Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Oklahoma people are now Indians, and it's hilarious

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that much of eastern Oklahoma falls within an Indian reservation, a decision that could reshape the criminal-justice system by preventing state authorities from prosecuting offenses there that involve Native Americans.

The 5-to-4 decision, potentially one of the most consequential legal victories for Native Americans in decades, could have far-reaching implications for the people who live across what is now deemed “Indian Country” by the high court. The lands include much of Tulsa, Oklahoma’s second-biggest city.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/u...ek-nation.html

Sure, why not. Besides riots, armed people marching in the streets, tearing down statues, now judges are giving large masses of American lands back to Native Americans. America won't see another year as one country.

Are the Muscogee tribe now going to evict the Americans? Perhaps make an American Reservation?
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-07-09 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    Native Americans.

Indians.

Sorry, what?
    Yes, Native Americans are also called Indians. But you knew that, so what's your point?

Why is it hilarious that Native American land was ruled to be Native American land and under federal, not state, jurisdiction for legal purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why is it hilarious that Native American land was ruled to be Native American land and under federal, not state, jurisdiction for legal purposes?
    Because a lot of American territory is "stolen" from Native Americans. To start giving all back will tear the country into pieces, and it should be considered at Congress level, not decided by 5 people who aren't even elected into their positions of power and have no accountability whatsoever.

To just give the land back to Native Americans is peak wokeness. Even Reparations don't come close to that.

Someone needs to step in and stop this woke madness before it's too late.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-07-09 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Because a lot of American territory is "stolen" from Native Americans. To start giving all back will tear the country into pieces, and it should be considered at Congress level, not decided by 5 people who aren't even elected into their positions of power and have no accountability whatsoever.

To just give the land back to Native Americans is peak wokeness. Even Reparations don't come close to that.

“We can’t address injustice because it threatens the status quo to which I have become accustomed!”

Give Six Grandfathers back to the Sioux, while we’re at it. And reparations are the most capitalist thing I can think of, by your guys’ logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Because a lot of American territory is "stolen" from Native Americans.
    Well, per the SCOTUS, that was always their land based on legal treaties signed.

"Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law," said Gorsuch, who was appointed by President Donald Trump. "Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word," he said.
    To start giving all back will tear the country into pieces, and it should be considered at Congress level, not decided by 5 people who aren't even elected into their positions of power and have no accountability whatsoever.
    It's not "giving it back", it's ruling that the state has no authority on Native American land, only the Native Americans there and the federal government.

Those 5 people who "aren't elected" are nominated justices approved by the elected US Senate. They made no "decision" other than to say that based on legal treaties in existence, this is the law. As Justice Gorsuch pointed out in the quote I included above, Congress can change this. They just haven't.

Thanks for letting us know you literally don't understand anything about this ruling and choose to view it through a pointlessly partisan lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    “We can’t address injustice because it threatens the status quo to which I have become accustomed!”
    "Chaos and anarchy! Destroy the status quo! Destroy the foundations of society! EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF! RAAAAAAAAR!"

"Chaos and anarchy! Destroy the status quo! Destroy the foundations of society! EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF! RAAAAAAAAR!"
    I can’t imagine being so full of fear.

Quite literally the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I can’t imagine being so full of fear.
    Fear? No. Ire? Hell yes.

Noooooo you can't just expect me to abide by treaties I made. We have rule of law in this country!

EDIT 4,000,000 KeKs at Oklahoma's argument being the Feds didn't abide by a treaty before so they shouldn't be bound by it now.

Also, It appears the issue begins and ends with prosecutorial jurisdiction. The sky is hardly falling here.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-07-09 at 08:58 PM.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Noooooo you can't just expect me to abide by treaties I made. We have rule of law in this country!
    Yeah, fuck all those people who live in Tulsa and half of Oklahoma! They can be legally evicted now because the land belongs to someone else, cause hey, we got ourselves some forgotten treaties from hundreds of years ago, that we have to respect, and 5 woke judges ready to bend over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean y'all put a huge emphasis on being tax-free so you can earn wealth to pass on to your kids, right?

So it's only logical that because they were robbed of their ability to do so through government policies like slavery, Jim Crow, manifest destiny, the War on Drugs, et cetera, minorities in this country are entitled to financial compensation for the damages incurred.

Surely the party of law and order wouldn't renege on so clear cut a case of injustice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Fear? No. Ire? Hell yes.
    Ire that what? The SCOTUS ruled that an old treaty still stands as Congress hasn't taken any action on it?

Texas will be its own country too, eventually...

Yeah, fuck all those people who live in Tulsa and half of Oklahoma! They can be legally evicted now because the land belongs to someone else, cause hey, we got ourselves some forgotten treaties from hundreds of years ago, that we have to respect, and 5 woke judges ready to bend over.
    The judgment is available if you want to read it. They don't appear to be returning land, merely clarifying what land is "Indian country" per the MCA and reserved to the Feds for prosecution.

Edit; The Court also makes it clear congress is still free to make legislative comment with respect to the issue.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ire that what? The SCOTUS ruled that an old treaty still stands as Congress hasn't taken any action on it?
    This is just another brick in the wall, and the wall is getting higher and higher.
    Thing is...there is no cement between the bricks, and soon it will all come crashing down.

I see the OP didn't actually read what the story was about, and now wants to shitpost himself out of it.

As for the fear of it being federal land, a huge chunk of the entire western half of the country is federal land.

Literally not what the ruling states. Let me reiterate -

"Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law," said Gorsuch, who was appointed by President Donald Trump. "Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word," he said.
    Here's some more -

"Over time, Congress has diminished that reservation. It has sometimes restricted and other times expanded the Tribe's authority. But Congress has never withdrawn the promised reservation," Gorsuch wrote.
    And -

The case has far-reaching consequences for hundreds of charged and incarcerated people who have been found to have committed crimes on the land. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg expressed this concern during oral arguments, telling McGirt's lawyer, "What makes this case hard is that there have been hundreds, hundreds of prosecutions, some very heinous offenses of the state law. On your view, they would all become undone."
    Because, again, this is dealing with criminal law.

And here's even more -

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/supr...5dc65414a.html

Jonodev Chaudhuri, ambassador of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation and a former chief justice of the tribe's Supreme Court, said the argument about legal havoc in the state was overblown.

“All the sky-is-falling narratives were dubious at best," Chaudhuri said. “This would only apply to a small subset of Native Americans committing crimes within the boundaries.

This case didn’t change ownership of any land. It didn’t impact the prosecutions of non-Indians in any way. All it did was bring clarity to jurisdictional questions regarding the border, and it enhanced the Creek Nation's ability as a sovereign nation to work with other sovereign interests to protect people and to work in common interests."
    You continue to freak out about literally nothing because you're stubbornly refusing to actually read the ruling.

Swing and a miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.