Shadow Priest thinking about rerolling to a mage

Hello everyone,

Since it seems that Blizzard's intentions for shadow priests are to keep them as they were in BfA or even worse, I'm thinking about rerolling to a mage but I'm not sure to which spec. what are the pros/cons/issues of each spec?

Thank you

I think fire spec will be the most played (and strongest) spec, with frost being second and arcane third, in the expansion. Fire is also very popular for it’s bursty damage and is quite mobile.

Assuming you mean Shadowlands..

Arcane:
    Pros
    -Easy to play
    -No reaction time needing procs/damage mechanics
    Cons
    -About a billion GCDs
    -At times can be very boring
    -At times is unplayable on a raid encounter(movement kills Arcane)

Fire:
    Pros
    -Flow is pretty nice
    -Bad luck protection
    -No GCD on main DPS cd
    Cons
    -RNG based
    -No talent choices
    -Ignite spreading is a mess currently

Frost:
    Pros
    -Always pretty solid at the start of the expansion
    -Easy to play
    Cons
    -RNG all the way
    -Always pretty mediocre after that start of the expansion
    -Only 2 target cleave that won't even work on most raid encounters

Going to Shadowlands Mage is in a pretty meh position. We have a billion GCDs and Blizzard seemingly doesn't care and keeps adding more, not caring about a GCD being a lot more disruptive for casters than it is for auto attack classes. We are still plagued with talent imbalance and there is zero choice for the most part on all 3 specs. Overall it's way better than Shadow. But if I'd reroll a caster atm, I'd go Warlock. Destro is a better version of Fire and you still have 2 other specs that are completely different. And if you care about DPS there is a pretty good chance you'll be set for the next few expansions at least.. Not that Mage is ever bad, just Warlock has been OP for the most of last 3 expansions.

Thank you for your replies,

For me being top dps is not the main issue. Because I don't have time to level alters I'd like to main a class that can do good in raiding and M+. In BfA my main issue with Shadow (the main, not the solely) was that I was insta-rejected in M+ for the 1st half of the expansion. Then, when the numbers of the SP were improved, I had no rio from the previous season and again insta-rejected. My main concern with warlocks is that I've also heard that they were also rejected from M+, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by aryadneae View Post
    My main concern with warlocks is that I've also heard that they were also rejected from M+, is that true?
    Currently yes it is. Remains to be seen what happens with the AoE cap limitations coming back next expansion. Other reason is interupts, but Mage is on the same boat on that one. Would imagine that if it weren't for Masterful and ignite spreading Mages wouldn't be picked for M+ either atm.

I would wait for some more updates, think they're not done with mage or shadowpriest.
    You also have to wait for all legendaries & the other systems, maybe there is something that looks super fun for you.
    Think for me its gonna be Shaman so far, i love the changes & looks super fun with legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by sejii View Post
    Think for me its gonna be Shaman so far, i love the changes & looks super fun with legendaries.
    I've been thinking about enhancement too, I always wanted to try it, but since I've never played it I don't know whether the changes are good or not >.<

Quote Originally Posted by aryadneae View Post
    I've been thinking about enhancement too, I always wanted to try it, but since I've never played it I don't know whether the changes are good or not >.<
    Go Elemental shammy, and stack crit and all single target will be lovely. Also good movement and some other utility, like hero...

Is Elemental shammy fairly easy to play in Shadowlands?

Rotation and pvp were too hard for me. But, yanno, pvp as sp is hard too. So iunno. I reccomend melee but frost dk was not that challenging in wod.

They're actually working on shadow, mages are being left on the shelf because they "aint broke." Bad choice to switch imo. I'd stick with the classes that see development time given to them.
    I'm a thread killer.