they can,

Quote Originally Posted by RoK Online View Post
    India is doing that to push their own crappy version of all those apps ironically.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    India is doing that to push their own crappy version of all those apps ironically.
    Which is exactly what China did initially. All these Chinese apps and services got started because they banned western apps and services.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Big companies like Micro$oft and Cisco are wanting to buy it so they monied interests are keeping it here to see if they can,
    There's nothing wrong with the concept, it's who owns. The platform itself is valuable even if a company like Microsoft immediately guts it after acquisition.

Also the current administration is incapable of actually governing. There are reasons to be worry of the app but it's beyond the intentions or the ability of the current government to do anything about it.

What's up with that spam being casually left a few posts up?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Which is exactly what China did initially. All these Chinese apps and services got started because they banned western apps and services.
    yup hence the ironic part, India's ban though are simply a product of their increased nationalism and conflicts with China over border issues than anything else.

I was sitting here thinking about this, not sure if anyone else put it together but..

Anyone remember a little virus application called Kaspersky? yeah:
    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security banned Kaspersky products from all government departments on 13 September 2017, alleging that Kaspersky Lab had worked on secret projects with Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB).

So I don't understand how TikTok is any different? I can still freely installed Kaspersky right now, Kaspersky still has download servers in the US...this is 100% related to his dumb racist tulsa klan meeting he had months ago that was turned into a joke via tiktok or maybe it's because the Chinese own it and Russians own Kaspersky as well as trump so...ban the app from government departments, it's the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post

...this is 100% related to his dumb racist tulsa klan meeting he had months ago that was turned into a joke via tiktok or maybe it's because the Chinese own it and Russians own Kaspersky as well as trump so....
    Honest question but is it hard living in something other than reality with nonsense talk like this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    So I don't understand how TikTok is any different? I can still freely installed Kaspersky right now, Kaspersky still has download servers in the US...this is 100% related to his dumb racist tulsa klan meeting he had months ago that was turned into a joke via tiktok...
    This is exactly what i suspect is the real reason behind the push to ban TikTok.

It's because Trump can't stand getting trolled or put down and his cabinet does everything to go after the ones that publicly embarrass him.

And american companies attempting to buy TikTok in order to keep it fuinctioning inside the US just seems like an attempt at strong-arming a business.

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh. They can "ban" it from being used in government facilities, etc, but that's really the limit of their power. That said, TikTok is garbage.

Minor inconvenience for TikTok users, but there'll be another app to take over.

Non-issue for the users really.

What happened to Vine anyway? It was literally the same as TikTok...

regardless of whether it's spyware or not I want to see it banned simply because of all the dangerous challenges that it spawns, challenges that have caused people to die, the most recent one being overdosing on antihistamines which cause at least one person to die. Dangerous challenges like that should be shut down immediately and removed from any platform not just tiktok but clearly they don't care the harm that causes to people because they let that shit continue on unabated

i suppose its one of those things where the morons ruin it for every one else by doing dumb dangerous shit
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN26A0ZU

And to no ones surprise. This whole fiasco turns out to be nothing more then the Americans, trying to get rid of competition.

If it was ever about protecting Digital privacy. They would be comming down on Amazon, Google and Facebook also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post

And to no ones surprise. This whole fiasco turns out to be nothing more then the Americans, trying to get rid of competition.

If it was ever about protecting Digital privacy. They would be comming down on Amazon, Google and Facebook also.
    Those companies are pressured though, ending with them having to regulate or grease palms. For the record, bipartisan pressure against TikTok has been going on for awhile. It's just that Trump's recently accelation of the timeline is transparent. Also everyone knows the Feds don't move as fast as he claimed the ban would be. Nor were the plans in place effective. The two major app stores would have defied it, 3rd party stores still would have distributed it. The app wasn't being shut down, just made harder to obtain.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post

Even if it was does it matter???

Most American apps dont have access to the Chinese market, seems like fair play to me at least

Whatever anyways. I was more excited to see the ban on WeChat, a shame that fell through. Hopefully either Biden or Trump continue to pursue that

Edit: As a side note, Trump really pussied out here only a partial sale??? WEAK
    Last edited by NED funded; 2020-09-20 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Edit: As a side note, Trump really pussied out here only a partial sale??? WEAK
    Speaking of a weak ones, the real loser is China sucking up a blatant extortion

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Speaking of a weak ones, the real loser is China sucking up a blatant extortion
    There is a lot of American money to be still had, of course they will suck it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    regardless of whether it's spyware or not I want to see it banned simply because of all the dangerous challenges that it spawns, challenges that have caused people to die, the most recent one being overdosing on antihistamines which cause at least one person to die.
    Trump's caused 200k+ deaths, I'd like to see him banned.

are they going to change the app so its less of a data-kraken, or is the data just going to a different government now?

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    are they going to change the app so its less of a data-kraken, or is the data just going to a different government now?
    Going to a different one. Like mentioned before, if it was ever about data. Tik Tok is at the bottom of the list lmao. Google fucking knows how often you take a piss.