View Poll Results: Which era of wow sucked most?

Voters
1629. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shadowlands

    21 1.29%
  • BFA

    607 37.26%
  • Legion

    48 2.95%
  • Warlords of Draenor

    631 38.74%
  • Mists of Pandaria

    67 4.11%
  • Cataclysm

    168 10.31%
  • Wrath of the Lich King

    11 0.68%
  • The Burning Crusade

    30 1.84%
  • Vanilla

    46 2.82%
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ...
14
22
23
24
25
26
34
... LastLast
  1. #461
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post
    That’s not even bringing up having to level every single artifact weapon from 1, there was never a catch up mechanic added.
    Lol'd. Yeah I bet Legion sucked for those who didn't even try it. I remember a guildie of mine was noticeably much lower on the traits than the rest of us. We asked her and lo and behold, she didn't know about Artifact Knowledge Luckily, and rather good change they made it automatic later on. I bet you missed it

    A personal opinion is nice and all, but telling lies or not knowing about core features is silly. And BfAs problems are BfAs problem. Its not like the devs let Legions systems go unchanged in BfA. If I were to vote worst expansion because of the expansion before I would have to say MoP. It "gave" us WoD. That kind of logic just makes people disingenuous.
    - I will never be the Legion's pawn. And this tower will not be its den!

    Best Mage ever lived!

  2. #462
    Probably played bfa the least as it was boring as fuck, one more of those expansions and im done with wow.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  3. #463
    MOP had the worst idea implemented. Mythic plus ewwww... gear should be rewarded from raids not dungeons..

  4. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by kappas View Post
    MOP had the worst idea implemented. Mythic plus ewwww... gear should be rewarded from raids not dungeons..
    MoP didn't have mythic plus though so you must have meant Legion.

  5. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The only thing disastrous about Cata was the complete destruction of 25M Heroic raiding. They single handedly destroyed an entire raiding community with gear parity between 10 and 25M and set themselves up for two entire expansions worth of encounter design hamstrung by having to create two versions of every boss.

    That said, I don't think it was purely the ostracization of casual players in Cata which led to subscriber losses. I think, in large part, WotLK's culmination simply represented a stopping point for many continuously subscribed players who had played since Vanilla. This was the end of WoW's reign at the top of the video game food chain and even though it's seen bumps in popularity since the game in general seems far less dependent on large numbers of continuously subscribed players than it was towards the beginning of its life cycle. (See also: Shitty arguments that "prove" Cata killed WoW because its release coincided with sub losses.)
    I did mostly only do T11 raids on heroic since I did quit(well here I am) WoW after because it was indeed the end for me. WoW had its peak for me(until Legion) because it was just boring at that time. But I do think that Cataclysm had a hard time because of the reasons you say about WotLK and players, not because the raids were hard. People could still do normals, so the argument the poster you quoted doesn't feel like a good reason to me. Raiding in Cata was easily accessible. It was just over for many players. If Firelands and DS wasn't much harder and invalidates my points of course.

    But its the first time I've heard people talk about raiding being hard in Cataclysm. One major complaint in WotLK was that the raids were indeed too easy in the start, so it's hard to pinpoint if raiding is hard/easy, and how much that affect the whole player base. TBC had the largest growth of all the expansions, Vanilla even more. When raids were not so accesible, at all. I don't think raiding difficulty do affect the popularity as much as some people think. TBC is proof of that. WoW was just fresh in both of the two expansions.

    It's like jumping after Wirkola, a norwegian saying. He was the best skijumper here long time ago, so good that they said anyone would have a hard time measuring their success to his. Just like Cata after WotLK. Only in this case I don't talk about quality, but popularity.
    - I will never be the Legion's pawn. And this tower will not be its den!

    Best Mage ever lived!

  6. #466
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    MoP didn't have mythic plus though so you must have meant Legion.
    my bad I meant challenge mod

  7. #467
    It's very simplistic and likely wrong to attribute WoW's sub rise or decline to certain design decisions. It's far more about the bigger picture. It's not a coincidence that WoW's decline came with the genre's decline and the rise of F2P games.

  8. #468
    Quote Originally Posted by kappas View Post
    my bad I meant challenge mod
    Challenge mode didn't give gear though :P

  9. #469
    This is easy. Cataclysm by far. Nothing has ever come close to touching it in it's lone stand on the mountain of shit.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  10. #470
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It's very simplistic and likely wrong to attribute WoW's sub rise or decline to certain design decisions. It's far more about the bigger picture. It's not a coincidence that WoW's decline came with the genre's decline and the rise of F2P games.
    The problem when people discuss WoW's decline is they only take into consideration the idea that the game got worse - not the possibility of people losing interest or wanting to try other things. If you played WoW from Vanilla to Wotlk for example - that's a good 6-7 years in the same game, and a game that's very time consuming as well especially if you do scheduled content like 2-3 nights a week raiding. That might work great when you're in your teens or early 20s but I think as people get older and get jobs, you get less time so you are either forced to commit to the idea of pretty much only playing WoW as your game, OR drop WoW and have time for other games. No matter if WoW got better or worse, it's still the same game and I think most people only have so much fuel in their tank for how long they can stay engaged before they want to try other things.

    If you put it in context of other things, imagine going to the same pizza place every week for 6 years. Then you have a chinese restaurant open nearby and an italian restaurant as well. The pizza might still be good but you'll want to try those other places too which means less pizza.

  11. #471
    Brewmaster Ogait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,326
    For me it was Legion by far.
    | Realm First Monk | Battle of Azeroth Alpha Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

  12. #472
    BFA by far, Warlords had an idea poorly executed, BFA had nothing new to say and nothing to add to the game, it destroyed faith in blizzard permanently with one of the most utterly forgettable final patches, WoD at actually had a semi-decent final patch in 6.2 even if it was rushed and crappy, it made the expansion "Somewhat" forfilling even if it ended up feeling hollow.

    Garrisons still gave me something to build and make, even if they were ultimatley the worst money farm in the game. Ashran was passably bad but still dooable content even if I got bored of it after a while. Never cared nor ever have for raiding so I never felt I missed anything on that front even if the game ultimatley became focused too heavily on it by the end, much to my dissapointment.

    As for BfA? BfA took what legion had, made it worse in every way possible, added Allied Races with the most rediculas time consuming rep grinds for minimal payoff, Dyper Gnomes are still a bad race and need an overhaul imho.

    The Azerite trait system and benthic gear added in 8.2 was going to be the obvious precursor to corruption by 8.3 which broke the game in all kinds of bad ways, and also destroyed the end game experience making it laughably shallow.

    The final boss is a meme, N'zoth a char I actually took an interest in since Cata, got *rofled* away in a single patch that was essentially 2 partially revamped zones instead of say, 4-5.

    8.2 Also did Azshara a dirty by making her a minor villian in her own spotlight to shine.

    Yeah BfA was bad, universally bad, the only decent content was 8.0's launch content with Warfronts being an interesting idea executed badly, which again shoulda been a pvp feature but blizz copped out for no reason.

    Jaina's storyline got a semi-satisfying ending, Sylvanas one has been ruined forever, Saurfang was turned into a weak old man to glorify Sylvanas bad plot armor. Anduin is still a bad leader despite the attempts to make him more interesting, the only good things that came outta it were Flynn and Zappyboi.

    8.1 was Rushed and shoulda been 8.3, they didnt need to do battle for Dazar'alor at the beginning, it shoulda been the finale of BfA with some focus on the warfronts in 8.1+2 to build up hype for the finale.


    As for Cata and WoD the other 2 expansions I highly disliked, Cata ruined the MMO by trying to go back to the TBC era when WOTLK changed that forever and it was fine where it was, while WoD tried again to TBC us with more "RAIDING HURDUR" which nobody cares for these days save the minority of mythic maniacs that half-give-a-damn about the content.

