Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I've often seen people who made a comment that mod didn't like get infracted then also seen people ACTUALLY trolling not get a single infraction. I really don't get it.
    Any examples?

  2. #22
    Dreadlord scvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Can you show me in this definition where it says it has to be untrue in order to be trolling? Which is where I disagree with the OP on.
    If it's objective truth, and the person doesn't like it, it's not trolling.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Can you show me in this definition where it says it has to be untrue in order to be trolling? Which is where I disagree with the OP on.
    " (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument"

    Trolling isn't meant to be accurate. As a matter of fact, it typically ISN'T accurate in order to garner a reaction and spark a fight.

  4. #24
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,089
    Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    If it's objective truth, and the person doesn't like it, it's not trolling.
    I'd love for it to work like that... cause I would have 10 infractions less on my record... so the handwaving doesn't work for me.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Any examples?
    As much as I'd love to post examples and probably get banned for it, I'll pass.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I'd love for it to work like that... cause I would have 10 infractions less on my record... so the handwaving doesn't work for me.
    A LOT of people would. But mods typically label trolling as "I didn't agree with this comment or I didn't like it so it's trolling".

  6. #26
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,089
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    " (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument"

    Trolling isn't meant to be accurate. As a matter of fact, it typically ISN'T accurate in order to garner a reaction and spark a fight.
    Not worth the headache or the infraction... I'll leave y'all to try and surgically alter the definition and force words into it that aren't there.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  7. #27
    Titan Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    11,207
    To be fair, trolling is also when you say something (true or not) knowing you will get certain reaction, basically a lot of things can be said as trolling depending on how you say those things (and what kind of respond you expect)

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Not worth the headache or the infraction... I'll leave y'all to try and surgically alter the definition and force words into it that aren't there.
    But...there is no alteration. Trolling is literally the act of saying mostly random shit to get a reaction. It's why it's called bait.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I don't have the wrong impression of trolling at all. I know when I'm trolling. I know when I'm not. If I make a straight statement of my own opinion, others finding it "offensive" is on them, not myself.

    Thus if they want to infract me for "flaming" yeah sure go for it. Trolling assumes I was doing it to "bait" or "intentionally" try to get a reaction out of someone. Not just making a statement on how I feel about a situation.
    Trolling is trying to bait someone with intentionally incendiary statements. The fact that you think truth has anything to do with it is laughable. It’s about framing true shit in a way to anger others. Or being intentionally obtuse to piss them off. Your misunderstanding is your own, not the mods’.

  10. #30
    Titan Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    11,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trolling is trying to bait someone with intentionally incendiary statements. The fact that you think truth has anything to do with it is laughable. It’s about framing true shit in a way to anger others. Or being intentionally obtuse to piss them off. Your misunderstanding is your own, not the mods’.
    ^^^^ This guy gets it.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  11. #31
    Bloodsail Admiral Bwonsamdi the Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    De Other Side (Just kidding) Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    1,210
    Trolling is basically commenting something that'll upset people and get them to argue with each other. At least that's how I've defined it.

    Or, intentional flaming/bait

    I'm aware I'm on some people's Ignore Lists, don't worry lol
    'Oi Rastakhan! I be havin' Friends on De Other Side mon! Ain't dat just crazy?'

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trolling is trying to bait someone with intentionally incendiary statements. The fact that you think truth has anything to do with it is laughable. It’s about framing true shit in a way to anger others. Or being intentionally obtuse to piss them off. Your misunderstanding is your own, not the mods’.
    That's the thing. Very very rarely is someone infracted for this definition of trolling. It's usually just people getting infracted for saying something a mod doesn't like.

  13. #33
    Immortal callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,482
    When you have to redefine, well defined, widely accepted terms - you lose.

  14. #34
    Old God endersblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Trolling assumes I'm saying something untrue to bait People. If what I'm saying is true but you just don't want to hear it. It's not Trolling.
    Yeah I get so fucking tired of getting warnings/suspended here on MMO-C for 'trolling' when I post my opinion that someone apparently doesn't want to hear. They just use the term 'trolling' as a catch-all. Don't like your opinion? Trolling. Posting something negative contrary to the rest of the thread, even though you legitimately meant it? Yep, trolling. Post something the mods don't like? Trolling again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

  15. #35
    I am Murloc! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    5,670
    A Troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

    Of course, this is open to some forms of interpretation. I also have the opinion that certain forum areas might be better if moderators of those areas did not start or post in those forums and sub-forums to stave off bias and abuse of power. (Such as the politics sub-forum and maybe off-topic). Some of my IMHO thoughts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    When you have to redefine, well defined, widely accepted terms - you lose.
    Sometimes in a mature and serious discussion, there is a need to define what some terms mean to do to there being some misconception(s). This may not be a bad thing to do. Creating a common point of discussion is also a good thing.

  16. #36
    As always, moderator discussion isn't allowed on the boards. If you have issues with an infraction, PM a global or admin to get it appealed. If you have issues with moderator behavior in general, feel free to do the same.

    Closed.

    When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift


    Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •