Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Character selection screen animations

All I can say is this, hopefully there will be the option to toggle all animations OFF, because I can barely stand the new interface and ESPECIALLY background change they did a couple expansions ago, imagine assigning a faction related one instead of racial, removing all the greatness and diversity they had, and every time I see some change implemented, (that nobody asked for), I put myself in an entirely new player's boots, and now they can't get an early impression on the capital/ starting zone theme and aesthetics they're gonna be playing at, all they see is just this boring contrived mess, it's illogical and impractical to see the starting zone only after finishing customizing and creating your character, it should be put in the forefront.
    I have been waiting TBC longer than I imagined

10+ Year Old Account
    As traumatizing as animations during the first few seconds of character creation/selection may be, this too shall pass. It'll be okay.

Epic run-on sentence, though.

P.S. unless you're the guy that has been in charge of sorting through player suggestions (you aren't) for the last 15 and a half years, you don't have a clue what 'nobody' did or did not ask for.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    All I can say is this, hopefully there will be the option to toggle all animations OFF, because I can barely stand the new interface and ESPECIALLY background change they did a couple expansions ago, imagine assigning a faction related one instead of racial, removing all the greatness and diversity they had, and every time I see some change implemented, (that nobody asked for), I put myself in an entirely new player's boots, and now they can't get an early impression on the capital/ starting zone theme and aesthetics they're gonna be playing at, all they see is just this boring contrived mess, it's illogical and impractical to see the starting zone only after finishing customizing and creating your character, it should be put in the forefront.
    Did you entirely miss the part where the new player experience is the same for each race now? Makes the racial point moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    you don't have a clue what 'nobody' did or did not ask for.
    Not sure if anyone did or not request this, but wasnt animations shown before during the character selection screen and then they removed it a couple of years ago?

I do think seeing the racial backgrounds is more fun than seeing the faction background. I don't see a lot of purpose for the faction background now that BFA is over - I think the point of that was to kind of push the faction conflict of the expansion, and now that we're out of that it doesn't make as much sense to keep that around anymore. It's a lot more relevant to see the racial background you'll be seeing on character select every time you'll be logging into the character going forward. I don't think an option for toggling animations off would be bad or anything - I currently kind of like the animations, but I bet if I was swapping between a lot of classes frequently just trying to see how they idle the constant animations when swapping every time might be pretty annoying. Maybe the animations should only play the first time you select the class, or maybe the animation set of each class on character creation should have a CD before it is able to be triggered again.

It's not that bad. Though I'd like to see them fixing the characters height in the character tab, because DKs are too small and DHs are too big.

Seems okay. The bow and gun animations are kinda horrible though, especially with the fat junk bow that looks more like a balista; never noticed that before.

I do disagree with alot of class armor choices though. Seriously, why show the priest with the uldir set without the gauntlets? Yikes. Many of the classes use the normal version of antorus, the priest one would have worked perfectly as well from there :/.

Edit: Btw, isn't this the character creation screen?
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-07-10 at 09:01 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I do think seeing the racial backgrounds is more fun than seeing the faction background. I don't see a lot of purpose for the faction background now that BFA is over - I think the point of that was to kind of push the faction conflict of the expansion, and now that we're out of that it doesn't make as much sense to keep that around anymore. It's a lot more relevant to see the racial background you'll be seeing on character select every time you'll be logging into the character going forward. I don't think an option for toggling animations off would be bad or anything - I currently kind of like the animations, but I bet if I was swapping between a lot of classes frequently just trying to see how they idle the constant animations when swapping every time might be pretty annoying. Maybe the animations should only play the first time you select the class, or maybe the animation set of each class on character creation should have a CD before it is able to be triggered again.
    Place a button for "animation" above customize, this shouldn't be automatic.
    I detest controversial and subjective changes, they should keep the game neutral to please every taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Seems okay. The bow and gun animations are kinda horrible though, especially with the fat junk bow that looks more like a balista; never noticed that before.

I do disagree with alot of class armor choices though. Seriously, why show the priest with the uldir set without the gauntlets? Yikes. Many of the classes use the normal version of antorus, the priest one would have worked perfectly as well from there :/.

Edit: Btw, isn't this the character creation screen?
    Yes it is, I apologize. Both screens do have the same background though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the absolutely trivial things you could complain about, this is the one you chose? If you get triggered by a few animations on the creation screen, by golly you are going to go insane when you realise that you see them continuously through combat.

We definitely need a toggle for this garbage.

15+ Year Old Account
    This looks like blizzard took a look at all the korean mobile games releasing lately because in almost all, every single character you select does this acrobatic thing jumping into view and swinging their sword around or casting spells depending on what class they are. Black Desert is the easiest example.

The less player characters do without any input from players, the better they are at bringing players into the world through them. Once your characters go off on their own and move without your consent, the player-character link is broken, or at least less strong than it would have been otherwise. It's the reason people like RPGs in the first place, and want them voice acted with as many story and dialogue options as possible. In the absence of game systems which can support such diversity of story or simply character expression, you better stick with silent protagonists or puppets, who do not move any inch further than the player wants them to.

Of all the things to be upset about in Shadowlands, the fucking character creation screen is so far down the list that it's barely worth considering. Things change, deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    These animations only appear when you initially select the class you're about to make. Characters do not do these random attacks when you've actually created your toon and you're at the select screen. Its literally just a brief 'hey this is the kind of stuff a warrior does.'

Those of you having a fit about this probably ought to direct your rage at stuff that is actually worth being upset about.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Some people just pick the dumbest, littlest shit to try to blow up into some big deal. It's kinda pathetic.

The racial backgrounds for the character selection screen still exist. You see them immediately after making your character, so this drivel about new players not being able to see the racial aesthetic of the characters they're making is bullshit. You will see it every single time you click on your character before logging in. Do you know how many times you'll see that generic Stormwind/Orgrimmar themed background? Once, per character you create.

Would it be cool if you could see the racially themed background during character creation? Yeah, it would be. That could be a neat thing, being able to see what your character might look like in front of some different backgrounds with different sort of color schemes. It's a minor thing, but it's one I'd enjoy, if Blizzard did it. Is it an absolute travesty and a slap in the face that the part of the game that you're involved in probably the least doesn't have stuff like that? Fuck no, it's not. Stuff like this is worth a thoughtful suggestion at best, not anger and offense.

Also, I thought I remembered reading when it was first announced that the character creation screen would have different animations when you click on a class, that you actually could turn those off if you wanted. Personally, I don't see why you'd want to. Most of them look neat.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    We definitely need a toggle for this garbage.
    how is this garbage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    This looks like blizzard took a look at all the korean mobile games releasing lately because in almost all, every single character you select does this acrobatic thing jumping into view and swinging their sword around or casting spells depending on what class they are. Black Desert is the easiest example.

The less player characters do without any input from players, the better they are at bringing players into the world through them. Once your characters go off on their own and move without your consent, the player-character link is broken, or at least less strong than it would have been otherwise. It's the reason people like RPGs in the first place, and want them voice acted with as many story and dialogue options as possible. In the absence of game systems which can support such diversity of story or simply character expression, you better stick with silent protagonists or puppets, who do not move any inch further than the player wants them to.
    dude this is charecter creation its supposed to show an example of what the class is like, i love how you go "the very next step it your character automatically plays for you!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Guru View Post
    Not sure if anyone did or not request this, but wasnt animations shown before during the character selection screen and then they removed it a couple of years ago?
    tons of people have requested it, no it was a thing they wanted to add but never did, and so far these have been INSANELY hyped in the community, most even wanting them on the charecter selection screen, this is the first ive seen of people legit complaining about getting to see a bit of the class in charecter creation...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    It's not that bad. Though I'd like to see them fixing the characters height in the character tab, because DKs are too small and DHs are too big.
    what...? they are the same height my dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Looks like just a preview of what the class animation is like when you choose it. Most people would probably appreciate it. I certainly would have back in 2009 when I was trying to figure out what my first Class should be and the character just stood there with that dopey 2004 graphics look staring back at me like "what? I'm a rogue, use your imagination."

5+ Year Old Account
    Warrior,DH,Druid,DK intros superb cool nice done!

But Hunter+Shaman look so awful ... like what the f**k) (mail classes once again ... why bother ????...)

1) Hunter held bow so clunky and arrows look like made out of paper that fly by some invisible hand of god that pushes it from behind.

2) Shaman ... these 3 clone totems that drop from sky ..... "they removed skill that allowed you to summon presets of totems" -> new player gonna think that you actually able to do so, while in fact with GCD changes summoning totems even more underwhelming task.
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2020-07-13 at 11:52 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    how is this garbage?

- - - Updated - - -

dude this is charecter creation its supposed to show an example of what the class is like, i love how you go "the very next step it your character automatically plays for you!"

- - - Updated - - -

tons of people have requested it, no it was a thing they wanted to add but never did, and so far these have been INSANELY hyped in the community, most even wanting them on the charecter selection screen, this is the first ive seen of people legit complaining about getting to see a bit of the class in charecter creation...

- - - Updated - - -

what...? they are the same height my dude...
    Nah, once you've made the character, a DK is much further away from the camera while a DH is much closer compared to the other classes, which all are almost identically close to the screen. Which makes DKs seem small and DHs seem big. IIRC a nelf DH has the same size on your screen as a male tauren once they're in their respective backgrounds.

Not that it ever bothered me, but that's what he/she is referring to.

3+ Year Old Account
    The Priest isn't wearing a Priest set

I'd at least go for the Gilded Seraph set, but to each their own
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Some people just pick the dumbest, littlest shit to try to blow up into some big deal. It's kinda pathetic.
    I agree, but think the needle leans more toward 'extremely pathetic'.