  13. #473
    Brewmaster HordeFanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Not Shilling for Blizzard
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    Probably Cata.

    Wod still had decent raids. Same goes for wotlk, most of it was good except the shitshow with trial of the grand crusader and ruby sanctum.

    So many ppl whos "obviously wod" "obviously bfa" "every expansion after mop was the worst"
    Why are yall here? The game is good and yall like it, we all do.
    The game is utter garbage and only 1mln of blizzdrones are still playing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    I can't believe people actually enjoyed hehexd rngland grindfest that was legion
    Ppl on mmochampion are delusional and 95% of posters are mount collectors/pet battles enthusiasts/casual lfr H E R O E S

    Legion was the worst expansion because it introducted LAYERS of RNG and butchered all classes and specs
    Legion is the worst expansion
    BFA=Blizzard Failed Again
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._google_trend/

  14. #474
    Legion worst by far. Turned wow into Diablo3, with the ability to endless farm BIS gear from dungeons with no lockout.

  15. #475
    It's hard to believe people are seriously saying anything other than WoD, honestly.

  16. #476
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    With the end of an expansion comes my biannual worst expansion poll.

    Which expansion/era is the absolute worst, and why?
    Mists and Pandaria and Legion were a tie for me. Both godawful.

  17. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The only thing disastrous about Cata was the complete destruction of 25M Heroic raiding. They single handedly destroyed an entire raiding community with gear parity between 10 and 25M and set themselves up for two entire expansions worth of encounter design hamstrung by having to create two versions of every boss.

    That said, I don't think it was purely the ostracization of casual players in Cata which led to subscriber losses. I think, in large part, WotLK's culmination simply represented a stopping point for many continuously subscribed players who had played since Vanilla. This was the end of WoW's reign at the top of the video game food chain and even though it's seen bumps in popularity since the game in general seems far less dependent on large numbers of continuously subscribed players than it was towards the beginning of its life cycle. (See also: Shitty arguments that "prove" Cata killed WoW because its release coincided with sub losses.)
    25M heroic raiding affected only a small fraction of the player population. It can't be an explanation for the overall failure of the expansion.

    What we do know is that heroic dungeons were seeing disastrous internal stats, so bad that GC was forced to eat crow just a few weeks after his "git gud" editorial.

    The killer fact you should look at is how many players found even WotlK normal mode raids too difficult. Wrath, for all the pearl clutching by the hardcore, was actually too difficult for many players. Going from that to Cataclysm was an incomprehensible blunder. No competent game designer, looking at the actual evidence of what their customers were doing, should have made that decision.

    Perhaps MMOs' time was up, but their decision to go hardcore sure didn't help.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    WoW is like 99% bear ass collection simulator -- D-Rock

  18. #478
    Bfa for me but I can understand how wod would be a close second. Both were awful for different reasons.

    Too early to say about shadowlands so it shouldn’t even be listed but if they don’t change the covenant system, shadowlands could be the worst

  19. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    But I do think that Cataclysm had a hard time because of the reasons you say about WotLK and players, not because the raids were hard. People could still do normals, so the argument the poster you quoted doesn't feel like a good reason to me. Raiding in Cata was easily accessible.
    No, that's just wrong. Raids (before 4.3) in Cataclysm, even normal mode, were just out of reach for a substantial fraction of the players. And those players realized that early and many left the game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    WoW is like 99% bear ass collection simulator -- D-Rock

  20. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, that's just wrong. Raids (before 4.3) in Cataclysm, even normal mode, were just out of reach for a substantial fraction of the players. And those players realized that early and many left the game.
    Not in my experience, but if you know that for a fact among the player base, I believe you. But for tier 11 it was easier than both ulduar and ICC. Normal that is. Heroic ICC and Hardmode Ulduar was obviously harder than heroic t11 too, goes without saying.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-07-19 at 02:58 PM.
    - I will never be the Legion's pawn. And this tower will not be its den!

    Best Mage ever lived!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •