Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,207

    Suggestion - Mod's learn what Trolling is.

    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    Not quite. You can definitely troll with the truth. Ben Shapiro always says that facts don't care about your feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

  3. #3
    Immortal callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,459
    Awesome OP: wants mods to learn what trolling is based on his wrong impression of what trolling is(or isn't).

  4. #4
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    No sir, there is no requirement for it to be untrue.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  5. #5
    If you're trolling, you're trying to get a reaction out of people - usually a negative one. If I troll a pro-Trump thread with a bunch of facts about Trump that they don't agree with, I'm still trolling. What I'm after is the reaction.

    But I do agree with the title of your thread. And not just trolling. There's more than that, that's for sure.
    Still calling them out, one infraction at a time.

  6. #6
    WC3 Megathreader Lilithvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    Agreed. have been infracted several times for this (not going to say when or where, that's against the rules.). It's ridiculous.

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Awesome OP: wants mods to learn what trolling is based on his wrong impression of what trolling is(or isn't).
    I don't have the wrong impression of trolling at all. I know when I'm trolling. I know when I'm not. If I make a straight statement of my own opinion, others finding it "offensive" is on them, not myself.

    Thus if they want to infract me for "flaming" yeah sure go for it. Trolling assumes I was doing it to "bait" or "intentionally" try to get a reaction out of someone. Not just making a statement on how I feel about a situation.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Agreed. have been infracted several times for this (not going to say when or where, that's against the rules.). It's ridiculous.
    Well, usually it's because the mod didn't like it, either, so they infracted them. There's only a couple of the mods around here that aren't too biased to be mods, imo.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    No sir, there is no requirement for it to be untrue.
    If it is true then it isn't Trolling it is just literally discourse.

  10. #10
    I've often seen people who made a comment that mod didn't like get infracted then also seen people ACTUALLY trolling not get a single infraction. I really don't get it.

  11. #11
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    If I troll a pro-Trump thread with a bunch of facts about Trump that they don't agree with, I'm still trolling.
    That is quite possibly the worst analogy for trolling I've ever seen. You are actually saying that bringing facts to an argument is trolling? What.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    You do. But, you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last, that gets it wrong.
    Ok then, feel free to explain trolling then.

  12. #12
    Mods here are trash.. I think edge is the only one who recently or maybe in the past 3 years who doesn’t actively ban people but will actually have a discussion.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    True statement.

    If "trolling" is the reaction someone is after ... basically everyone who says something that disagrees with a person's thought is trolling... lolwut?

    It's insane to think that if I tell flat-earthers the earth is round I'm trolling them.
    Last edited by alturic; 2020-07-13 at 02:36 AM.

  14. #14
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    If it is true then it isn't Trolling it is just literally discourse.
    Where is this definition documented that supports your position?

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I don't have the wrong impression of trolling at all. I know when I'm trolling. I know when I'm not. If I make a straight statement of my own opinion, others finding it "offensive" is on them, not myself.

    Thus if they want to infract me for "flaming" yeah sure go for it. Trolling assumes I was doing it to "bait" or "intentionally" try to get a reaction out of someone. Not just making a statement on how I feel about a situation.
    MMO-Champ, even when something is true you can still be infracted.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Where is this definition documented that supports your position?
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=Trolling

  17. #17
    Fluffy Kitten GothamCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    4,962
    A troll doesn't need to lie to troll. A troll is someone who tries to start a flame war or intentionally upset people by posting aggressive, off-topic, inflaming, or purposely controversial statements with the intent of provoking other readers into emotional responses. They also often attempt to create a tangential discussion either for a specific gain or their own amusement.

    The tricky bit there is intent. The rest of it is cut and dry. The infraction system works like a series of warnings. If you accumulate enough warnings you'll be banned for a short time. Generally you get 3 strikes before any ban appears.

    And also your OP is literally one of the most common defenses to trolling "I was just saying facts!!". You can state factual correct things in an aggressive way meant to bait people, or you can post them in an unrelated thread trying to de-rail it. I.e. in the Trump Shitshow thread trolls will regularly start ranting about Hillary Clinton or Biden, not as an attempt to have actual discourse, but with the intent of derailing criticisms about Trump. The same happens in the Democrat primary/presidential thread where people talk about Trump when Biden is being criticized. (this isn't to say that any discussion of them in those threads is trolling, it boils down to intent).

    Trolling usually happens in the context of a thread. You post a response to a thread with the intent of messing with that specific thread. In the above 2 examples, if you wanted a place to discuss both at the same time without it being trolling to discuss the other, you'd want to start your own thread, something like "2020 Presidential Election Megathread".
    Last edited by GothamCity; 2020-07-13 at 02:42 AM.
    "Okay, Robin. Together, we're gonna punch these guys so hard, words describing the impact are gonna spontaneously materialize out of thin air."
    - Lego Batman

  18. #18
    Legendary! Darkeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    6,916
    Mods in MMOC are usually folk on big power trips, so don't really expect them to learn what trolling is or isn't nor enforce these properly even if they do.

  19. #19
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,082
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Can you show me in this definition where it says it has to be untrue in order to be trolling? Which is where I disagree with the OP on.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I don't have the wrong impression of trolling at all. I know when I'm trolling. I know when I'm not. If I make a straight statement of my own opinion, others finding it "offensive" is on them, not myself.
    This might come as something of a shock to your inadequate understanding of the English language but an OPINION is not a TRUTH, nor is using the argument "I was just stating my honest opinion" a valid defense against accusations of trolling without a whole lot of context and likely a complete log of the dialogue chain to back that assertion up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •