Internet speed being throttled by router?

So my home's current network setup has two routers, one out in the living room that most of the devices use, and then another one in my room so that my computer can have an ethernet connection. Parents upgraded to a higher tier of internet service recently, and told me that we would be getting increased speeds. I did notice that my download speed increased from 100 down to 150 down, however, just recently I tried running a long ethernet cable across the house and plugging into the newer router out in the living room....and it gives me 350 down.

Both of these routers are connected via coax to the same box in the basement, so I'm confused as to why one is capping me at 150mbps while the other is going as high as 350.

This is the router I have in my room. I didn't choose it, it was just the one that the Verizon tech gave us when running the coax line to my room. This is the router out in the living room.

Any insights as to what's going on here?

10+ Year Old Account
    The one in your room should be capable of gigabit speeds according to its web page. Maybe the cabling to it is bad, or you're plugged into the wrong port. Can you swap the cables so your router gets the cable that normally goes to the one in the living room? Just to try

As far as I can tell, both coax cables are the same plain white coax. I'll have to open the box in the basement and see if there's anything unusual there, like different speeds for the coax ports or something. But that'll likely have to wait until Monday when I've got the house to myself to freely mess with the internet devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    The following situation is very unlikely, but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case. It's something that might push you into the solution either way.

It's possible that the router in your room is not actually connecting to the modem via the cable and is instead making a wifi connection to the living room router and this wifi connection is acting as a bottleneck.

What I'd do regardless is to check on the router software of both and, making sure you know the IPs of everything, ensure there are no IP conflicts and (assuming that you are on the same network) that you have your gateway set up properly.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Okay apparently the ethernet internet speeds are even higher than previously tested, as the "350mbps" test was on my other computer. Trying with my main computer...

https://puu.sh/G61nf/6fb2d3eb67.png
    https://puu.sh/G61om/69f1711836.png
    https://puu.sh/G61pd/63330b8cd5.png

Holy fuck.

Definitely gonna investigate further. Going from 800mbps on the new router to 150mbps on the bedroom router, yeah definitely something wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    The following situation is very unlikely, but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case. It's something that might push you into the solution either way.

It's possible that the router in your room is not actually connecting to the modem via the cable and is instead making a wifi connection to the living room router and this wifi connection is acting as a bottleneck.
    This might be, yeah, since the router is an "extender" and all. I'll try going in there and disabling WiFi.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2020-07-11 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    So my home's current network setup has two routers, one out in the living room that most of the devices use, and then another one in my room so that my computer can have an ethernet connection. Parents upgraded to a higher tier of internet service recently, and told me that we would be getting increased speeds. I did notice that my download speed increased from 100 down to 150 down, however, just recently I tried running a long ethernet cable across the house and plugging into the newer router out in the living room....and it gives me 350 down.

Both of these routers are connected via coax to the same box in the basement, so I'm confused as to why one is capping me at 150mbps while the other is going as high as 350.

This is the router I have in my room. I didn't choose it, it was just the one that the Verizon tech gave us when running the coax line to my room. This is the router out in the living room.

Any insights as to what's going on here?

The coax on the box in your room is a One MoCA 1.1/1.0 Coaxial Jack. 1.0 caps at 100 MPS and 1.1 caps at 175 MPS
    https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/w...-0-bonded-2-0/

Using the ethernet is why you are getting higher speeds.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2020-07-11 at 05:23 PM.

So after poking around for a bit, here's what I learned:

-The box in the basement in splitting one coax connection to all the coax ports around the house
    -The box in the basement also appears to have an ethernet port with a cable plugged in, though I'm not sure what it's connected to
    -The new router in the living room has a "WAN" Ethernet port that, if I disconnect it, all other devices (including wifi) lose internet connection
    -The new router's coaxial port is labeled "LAN"
    -The bedroom router, if I try to connect to its default gateway, it brings me to the configuration page for the new living room router, I can't seem to access the bedroom router's configuration
    -If I disconnect the coax from the bedroom router, it no longer has any internet connection, and I can't connect to its default gateway either

However the verizon tech set this up, it seems really fucky. But as far as I can tell, my bedroom router IS acting as an extension of the main router in the living room...why that is throttling 800mbps down to 150mbps, I'm not quite sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    The coax on the box in your room is a One MoCA 1.1/1.0 Coaxial Jack. 1.0 caps at 100 MPS and 1.1 caps at 175 MPS
    https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/w...-0-bonded-2-0/

Using the ethernet is why you are getting higher speeds.
    Ah, I kinda suspected as much. So I assume the solution here is to buy a more up-to-date coax to ethernet adapter?

https://puu.sh/G622S/8df09b3c66.png

Like that?
    Last edited by anon5123; 2020-07-11 at 05:44 PM.

So after poking around for a bit, here's what I learned:

-The box in the basement in splitting one coax connection to all the coax ports around the house
    -The box in the basement also appears to have an ethernet port with a cable plugged in, though I'm not sure what it's connected to
    -The new router in the living room has a "WAN" Ethernet port that, if I disconnect it, all other devices (including wifi) lose internet connection
    -The new router's coaxial port is labeled "LAN"
    -The bedroom router, if I try to connect to its default gateway, it brings me to the configuration page for the new living room router, I can't seem to access the bedroom router's configuration
    -If I disconnect the coax from the bedroom router, it no longer has any internet connection, and I can't connect to its default gateway either

However the verizon tech set this up, it seems really fucky. But as far as I can tell, my bedroom router IS acting as an extension of the main router in the living room...why that is throttling 800mbps down to 150mbps, I'm not quite sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I kinda suspected as much. So I assume the solution here is to buy a more up-to-date coax to ethernet adapter?

https://puu.sh/G622S/8df09b3c66.png

Like that?
    Why can't you just run the ethernet on the same path as the coax is run currently? Or is the coax in the wall already?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why can't you just run the ethernet on the same path as the coax is run currently? Or is the coax in the wall already?
    The coax is run through the basement and then up through a hole in the floor, where it connects to the small router that I have in my bedroom. The hole in the floor is just barely big enough for the coax to fit through, so an rj45 doesn't fit. (I tried, trust me) Running an ethernet across the house would require me to have it going all along the walls and ceiling on the main floor, which my parents objected to.

The coax is run through the basement and then up through a hole in the floor, where it connects to the small router that I have in my bedroom. The hole in the floor is just barely big enough for the coax to fit through, so an rj45 doesn't fit. (I tried, trust me) Running an ethernet across the house would require me to have it going all along the walls and ceiling on the main floor, which my parents objected to.
    So... make the hole bigger. Itll take about 20 seconds.

If you were comfortable you could snip the end of the internet and then crip the RJ45 to the end of the cable. That's what I'd do but not many are comfortable doing it or have a crimper on hand.

Otherwise yes you need to update the equipment

Or, again, 20 seconds and a 1/2" drillbit and youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    So... make the hole bigger. Itll take about 20 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Or, again, 20 seconds and a 1/2" drillbit and youll be fine.
    Already tried that, don't have a drill bit big enough. Tried using the biggest drill bit I could find, and it didn't appear to have any effect.

Already tried that, don't have a drill bit big enough. Tried using the biggest drill bit I could find, and it didn't appear to have any effect.
    Drill bits are about 4$. Go buy one that is large enough.

To fit an RJ-45 head, youll want 1/2" bit.

Or if you've got a Harbor Freight nearby, you can get a whole set from 3/32nds to 1" for about 20$

I just ended up buying a new router since it was $50 on Amazon, and it seems to be working just fine.