Poll: Should Druids get Sea Lion form? Should Aquatic Form be usable on land?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Petition for Druid Lion Seal form AND... ON LAND!

Disclaimer: Yes, I am aware this isn't the official blizzard forums and that Blizzard most likely will not be seeing this.

Right, so there have been Lion Seals in game since WoTLK (https://wow.gamepedia.com/Lion_seal) which have been a subspecies of seals that actually have a walking animation on land. Hell, there's even a pet Lion Seal (https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sea_Calf) that has the animation too.

One thing I've always wished for as a druid was to be able to use my aquatic form while on land, purely for comedic reasons. Nothing cracks me up more than seeing walruses/sea lions/seals/other blubber butts plopping around while on land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6mGixhCcYY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtmse1xh_Q

I don't care if the movement speed is similar to how the original sea turtle mount is (super slow on land, fast in water) I just want to be able to plop around on land. I'd love to see a glyph to be able to change our aquatic form to more creatures like the bulky Lion Seal, and for it to actually stay in the form when out of the water. Is this too much to ask?

(poll was made using the brrr meme in mind)
    Last edited by Mrbleedinggums; 2020-07-07 at 08:53 PM.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Rather just get a more normal looking sea lion than that dinosaur/walrus/seal derivative. Still to this day never understood the original aquatic form, it's like they were going seal and spiced it up with saber teeth with a canine head. Not to mention the neck muscles the things a monster

I see your lust to plop around land as that burly thing, prob confuse the hell out of someone before engaging in pvp which would look hilarious.

Why? Aquatic Animals are not that graceful on land, and usually travel much slower due to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Rather just get a more normal looking sea lion than that dinosaur/walrus/seal derivative. Still to this day never understood the original aquatic form, it's like they were going seal and spiced it up with saber teeth with a canine head. Not to mention the neck muscles the things a monster

I see your lust to plop around land as that burly thing, prob confuse the hell out of someone before engaging in pvp which would look hilarious.
    hahaha yes! Even just seeing a parade of druids in seal form plopping around a major city would be hilarious, but doing that in PvP would be even better. Also agreed on the original seal form, I never really liked it much. The Orca form isn't that much better either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Why? Aquatic Animals are not that graceful on land, and usually travel much slower due to it.
    Oh I know, I wouldn't mind and I even posted that. I would actually expect it to move slower on land as a result. It's just as a comedic/cosmetic option rather than an actual utility option. I figure since they're actually bringing back flavor spells in Shadowlands, now would be a perfect time to add spells like this.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

“Purely for comedic reasons”, my dude.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

The problem with this is that it creates an issue with the functionality of travel form, which switches automatically based on where you are (sea, air, land). That means this would be more than a cosmetic glyph, and would have to be something like the Tree Form - which is unlikely to happen given technical limitations, as forms are mechanically stances and there's a limited number of them. Currently there's 5 stances, and druid fills all of them (1: bear 2: cat 3: travel 4: moonkin 5: tree) and adding a 6th would probably be a lot of extra work for Blizzard (or not, idk how easy it is to extend the stance counter). It would also make it cumbersome to macro.

A nice idea, but just way too many factors working against it.

A purely cosmetic glpyh for aquatic travel form that gives it the appearance of the (maned) seal model should be trivially easy, though.

It is rather annoying when you are trying to swim on the surface so you press space, and you jump out of the water, switch to stag, land back in the water, back to aquatic, rinse and repeat. Can even bug out and leave you unable to shift for a while. I'd totally be on board with seal and dolphin forms being able to jump out of the water and seal at least being able to walk a bit. I'm a druid. I should be able to decide what form I want. Walking seal, swimming stag, my decision.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The problem with this is that it creates an issue with the functionality of travel form, which switches automatically based on where you are (sea, air, land). That means this would be more than a cosmetic glyph, and would have to be something like the Tree Form - which is unlikely to happen given technical limitations, as forms are mechanically stances and there's a limited number of them. Currently there's 5 stances, and druid fills all of them (1: bear 2: cat 3: travel 4: moonkin 5: tree) and adding a 6th would probably be a lot of extra work for Blizzard (or not, idk how easy it is to extend the stance counter). It would also make it cumbersome to macro.

A purely cosmetic glpyh for aquatic travel form that gives it the appearance of the (maned) seal model should be trivially easy, though.
    Good counterpoint, I was thinking of how it would affect the current travel form. I believe that there was actually a glyph that would allow you to do cheetah form independent of travel form which gave you an extra spell, no? Same thing with learning Tree Form actually adding an extra stance on your UI. If for some reason there would be a limitation to putting that stance on the UI, could they possibly do a spell in the general tab that would give a buff that permanently keeps you in aquatic form regardless if you're on land or sea? Think of it how they would do a mount spell ID.

It's not impossible to solve, but the question is rarely "can it be done" but more "can it be done easily enough" - because nobody is going to have 20 people work 2 months just to get land-worthy seal form working. Adding extra space on the stance UI is probably already enough of an argument to not do it.

Go a step further - allow them to use feral and guardian abilities, and give feral and guardian cat and bear forms increases to swim speed.

Eh, whatever floats your boat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, whatever floats your boat.
    Whatever flubbers your blubber?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Go a step further - allow them to use feral and guardian abilities, and give feral and guardian cat and bear forms increases to swim speed.
    Well... at least there's the mirror toy to be able to do those abilities in that form!

- - - Updated - - -

It's not impossible to solve, but the question is rarely "can it be done" but more "can it be done easily enough" - because nobody is going to have 20 people work 2 months just to get land-worthy seal form working. Adding extra space on the stance UI is probably already enough of an argument to not do it.
    Totally fair point, I wouldn't expect them to do it if it took away a substantial amount of time, but I don't want to presume to know how their work delegation works or how time/work is allocated for various features of the game.

I don't think this is true, because you can learn Stag form which gives the exact functionality the OP is asking for. I think a similar aquatic form that does not shift you out of the form should be easy to add.

I'd rather they fix that bug where you sometimes lose travel form when switching between water and land first, but sure, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    Whatever flubbers your blubber?
    aye, that too..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd rather they fix that bug where you sometimes lose travel form when switching between water and land first, but sure, why not.
    omg yes! I hate when that happens haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post
    I don't think this is true, because you can learn Stag form which gives the exact functionality the OP is asking for. I think a similar aquatic form that does not shift you out of the form should be easy to add.
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking of when I was brainstorming about Lion Seal form.

3+ Year Old Account
    Is this a reference to Zen'Kiki? A Restoration Druid who debuted in Cataclysm who had trouble doing things like shapeshifting, and this was still a problem for him in Legion where at the end of the Druid main questline, while all others turned into Moonkin, Cat, Bear, or Flight form, he turned into a Lion Seal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    Is this a reference to Zen'Kiki? A Restoration Druid who debuted in Cataclysm who had trouble doing things like shapeshifting, and this was still a problem for him in Legion where at the end of the Druid main questline, while all others turned into Moonkin, Cat, Bear, or Flight form, he turned into a Lion Seal.
    LOL! Omg yes I remember him, I loved that NPC when I first saw him. I don't think I caught that he turned into a lion seal, now I'll have to find a video to catch it. Thank you!

Wow, I never noticed that before! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEvt-XWIX4
    Last edited by Mrbleedinggums; 2020-07-08 at 07:55 PM.