1. #1

    soloable major mask style quests

    MAJORA'S************ stupid auto correct

    hear me out... imagine if they developed the server to have npc's move around and progress through a story like the quest-givers in majoras mask. every weekly reset will also reset the progress of the quest/story you are trying to do, meaning you can only realistically do one or two a week due to time constraints.

    imagine having 20-30 or so important npcs in the game that all have a story. the quests unlock as the week progresses and as you continue to do them. similar to majoras mask, you could have a window of time in the middle of the night to snag the next part of the quest, and you have to finish it before dawn or else its failed and u need to try again... from the start... the next week .

    they could make class specific quests that are really hard and have steep time restraints or gear checks. they could do exactly what majoras mask did for character development. force you to work with in game characters and really get to know their personalities and motivations. if you dont care, you dont have to do them. they are there for the purpose of challenge and the reward is some cosmetic thing.

    i am not saying add this for every measly npc. just the 20 or 30 that the devs want to build on. the storytelling would be interesting, and it would be fun to have that added element of surprise and suspense. i fondly remember the 3 day cycle in majoras mask, and i think a 7 day cycle with some cool npcs would be very easy to manage.

    for instance, lets say you play a mage. on tuesday, at noon server time, khadgar is in stormwind for 15 minutes. he wants you to meet him at midnight in dalaran, secretly. you wait 12 hours, meet khadgar and discover that some secret shit is happening and you go on an awesome adventure collecting things, exploring places, and killing stuff. they could have long gathering quests, puzzles, kill quests, anything at all that suits the story they are trying to tell. on monday, you reach the final quest that is only active for the 15 minutes before the servers go down. you to die on the boss or fail the puzzle. as lame as it is, it makes for a great opportunity to flesh out a story because that entire week you have spent totally invested.

    the reward is a mount, or a transmog item, azure dragon blue fireballs. your character gets a flavor ability that leaves blue shit whenever u walk when toggled.
    and that is one or two of maybe 100 rewards. give each outcome, positive or negative, a reward of sorts. save stormwind and get a mount. let stormwind die and be "burdened" with a twilight/infinite dragonflight banner u can wear on your back that week.

    it would work /shrug
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2020-07-08 at 11:21 PM.

  2. #2
    I always loved the mechanic of timing in Majora's Mask. I loved how certain quest chains could only begin (or continue) at a certain time and I loved how you could go back and re-do those quest chains with minor differences on different days at different times to get much different results. The Kafei/Anju quest is an example.


    Something WoW doesn't currently have. Would be very interesting indeed.

  3. #3
    exactly. it opens a big book, and they could even make a ui element from chromie that shows how u help them keep the timeline pure. maybe add some infinite dragonflight shit that corrupts the timeline if u fail a certain quest, and forces you to live with the guilt . they could create a debuff that makes u /emote some unique shit constantly all week until reset; or if you complete a hard part of the chain on a friday, and get a buff that makes your armor glow and people could click on you for the same glow. you would be able to do it each week if u really wanted to, but fun stuff is what the game needs.

    it isnt exactly difficult to program at all. they make toys that do much more

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by KingConquer View Post
    I always loved the mechanic of timing in Majora's Mask. I loved how certain quest chains could only begin (or continue) at a certain time and I loved how you could go back and re-do those quest chains with minor differences on different days at different times to get much different results. The Kafei/Anju quest is an example.


    Something WoW doesn't currently have. Would be very interesting indeed.
    love it. thats what i was thinking. in zelda, the 3 "day" long quest provided so many rewards that it was basically a mini dungeon in itself. no reason blizzard couldnt make it happen, in real time, on a larger scale with thousands upon thousands of players. pack it with easter eggs and overlapping stories... you could have assassins creed level detail without much effort. they hire authors to do more. creating 25 unique questlines and meshing them into one overarching story that could piece together current and new lore seems logical

    - - - Updated - - -

    you could even add a weekly, easy to get buff, that couples with raid days. similar to classic how people use darkmoon faire to parse, you could use "turalyon week" to help your guild with with a special buff that helps u fish out the boss in a puddle of void using the light, or any other hard you fight encounter.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2020-07-08 at 11:25 PM.

  4. #4
    I have a job though...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I have a job though...
    Pretty much. It worked amazing in Majora's mask because it was a single player game with mechanics to manipulate the flow of time.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,635
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. "Amazing idea, but.. I work a 9-to-5 job".

    You COULD, however, change the concept slightly to be a "sequential event" that is still player-initiated for each part. And then have that on the weekly reset.
    Like uh.
    To give an example...

    If you don't deliver NPC-A's letter on monday, then NPC-B wont leave their house on tuesday.
    Meaning you would still have the entire monday to set in motion the sequence of events.
    I did not hit that snowmound, it's not true! It's bullshit, I did not hit it. I did NAHT.
    Oh hai Yeti

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. "Amazing idea, but.. I work a 9-to-5 job".

    You COULD, however, change the concept slightly to be a "sequential event" that is still player-initiated for each part. And then have that on the weekly reset.
    Like uh.
    To give an example...

    If you don't deliver NPC-A's letter on monday, then NPC-B wont leave their house on tuesday.
    Meaning you would still have the entire monday to set in motion the sequence of events.
    yea. it could work like that as well. maybe only some questlines are hardcore, where others are more lenient.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    yea. it could work like that as well. maybe only some questlines are hardcore, where others are more lenient.
    The only problem I would see with it is that in some way, shape or form, the ingame world would be acknowledging that the weekly reset is a thing. :P
    It's never done that before beyond a gameplay mechanic.
    We as players would easily handwave it, but I wouldnt be surprised if thats one of those "hard no" rules Blizzard has set for themselves.
    I did not hit that snowmound, it's not true! It's bullshit, I did not hit it. I did NAHT.
    Oh hai Yeti

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    The only problem I would see with it is that in some way, shape or form, the ingame world would be acknowledging that the weekly reset is a thing. :P
    It's never done that before beyond a gameplay mechanic.
    We as players would easily handwave it, but I wouldnt be surprised if thats one of those "hard no" rules Blizzard has set for themselves.
    why would the in game npcs know? its the same clockwork every week. its almost already like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •