Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    DS9 and ENT tended to show a wider variety of people. TNG followed in the footsteps of TOS and stuck to the bridge crew.
    I've never really gone back to ENT beyond the first time through, so I don't remember much of the details about that show. I do seem to recall that at one point they had a detachment of marines on board. That, combined with the relative youth of Starfleet and Earth's space exploration would easily explain the difference between their crew and the crew of a ship like Picard's Enterprise.

DS9 was more of a frontier, roll up your sleeves (literally, for their first uniforms) and get to work sort of show, so it makes sense there as well.

But it's funny you mention TOS, since I looked up a list of enlisted characters and it was weighted pretty heavily towards that show and the movies. Half of them seemed to be either attractive yeomen that we could ogle through that silly filter they put over close-ups of women in TOS, or miscellaneous names from The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country that are only known because they were tagged that way during an auction of the props.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of exploring the non key personel crew, but this style of comedy is not something I associate with the series. There is comedy to be found in the shows, be it intentional or not, but this just comes off as an unfunny wanna-be adult swim show or a fan made youtube series imo. Fine for those who like it, but this is not the kind of humor I like in the ip.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I've never really gone back to ENT beyond the first time through, so I don't remember much of the details about that show. I do seem to recall that at one point they had a detachment of marines on board. That, combined with the relative youth of Starfleet and Earth's space exploration would easily explain the difference between their crew and the crew of a ship like Picard's Enterprise.

DS9 was more of a frontier, roll up your sleeves (literally, for their first uniforms) and get to work sort of show, so it makes sense there as well.

But it's funny you mention TOS, since I looked up a list of enlisted characters and it was weighted pretty heavily towards that show and the movies. Half of them seemed to be either attractive yeomen that we could ogle through that silly filter they put over close-ups of women in TOS, or miscellaneous names from The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country that are only known because they were tagged that way during an auction of the props.
    ENT has some very good chapters like when we see all the founding species of the federation together!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    A serial killer Spin off from Friends?
    Ross definitely gives off a serial killer vibe. It'd work.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Ross definitely gives off a serial killer vibe. It'd work.

Would you give anything a shot? A Marx Brothers Version of Star Trek? A family comedy spin off from Dexter? A serial killer Spin off from Friends?
    We've already had TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9, and ENT that were all basically the same type of show, so what's wrong with them trying something drastically different? If it sucks, it sucks. But declaring that it's going to be bad just because it's a different genre is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    If you couldnt get into Star Trek before, its not the fans that are the problem.
    And if you only liked one niche and loathe anything new, you never were a fan of star trek to begin with. You just liked one show.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    We've already had TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9, and ENT that were all basically the same type of show, so what's wrong with them trying something drastically different? If it sucks, it sucks. But declaring that it's going to be bad just because it's a different genre is silly.
    I would've preferred a show that followed the style of its predecessors, but simply on a timeline further ahead of all we've seen so far. It would justify the change of attire, the look of the star ships, etc.

I suppose it would've been seen as 'playing it safe', but this action-adventure drama that Discovery was really didn't do it for me. I liked the randomness of the older series. I don't need some kind of greater narrative playing the lead in every (if not most) episode(s).

OT: This looks whack. When I saw the name, I was actually excited, but then I saw the trailer. I highly doubt I'll like it.

It would've been cooler if they had a Star Wars Clone Wars / Rebels kind of animated series for Star Trek. Not necessarily 3D animated of course, just, a bit more serious...

I must say I don't have many objections to the art style they decided to go for, the complete picture just seems obnoxious and forced.

I can only imagine this might appeal to the quirky 'fun' people.
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2020-07-22 at 09:36 PM.

I hope the people declare it is bad, because they watched the trailer.
    Trailers are terrible and a horrible way of determining the quality of the show.

If its half as good as "Ephraim and Dot" I'll be reasonably content.

The concept of an enlisted centric show sounds amazing to me, this show/trailer really just misses the mark of Star Trek.
    Tonally a R&M in space just doesn't get it.
    I get trying to expand to a new audience makes sense, but there are tons of more serious cartoons to use as examples that would fit a star trek tone. I'd imagine something more along the lines of an 80s/90s tone and art style far more fitting Star Trek.

10+ Year Old Account
    The comments i read here, do people realize if you try to lock down what an IP actually is you actually create an environment to perhaps keep it pure but also kill it off.

While you can try to stay true to some of it, once you open it up to multiple creative influences that's when an IP starts to really live on.

Also nobody really owns the IP, Star trek can make kids shows and all sort of things, it is not that this animated series is going to conflict or halt the development of other movies, tv series and other formats. Just let it go, don't like it don't watch it your -trek- universe will survive (without you).

HOWEVER: It might turn out people think this develops in an amazing way...in which case word will spread and who knows.....
    Its nice to see that you figured out on your own how it should work.

My personal preference is to ignore something for years (ex Breaking Bad), take huge amounts of shit from your friends for years whilst providing mean spirited criticism of their tastes and then at the right moment during the final season soundly criticize your friends plot analyses thus revealing that you were just fucking with their heads all this time.

Much better than watching some stupid trailer! I probably won't do it for this show mainly because I gotta watch something while I sort back issues.

I love the caitian doctor!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck is that shitty animation? Looks like more CalArts dog turd. This will fail just like all the other cringe Trek going on right now.

7+ Year Old Account
    This looks like complete total garbage. The "animation" looks like it came out of someone's ass. Won't be watching. Then again I don't even know where it will be, probably some throwaway thing they put on some website, because all the networks turned it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    The comments i read here, do people realize if you try to lock down what an IP actually is you actually create an environment to perhaps keep it pure but also kill it off.
    As a counter, if you do try and not keep something close to its roots, it ends up becoming extremely watered down, not able to maintain its original fans, and not being substantial enough to hold the attention of new fans. I think many would agree that while it sucks to see an IP no longer keep producing content, they would have more respect for it, and it would be more fondly remembered, if you had a strong IP that from its begging to end, held a high degree of quality, rather then one that long outstayed its welcome and strayed too far away from what drew people to it in the first place. (the most obvious example being something like The Simpsons)

You can certainly expand an IP, but if you do it at the cost of destroying its "soul" and what everything is built upon, you are doing more damage then actual good. Not going to get into its current state, but I would say many would agree the original expanded universe content of StarWars following the films, managed to expand an IP successfully while still having a strong central support beam to build off of. Yes, there was some weird shit here and there and not all content was looked at favorably by everyone, but it still had a unifying central pillar that fans were drawn to in the first place. Same goes for Trek, except I would imagine many long-time fans would agree that the central pillar is no longer there, its just a bunch of attempts to expand outward, but nothing to tether on to. You are going to lose long-time fans and you are not going to create content strong enough to hold the attention of new ones to want to come back to.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    This looks like complete total garbage. The "animation" looks like it came out of someone's ass. Won't be watching. Then again I don't even know where it will be, probably some throwaway thing they put on some website, because all the networks turned it down.
    It looks like someone took the concept of Wesley Crusher as a character and turned it into a shitty animation show with writing as bad as the character and actor himself both are.