Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Openraid - dead, any alternatives?

Hello all, I've been trying to run some old mythic raids from Legion (NH, ToV, ToS eventually), to get mog, mounts, etc, but the Openraid community on EU-ally seems dead af. Are there any alternatives?

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess some discord servers like the achievment discord for example have a huge community at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Spaze View Post
    i guess some discord servers like the achievment discord for example have a huge community at the moment
    Would you mind helping me find it? I:ve never heard of an achievement discord community? Or is there a place where all these cool things can be found? Thank you in advance brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaut View Post
    Would you mind helping me find it? I:ve never heard of an achievement discord community? Or is there a place where all these cool things can be found? Thank you in advance brother.
    https://discord.gg/VTS4mFQ should be the invite link to join the server
    no problem! there are a few high populated discordservers for such things but the achievment server was the first that come to my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Spaze View Post
    https://discord.gg/VTS4mFQ should be the invite link to join the server
    no problem! there are a few high populated discordservers for such things but the achievment server was the first that come to my mind
    Thank you very much, you are doing a saint's work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much, you are doing a saint's work!
    good luck finding groups!

I haven't seen any good alternatives. Surprisingly there is no WoW Raid Pugging Discord channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Group finder always has raids going.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel your problem, cause:

- Openraid is indeed dead, I play Ally EU too, no way José really, even if you lead yourself.

- Premade finder has no "safety" or "guarantees", meaning people are not dedicated at all, and there is no "punishment" if they just leave. On Openraid, you would have people give you a bad review if you leave or something, meaning some "guarantees" to keep the raid going and not have leavers in wipes etc.

- The Discord server is a MESS, I seriously don't get much of how it works, and it has no like sign-up system, you have to wait for like active groups more or less. Maybe I just miss stuff here, but it's certainly not as smooth as Openraid was.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

It's a shame the sites maintenance went downhill. But since groupfinder was added it became used less and less. My guild run a group for heroic and mythic antorus on alliance using openraid, it's pretty casual. And one of the guys from the guild does a guldan run through using openraid. I'm trying to convince him to do full runs for tmog, I'm not personally fussed over the mount, do want to look go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    - The Discord server is a MESS, I seriously don't get much of how it works, and it has no like sign-up system, you have to wait for like active groups more or less. Maybe I just miss stuff here, but it's certainly not as smooth as Openraid was.
    How the hell is it so confusing? No wonder you're struggling in game ... That Discord server (at least for EU) has a raid announcement channel that in addition to posting a weekly schedule ahead (that has multiple times and dates to choose from, obviously), also announces upcoming raids daily and once the raids are posted. Then it is just your job to apply with to the correct group while making sure you include the 'keyword' given in the announcement to weed out randoms. The main difference from Openraid is that the Discord group seems to work on 'first come, first serve' basis, so theoretically it is even more forgiving than OR. The requirements are truly lax aswell - 910 for normal etc. Literally a dream for all the whiners but it's always easier to qq rather than try and help themselves by doing the minimal legwork of finding such organised communities.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlz View Post
    How the hell is it so confusing? No wonder you're struggling in game ... That Discord server (at least for EU) has a raid announcement channel that in addition to posting a weekly schedule ahead (that has multiple times and dates to choose from, obviously), also announces upcoming raids daily and once the raids are posted. Then it is just your job to apply with to the correct group while making sure you include the 'keyword' given in the announcement to weed out randoms. The main difference from Openraid is that the Discord group seems to work on 'first come, first serve' basis, so theoretically it is even more forgiving than OR. The requirements are truly lax aswell - 910 for normal etc. Literally a dream for all the whiners but it's always easier to qq rather than try and help themselves by doing the minimal legwork of finding such organised communities.

But how do you apply to it? And do you have any way of seeing exactly what a group needs? Openraid was so amazing, not only do you see exactly WHO join the group, but also exactly what classes they have etc.

Also, if I want to lead myself, there is no good way of making a list of members who are in the raid, and to place prio members in a list, reserve members in a list etc.

When I made raids back in the day on Openraid, I planned many weeks ahead, and made sure I found the best of the best signers.

The discord seems kinda hasty and quite frankly too "casual". Like you say "first come, first server" doesn't belong or work for most achievement groups. The best signers > the first.

Hence I think this is a mess. Openraid was Gods gift to the WoW players, and only God know why it died out
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

But how do you apply to it? And do you have any way of seeing exactly what a group needs? Openraid was so amazing, not only do you see exactly WHO join the group, but also exactly what classes they have etc.

Also, if I want to lead myself, there is no good way of making a list of members who are in the raid, and to place prio members in a list, reserve members in a list etc.

When I made raids back in the day on Openraid, I planned many weeks ahead, and made sure I found the best of the best signers.

The discord seems kinda hasty and quite frankly too "casual". Like you say "first come, first server" doesn't belong or work for most achievement groups. The best signers > the first.

