Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

star trek lower decks

I liked the trailer, the phaser's joke made me smile!

I'm glad to see classic star trek species like caitian and andorian in the crew!

To no one surprise, it's shit. Once again we get a show with Star Trek branding slapped on it that doesn't in anyway exemplify what Star Trek actually is. First it was the hollywood action movies of the reboot films with Star Trek branding slapped on it, then the regressively nihilistic and senselessly violent Discovery and Picard shows with trek branding slapped on it, and now Rick and Morty with Start Trek branding slapped on it.

Who is this show for? It's clearly not aimed at fans of Star Trek. It's clear not aimed at kids with it's wildly inappropriate content... but the show has the air of pathetic middle school immaturity. So who is the actual intended audience of this show?

No wonder Netflix and Amazon passed this up. They know it's going to bomb hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    To no one surprise, it's shit.
    It doesn't air till Aug 6th. How do you know its shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    *To no one's surprise, it looks to be shit.

There.

So Seth McFarlen gave up his show and now works for Stark Trek?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Someone on Youtube who hasn't seen it told him

Parts of that trailer made me chuckle. Looks like a nice break from the typical serious themes that you would normally see in a Star Trek series.

I don't know, I don't feel particularly amused or enticed to watch it. The people that are grumpy with CBS's direction of ST (myself included at times!) surely won't be very happy with this.

First it was the hollywood action movies of the reboot films with Star Trek branding slapped on it
    rofl

I hate to break it to you, but the Star Trek movies have been "hollywood action movies" since The Wrath of Khan.

10+ Year Old Account
    To no one surprise, it's shit.
    And to no one surprise, here comes the haters...

Who is this show for? Oh, I don't know, maybe for those Star Trek fans who don't have a Klingon pain stick up their arses (I name no one specifically) and who are able to enjoy some comedy and a spoof of their favorite show.

I was unable to watch the trailer, but from what I saw in breakdowns, it is a love letter to Berman Trek. The ship is not bad and the designs feel very much like TNG. So the bermanolaters should like that. Unlike some, aherm, "fans" and youtubers who are all frothing all over and probably making a mess out of their keyboards, I will wait to watch some episodes before forming a definitive opinion. But so far, so good.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Who is this show for?
    People who saw the animated Short Trek with the tardigrade and said: "MOARMOARMOAR!"

I'm probably in this category.

To no one surprise, it's shit. Once again we get a show with Star Trek branding slapped on it that doesn't in anyway exemplify what Star Trek actually is. First it was the hollywood action movies of the reboot films with Star Trek branding slapped on it, then the regressively nihilistic and senselessly violent Discovery and Picard shows with trek branding slapped on it, and now Rick and Morty with Start Trek branding slapped on it.

Who is this show for? It's clearly not aimed at fans of Star Trek. It's clear not aimed at kids with it's wildly inappropriate content... but the show has the air of pathetic middle school immaturity. So who is the actual intended audience of this show?

I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was a child and the trailer I really liked is full of reference and the ship looks like a 2380 ship has to do! For years I heard people asking for a comedy show like the orville and now we have it! For years I heard people asking for a show where we could see more alien species on a federation ship and now we have it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    And to no one surprise, here comes the haters...

Who is this show for? Oh, I don't know, maybe for those Star Trek fans who don't have a Klingon pain stick up their arses (I name no one specifically) and who are able to enjoy some comedy and a spoof of their favorite show.

I was unable to watch the trailer, but from what I saw in breakdowns, it is a love letter to Berman Trek. The ship is not bad and the designs feel very much like TNG. So the bermanolaters should like that. Unlike some, aherm, "fans" and youtubers who are all frothing all over and probably making a mess out of their keyboards, I will wait to watch some episodes before forming a definitive opinion. But so far, so good.
    I am so happy to see caitian, andorian, trill, vulcan, bolian etc in the same federation ship!

Looks ok. Seems like its more like a zany version of the Orville/Final Space(or maybe just a fusion of the two) than it is just no names from the lower decks of a Starfleet ship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every Trek show has to be a serious one, to be seen how this will be received in general believe there is an audience for this. I consider this to be more something like Futurama what i also enjoyed watching.

Not sure why people would hate on this, than again also not sure why people dislike the latest star trek movies, i mean compared to what happened to Star wars...

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Parts of that trailer made me chuckle. Looks like a nice break from the typical serious themes that you would normally see in a Star Trek series.
    I prefer TNG edits for that.

Looks fine and fun to me. Don't know what your problem is, but my problem is the insufferable star trek stans gate keeping the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Looks fine and fun to me. Don't know what your problem is, but my problem is the insufferable star trek stans gate keeping the franchise.
    If you couldnt get into Star Trek before, its not the fans that are the problem.

Fascinating. Someone out-Seth-McFarlane'd Seth McFarlane. Instead of him slapping his brand of humour on something he likes to make a new show out of it, someone slapped Star Trek on Rick and Morty to make a show out of it.

I mean, looks ok from a quality point of view. If it's on Netflix or Prime, I'll probably give it a watch.

Edit: Comments on the video are deactivated. I wonder why.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2020-07-19 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Not every Trek show has to be a serious one, to be seen how this will be received in general believe there is an audience for this. I consider this to be more something like Futurama what i also enjoyed watching.

Not sure why people would hate on this, than again also not sure why people dislike the latest star trek movies, i mean compared to what happened to Star wars...
    Probably comes down to what the forms of media are trying to say, or how it comes across.

If you take a show like Futurama or Rick and Morty, they are extremely funny... but they very often have themes and explore concepts through or veiled by comedy. Star Trek has typically been exploring themes and ideas through a very specific futuristic setting, typically through a more serious tone. The more recent incarnations of Star Trek not only fundamentally change the settings/characters from prior entries in the franchise, but they replace potentially thought-provoking concepts and ideas with overblown CGI battles, shallow/nonsensical plot lines and stories, etc. I don't think anyone is saying the older Star Trek stuff is perfect, nor could the Star Trek franchise go in the direction of a more humorous setting. The main concern is that we're going to get more of the same content as of late: shallow, trite, and uninspired shows that more likely detract from the franchise rather than add to them.

While a trailer isn't enough to glean what Lower Decks will be like, you can infer based upon recent content releases and the people involved with this project. Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. If I had to hazard a guess what it will be like, it will be a show full of situational comedy that happens to be set in space, full of social messaging jabs and social/political/pop references that wouldn't make sense to be in the depicted Star Trek era. They could prove me wrong, and I hope they do.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    If you take a show like Futurama or Rick and Morty, they are extremely funny....
    Yes Futurama is funny becuse I can imagen a person of the past behave like Fry if he is dumpt into the future, and a sentient Robot can be selfish and egoistic like Bender etc. It make no sense that peopel who have years of long academi traning behave like this, worse they are not privates but Ensigns? (they have a rank blip)