Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Forget about the numbers

Just like everyone else I'm trying to simplify my decision making about what covenant to go with. If we throw logs and dps out the door. What would you go with and what class? Visually I think night Fae ability looks fun for shamans, but at the same time primordial wave looks like it would be great for single target.

The abomination limb for DK's just looks super fun to tank with, but Swarming mist looks better for dps specs

Lucky I usually only raid with one class a tier so I only really have to make a hard decision for one toon, but I'd still like to enjoy playing my main out side of raiding as well I hope blizzard get tuning done a good as it can be, but I'm not really holding my breath

I am hands down going Night Fae as my Paladin because I think blessing of seasons is going to be sweet once they rework it, also the Soulshape ability gets some insane enhancements through their Soulbinds. Paladin are in dire need of more mobility and Night Fae give it in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am hands down going Night Fae as my Paladin because I think blessing of seasons is going to be sweet once they rework it, also the Soulshape ability gets some insane enhancements through their Soulbinds. Paladin are in dire need of more mobility and Night Fae give it in spades.
    Do we even know it'll be Blessings of the Seasons? I wanted to go Night Fae Paladin too, but only knew they'd scrapped the ability for now.

I absolutely want to go Kyrian with my mage because I like the style, but I just know I would forever regret not taking the utterly broken necrolords ability for arcane or the broken movement stuff of venthyr.

For my DK, while I'd want to have a bright zone for a change, I think I could settle with venthyr for style, here it's alot easier since the necrolord ability is just a gimmik for the most part (& I hate them in every way) and the venthyr stuff works well with all DK specs. Nightfae might be even better tho class-ability-wise.

It would mostly come down to looks for me if I were to ignore the numbers.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Do we even know it'll be Blessings of the Seasons? I wanted to go Night Fae Paladin too, but only knew they'd scrapped the ability for now.
    They said they like the ability and the effects but want to mechanically change how it works, my guess is we will be able to keep the one we wan't and cycle through them when needed but perhaps they will make it beneficial if you swap more often somehow. Or likely they cloud take the lazy route and just make it a passive that cycles but I hope that is not the case.

Once I've had a play around with it I'll be in a better position to gauge, but so far looking at Venthyr on my Balance Druid for abilities.

I'm still unsure of whether I'll stick with my druid though, depending on how Eclipse feels during testing it might push me to reroll my main for SL.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I'm doing, I'm picking my covenant based on theme. If I sit here and try and min/max, I'm only setting myself up for a bad time. If I just go w/ theme, then I won't care because my mindset isn't fixed around trying to min/max. Balancing and changing numbers isn't hard either, so if X or Y covenant ability is drastically superior than the others, I think blizzard will balance it out so players don't feel forced to pick that specific covenant.

People just need to get out of the idea out of their head that if they choose the wrong covenant, that they won't be able to progress because groups will decline them or they'll be benched from guild raids. That scenario won't occur outside of the few guilds pursuing world first.

I still haven't decided on which character I want to main out of the 12 classes, but I'm leaning towards my warrior, dk or pally. Eitherway, I planned on joining Maldraxxus on my first toon.
    Last edited by crakerjack; 2020-07-14 at 09:47 PM.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Watch the Ion interview with Bellurar (spelling) cause Ion states they have totally scrapped Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    Watch the Ion interview with Bellurar (spelling) cause Ion states they have totally scrapped Seasons
    They said they want to see if they can change the mechanics first before completely scrapping it to be exact.

They said they want to see if they can change the mechanics first before completely scrapping it to be exact.

He didn't say that at all. He said "totally scrapped it". I'll find and timestamp it. I just watched it yesterday. H/o
    Well, that was harder than it seemed since the YouTuber spread the interview out into 6 videos. But, the whole context of the quote was that Ion was making a point that his team is listening to feedback and not afraid to completely scrap something and start from scratch and his next breath was, "take a look at Seasons for example" he even went on to say how awful seasons were designed at it's core. Just don't get your hopes up. Who knows the replacement may be even better.
    Last edited by Sunslayer; 2020-07-14 at 10:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    When viewed as a whole, it’s really hard to say. I like to experience the whole game, or at least be able to, so like others it goes beyond a single ability or a few soulbind traits. The Venthyr weekly party thing looks really boring, so I kind of want to see how the others shape up. I can say that I’ve never been a fan of the sylvanesque motif, so Night Fae holds no interest for me, although I’ll do it on an alt for story I guess. It really looks like I’m headed for the Necrolords, which works because I like the Mage covenant spell.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Necrolord Priest.

Even if the numbers don't support it, I would've gone with the skeleton war folks.

Dunno whatever I find neat when I reach max lvl I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    When viewed as a whole, it’s really hard to say. I like to experience the whole game, or at least be able to, so like others it goes beyond a single ability or a few soulbind traits. The Venthyr weekly party thing looks really boring, so I kind of want to see how the others shape up. I can say that I’ve never been a fan of the sylvanesque motif, so Night Fae holds no interest for me, although I’ll do it on an alt for story I guess. It really looks like I’m headed for the Necrolords, which works because I like the Mage covenant spell.
    Check this, so...I start making my plan for Shadowlands. I'm like I'm gonna roll Pally, since I love Tanking, healing and DPS. I see the Kyrian utility ability which looks awful and it's a 4 min CD. Then, I realize the Kyrian ability was awful for Ret.
    I decide I'm going to play my Enhancement Shaman instead. I do some research and realize that I loathe every Enhance Covenant ability and Enhances Anima powers in Torghast are all aimed at Ele spec. Ok, so not playing Enhance.
    Atm, I'm still looking. Thinking about DK and Necrolords even though that 4 second channel absorb looks like dog doodoo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    Check this, so...I start making my plan for Shadowlands. I'm like I'm gonna roll Pally, since I love Tanking, healing and DPS. I see the Kyrian utility ability which looks awful and it's a 4 min CD. Then, I realize the Kyrian ability was awful for Ret.
    I decide I'm going to play my Enhancement Shaman instead. I do some research and realize that I loathe every Enhance Covenant ability and Enhances Anima powers in Torghast are all aimed at Ele spec. Ok, so not playing Enhance.
    Atm, I'm still looking. Thinking about DK and Necrolords even though that 4 second channel absorb looks like dog doodoo.
    Take a look at the Soulbinds; they’re smaller scale type things but some look really op and I guarantee some people who thought they knew exactly what they wanted are saying “wait a second...”
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

What ever I main (depends on what our raid comp looks like) I will probably go Necrolords, just really love that covenant.

Since they'll wait with tuning until right before the prepatch it's incredibly stupid to look at any numbers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Take a look at the Soulbinds; they’re smaller scale type things but some look really op and I guarantee some people who thought they knew exactly what they wanted are saying “wait a second...”

I went over the soulbinds for Kyrian, Venthyr and Necrolords. So far Venthyr is by far the best with making Door of Shadows instant and adding CC when you use it. Kyrian, looked boring but it's hard tell by reading tooltips. I'll wait and see how it plays in Beta.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Since they'll wait with tuning until right before the prepatch it's incredibly stupid to look at any numbers right now.
    The thread is "forget the numbers". Did you skip reading the OP? Your reply makes no sense.

Necrolords since I still like the undead look. Sadly it looks like I have to vamp boy.

Venthyr and Necrolords mostly here, but thats a choice I would take no matter what. Night Fae also fits me and some of my characters so I will choose that one too. Kyrians would probably be set to a minimum of characters for me since that appeal the least to me.

For abilities I really like the Abomination Limb for my Death Knight for the Necrolords. Just fits so well with the theme and class. Sinful Brand for Demon Hunters looks cool too, going Venthyr there, for Mage I like the Necrolord's Deathborne, but for the overall theme I am choosing Venthyr on that one. But I got two mages so the other will be Necrolord. Gotta get them transmogs. For the Rogue I will be Venthyr, the ability looks decent and a Door of Shadows, well it fits :P