Hence I think this is a mess. Openraid was Gods gift to the WoW players, and only God know why it died out
    I just literally explained how you apply for it - you sign up for a group once they post it. You also see how many tanks/heals/DPS they already have when you're signing up, it's not exactly rocket science. They also post livelogs where you can see how far they get. So for instance, their last Alliance raid cleared the whole thing with 3 wipes and out of them 1 seemed to be a ninjapull (a wipe less than a minute into the Argus fight). Openraid was by no means 'hardcore'. It had absolute garbage groups handholding such bad players you wouldn't even find in LFR along with truly hardcore and very successful 'only-accepting-full-mythic-cleared-raider' versions that moved on to the in-game LFG and which get a lot of unwarranted hate due to people not meeting the minimum requirements. I personally had some bad experiences with popular leaders occasionally trying to do content clearly above their capacity and having to have someone else to literally step in and take over. Or at other times people (including leaders) signing up with geared toons only to swap over to their alts. But since they already had gathered a full 'fan-base' who praised them for their personality and did not evaluate them as a raid-leader, noone really dared to leave bad feedback about these poorly organised runs (or the feedback got removed/retaliated). I used Openraid A LOT, and it certainly had its good sides, but it wasn't without (pretty big) faults.

There is a fully dedicated Discord for achievement runs aswell and again, by the looks of it, they pretty much always complete everything 100% (including Glory of Argus etc). For these, they also seem to only have minimum requirements you need to meet but unlike N/HC raids, you apply for a group beforehand either by contacting the guy running it or through some other method (sometimes they post OR groups to keep track of the signups). Sometimes they also post runs on the go and smaller runs (e.g. for dungeons) often do not need previous organisation and are also formed on the spot. I truly doubt it's very hard to get into these runs. People on these Discords are there for a reason. They want to complete these raids/achievements and already by having that willpower and dedication to find these servers, they are better than your average Joes from LFG. Hence why 'first come, first serve' works for them, at least for now (or until they grow too big).
    Last edited by Mlz; 2018-01-05 at 01:37 PM.
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just literally explained how you apply for it - you sign up for a group once they post it. You also see how many tanks/heals/DPS they already have when you're signing up, it's not exactly rocket science. They also post livelogs where you can see how far they get. So for instance, their last Alliance raid cleared the whole thing with 3 wipes and out of them 1 seemed to be a ninjapull (a wipe less than a minute into the Argus fight). Openraid was by no means 'hardcore'. It had absolute garbage groups handholding such bad players you wouldn't even find in LFR along with truly hardcore and very successful 'only-accepting-full-mythic-cleared-raider' versions that moved on to the in-game LFG and which get a lot of unwarranted hate due to people not meeting the minimum requirements. I personally had some bad experiences with popular leaders occasionally trying to do content clearly above their capacity and having to have someone else to literally step in and take over. But since they already had gathered a full 'fan-base' who praised them for their personality and did not evaluate them as a raid-leader, noone really dared to leave bad feedback about these poorly organised runs (or the feedback got removed). I used Openraid A LOT, and it certainly had its good sides, but it wasn't without (pretty big) faults.

There is a fully dedicated Discord for achievement runs aswell and again, by the looks of it, they pretty much always complete everything 100% (including Glory of Argus etc). For these, they also seem to only have minimum requirements you need to meet but unlike N/HC raids, you apply for a group beforehand either by contacting the guy running it or through some other method (sometimes they post OR groups to keep track). Sometimes they also post runs on the go and smaller runs (e.g. for dungeons) often do not need previous organisation and are also formed on the spot. I truly doubt it's very hard to get into these runs. People on these Discords are there for a reason. They want to complete these raids/achievements and already by having that willpower and dedication to find these servers, they are better than your average Joes from LFG. Hence why 'first come, first serve' works for them, at least for now (or until they grow too big).
    Yes, of course those Discord groups are better than the LFG tool. But it's still not nearly as easy to handle as Openraid was. And I like the feedback system on Openraid.

Just because a guy is leading a Glory of Argus Raider, should I mean I WANT to join it if I need it? I want to know more about the raid, the leader, the members etc before I sign for anything! At Openraid, if a leader had a poor rating and bad feedback, you could easily see it and look elsewhere. If the leader had a good score, then I join the group. I miss this for discord.

Same for members. I want to check that no member has a horrible rating, have horrible gear and get boosted or check any other info that might be good to have.

Yes, of course those Discord groups are better than the LFG tool. But it's still not nearly as easy to handle as Openraid was. And I like the feedback system on Openraid.

Just because a guy is leading a Glory of Argus Raider, should I mean I WANT to join it if I need it? I want to know more about the raid, the leader, the members etc before I sign for anything! At Openraid, if a leader had a poor rating and bad feedback, you could easily see it and look elsewhere. If the leader had a good score, then I join the group. I miss this for discord.

Same for members. I want to check that no member has a horrible rating, have horrible gear and get boosted or check any other info that might be good to have.
    I don't know what kind of raids you joined on Openraid but as I already mentioned, the feedback system was extremely flawed due to the nature of the community. Once you got your snowball rolling in terms of fanbase, you didn't have to worry about anything. Come on your shitty alt? Sure. Leader friend wants to come on a shitty alt? Sure. Don't know a single thing about any of the achievements in the raid you're supposed to raidlead? No problem, we'll try to wing it. Unless the leader was an absolute ass from the beginning (e.g. ninjalooting, no-show, toxic at radioactive levels), you pretty much got rated with 5-stars while in reality many of the leaders and raids had quite a bad quality for people who did not belong to the leader's circle of friends. In essence, the feedback at OpenRaid was binary - you either had a shitty score and you were done with OR or you had a good score and while your raid was probably not completely at the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality, chances were neither was it no-where near the quality of actually decent raids also getting 5-star reviews.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I checked the worst raidleader I ever had a misfortune to raid with (led an achievement run in 'current-tier', came on a shitty geared alt, did not know a single tactic, died on almost every boss, went full-mute by the end of the run while someone else had to take over) and they have a brilliant 5-star average rating with thousands of votes because guess what - they boosted their score in random shit old-content runs while having the same 10-20 people tagging along and leaving good feedback on repeat. Even for the run I was in he got 'excellent' feedback. It was the worst case scenario, yes, but it wasn't the only time I felt like the leadership was truly bad. But as I mentioned above, bad feedback often got removed or even retaliated, so people simply stopped posting poor reviews for popular leaders. Also, leaders avoided players who left poor/honest feedback for other leaders. Why try to swim against the flow?
    Last edited by Mlz; 2018-01-05 at 02:05 PM.

Hello all, I've been trying to run some old mythic raids from Legion (NH, ToV, ToS eventually), to get mog, mounts, etc, but the Openraid community on EU-ally seems dead af. Are there any alternatives?
    Could just wait till the next expansion? Not sure if they are getting rid of anything though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what kind of raids you joined on Openraid but as I already mentioned, the feedback system was extremely flawed due to the nature of the community. Once you got your snowball rolling in terms of fanbase, you didn't have to worry about anything. Come on your shitty alt? Sure. Leader friend wants to come on a shitty alt? Sure. Don't know a single thing about any of the achievements in the raid you're supposed to raidlead? No problem, we'll try to wing it. Unless the leader was an absolute ass from the beginning (e.g. ninjalooting, no-show, toxic at radioactive levels), you pretty much got rated with 5-stars while in reality many of the leaders and raids had quite a bad quality for people who did not belong to the leader's circle of friends. In essence, the feedback at OpenRaid was binary - you either had a shitty score and you were done with OR or you had a good score and while your raid was probably not completely at the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality, it was no-where near the quality of actually decent raids also getting 5-star reviews.
    Well, it seems we had a very different time at Openraid. I found the rating system quite good. People I raided with tended to get the stars they deserved. If people failed, they got lesser stars and if they did good, they got a 5star. It's more or less 1 star or 5 stars, which could be translated to: Play with this guy or Avoid this guy, which is really all you need to know.

For me, it was good, but I if you had some unfortenate groups, I'm sorry to hear that. Openraid was my 2nd home

Deleted
    None of the Discord communities are remotely big enough to manage what Openraid did at its peak, nor does it have the tools to structure the group finding business.

Deleted
    Before saying openraid is dead, wait at least mythic antorus cross realm open. The best times of OR were during SOO/HFC, because these 2 raids lasted 13-14 months, with 8 of them having mythic cross realm enabled, and it was really nice to do full clears weekly with several characters with your teams in openraid. Openraid has always been weak in the middle/beginning of an expansion since cross realm mythic isnt on for the current tier, and now you dont even need OR for heroic clears since the in game LFG tool is more than enough.

Mythic tho is another story, you need coordination and you rather run it with the same guys than new ones every week, so I guess when mythic cross will open for antorus you might start finding several OR runs.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    If you are looking for a relaxed community for finding people to do stuff with, I can strongly recommend the Fail Train discord. This is from the #information-channel:

"The Fail Train is a discord community (cross realm cross faction guild if you like) where people can clear content in a friendly and relaxed environment.
    The Fail Train is for players who are tired of running through group content at a ridiculous pace. Players who might feel a little anxious about queuing for content with strangers.
    Players who are sick of being kicked for silly reasons. Players who may want to try a out a new class but are put off from doing so.

Learn with us, wipe with us, laugh with us, enjoy the game with us "

There's a server for EU and one for US&OC. We try to be as mature and non-toxic as possible, such behaviors are usually not tolerated well. Right now the EU server (where I'm at) has around 750 members online. Joining the Fail Train is by far the best thing that happened in my WoW-career and it's what got me into progress raiding. Of course it's not just raiding, it's more like a pool of relaxed people to do content with.
    Oh, and for those who think "meh, Fail Train = bad players", well, we who raid at the Horde side are currently at 9/11 HC Antorus

Hmmm... seems like I can't post links here before I've made a few posts first, so I can't link the servers. But just google "fail train discord" and you'll find us.