Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadowlands Beta - Maldraxxus Quest Chain Preview

Shadowlands Beta - Maldraxxus Quest Chain Preview
    Afterlives: Maldraxxus recently shed some light on the story that will be playing out during the experience in Maldraxxus. Today we are taking a look at the Maldraxxus quest chain on the Shadowlands Beta.

Chapter 1 - Champion of Pain

• You begin the experience by talking to Grandmaster Vole at the Theater of Pain. He scoffs that you seem to have no house to fight for, but the anima drought has left them without many gladiators to fight in the arena at the moment and so he tells you to defeat 40 contenders.
    • After killing enough enemies in the Theater of Pain, Grandmaster Vole is shocked to find you alive, but remarks that most of the fodder you plowed through were amateurs. He then wants you to slay 10 elite contenders who belong to one of the five...errr three houses of Maldraxxus. Apparently two of them no longer exist.
    • Completing this task earns the favor of the Grandmaster, who says you now show potential. You have now caught the eyes of former champions Rin'mar and Gutrend who wish to challenge you. You are given the Maldraxxus Covenant ability after defeating them to use while in the zone.
    • The Grandmaster then announces the final event of the tournament, pitting you against the other victor in the current tournament, High Champion Meskal.
    • After her defeat, the leaders of the houses appear. Margrave Gharmal wonders which banner you fight for, but Margrave Sin'dane points out that you are a mortal. The two Margraves recognize you as the one that thwarted their houses' attack on Bastion. Margrave Krexus says they have betrayed everything the Primus stood for, to which the others remind him that the Primus is long gone while also taunting his house, the House of the Chosen.
    • Margrave Krexus reminds them that they are meant to defend the Shadowlands, not conquer it. He threatens to attack them if they don't recall their forces from Bastion, but the two refuse and a battle ensues.
    • Baroness Draka flies down on her mount and manages to get you out of there. She is part of the House of the Chosen. As you flee, a drake shoots you of the sky.
    • You land in the Iron Trench and must fight your way through unbound deathwalkers while arming displaced scavengers and collecting faded epitaphs with Draka. She then has you destroy an elite deathwalker named Malifis by using a horn to rally the scavengers to help you.
      After this, Draka tells you to enter the necropolis just to the south which is the home to Margrave Krexus and the House of the Chosen to whom Draka belongs.

Last edited by Stoy; 2020-09-06 at 11:42 PM.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    40% work in progress. U sure its gonna be ready by November Blizz? o.0

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    No, they obviously won’t be able to finish these cinematics in time for release... /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The work in progress X usually is never gone before release on betas. Most of these are actually complete, but they still have the X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cinematics are the last to go in, usually we don't even really see them until release if i remember correctly.

I skimmed the whole thing and didn't see any "major spoilers." I must not care for a lot of these characters, especially Draka.

This lore is terribly uninteresting. I haven't been this apathetic for an expansion launch since Cata

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems like a lot of busywork for a quest line that says "The Primus is missing, fix his sword to find out... the Primus is missing. Tell everyone else." and "All but 3 Houses remain but 2 are now dicks" (even though the House of Eyes was apparently spying on every other house before it got blown).

7+ Year Old Account
    right, the janitor, and shadowlands in danger, right, but do we get that cool as fuck weapon as transmog?

Does Draka asks about her son at all during the questline?

Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    Does Draka asks about her son at all during the questline?
    No, she doesn't. Most boring questline I ever done on wow. And the zone is ugly and terrible to navigate.

of course its going to be ready...just like BFA was ready...in fact the more I beta test the more like a reskinned BFA this feels...

Cut Scenes typically just always have that WiP X disclaimer. You can actually view other cutscenes that already exist that aren't new, and they'll have it too, like making a new character, the intro cutscene has it. I saw it just earlier making a new Void Elf.

Vashj as a semi skeleton got to be one of the dumbest looks I've seen, at least her tail bit. The artist apparently didn't have a firm grasp on anatomy, unless he thinks naga are literally skin and bones. That are some elephant size bones in her tail .

Undead naga? Skeleton naga? Cool bro!

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleem View Post
    Cut Scenes typically just always have that WiP X disclaimer. You can actually view other cutscenes that already exist that aren't new, and they'll have it too, like making a new character, the intro cutscene has it. I saw it just earlier making a new Void Elf.
    This is true. I was doing the Zandalar intro questline on a new character and there was a red X over the cutscene with Rastakhan
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Selennah View Post
    No, she doesn't. Most boring questline I ever done on wow. And the zone is ugly and terrible to navigate.
    Welcome to the whole leveling experience of Shadowlands. To me, at least, it was the most boring lore in a while. Every zone feels the same, no interesting dialog, no compelling story... it felt like i was doing the same quests for the fourth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffbringer View Post
    Welcome to the whole leveling experience of Shadowlands. To me, at least, it was the most boring lore in a while. Every zone feels the same, no interesting dialog, no compelling story... it felt like i was doing the same quests for the fourth time.
    The past few xpacs have been quite uninteresting to level through tbh. WOTLK was by far the best leveling experience I've had (yes, better than TBC). Northrend was massive and diverse (snowy mountains, frigid undead wastelands, jungles, fjords, etc). The lore wasn't shoved in your face with linear paths, over-saturated dialogue, and boring characters (legion, and bfa it feels like I'm being led through zones by the main "npc" for that zone and its aggravating and not very immersive). There was plenty of lore in WOTLK, but it was actually varying and interesting, without feeling forced or disjointed. Northrend also felt open and ambient, with a great mix of quest chains. Then you have to appreciate some of the best leveling music in WoW to date (howling fjord, grizzly hills, storm peaks, sholazar basin, and borean tundra all had great leveling music). The music from recent xpacs feels like it's yelling at me with how intrusive it sounds. I have to carry that juke box on me if I wan't to even play with music while leveling in current zones lol. But yeh, haven't really liked the leveling experience model they've been implementing since legion. It isn't interesting, immersive, compelling, or fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxxramas91 View Post
    The past few xpacs have been quite uninteresting to level through tbh. WOTLK was by far the best leveling experience I've had (yes, better than TBC). Northrend was massive and diverse (snowy mountains, frigid undead wastelands, jungles, fjords, etc). The lore wasn't shoved in your face with linear paths, over-saturated dialogue, and boring characters (legion, and bfa it feels like I'm being led through zones by the main "npc" for that zone and its aggravating and not very immersive). There was plenty of lore in WOTLK, but it was actually varying and interesting, without feeling forced or disjointed. Northrend also felt open and ambient, with a great mix of quest chains. Then you have to appreciate some of the best leveling music in WoW to date (howling fjord, grizzly hills, storm peaks, sholazar basin, and borean tundra all had great leveling music). The music from recent xpacs feels like it's yelling at me with how intrusive it sounds. I have to carry that juke box on me if I wan't to even play with music while leveling in current zones lol. But yeh, haven't really liked the leveling experience model they've been implementing since legion. It isn't interesting, immersive, compelling, or fun.
    It sure is brave of you to share your opinion that WotLK was a good expansion.

Personally, I found leveling in WotLK boring as fuck. The only quest I remember is the one where you have to lift animal's tails for... uh... science?

Quote Originally Posted by Naxxramas91 View Post
    I agree with you. I liked WotLK leveling, even though it feels outdated nowadays, but the ambience and music was top notch. And The Lich King interactions were awesome.

To me, the best leveling so far comes from Cataclysm (i loved Vashj'ir, go figure) and Warlords of Draenor. Say what you will about WoD, but the PvE content was great (i loved the raids). Leveling was fun, and the music!!! Too bad you were stuck in Garrison and the world felt dead.

Legion had a not so good leveling and lore, but at least you had fun with artifacts and class hall. BfA is just bad. Good thing they're allowing you to level anywhere you want after the level squish, i still love leveling in classic zones.