Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jeff Sessions loses Alabama Senate primary to Tommy Tuberville

Thoughts?

I am mildly disappointed by this. I think Doug Jones (the Democrat) has about the same chance at beating either of them in the general election, but I was kind of hoping for a Sessions win just because it would have been extremely interesting to see Trump having to choose between endorsing a man he has continuously mocked and derided for a couple years now, or hurting the Republicans' chances of retaining control of the Senate.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was also another example of how the polls can be far off. Tuberville was favored to win by 6 points. He won by a whopping 61% to 39%. A landslide.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Was also another example of how the polls can be far off. Tuberville was favored to win by 6 points. He won by a whopping 61% to 39%. A landslide.
    Yeah, polls predicted he would win and he did... far off...

This is what every Trump supporter will end up facing. Sessions supported him, before any other politician that had any credibility. Trump goes against him, because Sessions dared to recuse him self from Russian investigation. Something that didn’t impact Trump, since he replaced him with Barr, shortly before he were to review the results. Just like Trump University, the more you believe in Trump, the deeper the knife he drives into your back, will sink...

Something that the elderly support of Trump, is currently realizing as he is sacrificing them to the economy.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    On one hand, fuck Jeff Sessions.

On the other hand . . . what kind of name is "Tommy Tuberville?"
    Putin khuliyo

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Any links or evidence of those "polls"? No follow up means you knew you were lying when you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What polls are you looking at? Anything from the couple weeks before the election?
    I'm sure Lil Ghosty is busy researching a short essay on the polls she used to post her dire claims of inaccurate polls. Lol, j/k. We won't see any posts with followup re the polls. Because Sessions wasn't ahead by 6 points in the polls.

Misread re favored to win rather than ahead. Still waiting for evidence of claims.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-07-16 at 03:38 PM.

It's good news. Any republicans that are against trump need to be removed from office.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm sure Lil Ghosty is busy researching a short essay on the polls she used to post her dire claims of inaccurate polls. Lol, j/k. We won't see any posts with followup re the polls. Because Sessions wasn't ahead by 6 points.
    Read the post again, nowhere did it say Sessions was ahead by 6 points. It says Tuberville was favored to win by only 6 points, and the comment was regarding how that was pretty woefully inaccurate considering he won with 61% of the vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Carter vs Ford That was a landslide, Reagan vs Mondale that was a landslide. Bush Sr vs Dukakis That was a landslide.

61% to 39% is not a land slide, it's obviously a clear victory, but again this is a fucking primary. In Alabama, calms down.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Read the post again, nowhere did it say Sessions was ahead by 6 points. It says Tuberville was favored to win by only 6 points, and the comment was regarding how that was pretty woefully inaccurate considering he won with 61% of the vote.
    Good catch - my bad. Still wrong. No links to any polls. And Ghosty has a long and sordid history of inaccurate posts. We can still wait for evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    It's good news. Any republicans that are against trump need to be removed from office.
    Interesting. Where have you been last three years?
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-07-16 at 03:45 PM.

Tuberville is a bit of a shit person. He has a lot of negatives. I'm sure most people will expect him to win anyways, but if dems surge enough it's not impossible to keep the seat. Alabama dems are punching him pretty damn hard.

I already had a negative opinion of him as a person based on his behavior as a coach.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Tuberville is a bit of a shit person. He has a lot of negatives. I'm sure most people will expect him to win anyways, but if dems surge enough it's not impossible to keep the seat. Alabama dems are punching him pretty damn hard.

I already had a negative opinion of him as a person based on his behavior as a coach.
    I will hold on to cautious optimism, but this is a state that barely prevented an admitted pedophile into the U.S. Senate.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    what an interesting take.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No, Carter vs Ford That was a landslide, Reagan vs Mondale that was a landslide. Bush Sr vs Dukakis That was a landslide.

61% to 39% is not a land slide, it's obviously a clear victory, but again this is a fucking primary. In Alabama, calms down.
    Lol! If Biden was to beat Trump by 61% to 39% in the popular vote, I am sure you would say it was a landslide. You do understand, I am sure, that state run elections, use the popular vote and not a electoral system. Does it mean Tuberville will roll over Doug Jones or it is a indication of how the general election will turn out? Of course not.

But it is a clear example of how the polls can be very far off. And it is not the only example.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

But it is a clear example of how the polls can be very far off. And it is not the only example.
    Not really - http://aum.edu/new-aum-poll-shows-tu...unoff-election

According to the survey results, Tuberville enjoys support among 47 percent of Republican voters surveyed while Sessions has 31 percent of voters’ support. Five days from the election, 22 percent of Republicans say they are still undecided. With a six-point margin of error, the survey results indicate that Tuberville’s lead is statistically significant.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...alabama-359995

A poll conducted for the Club for Growth from June 29-July 2 found Tuberville with a double digit lead over Jones, 50 percent to 40 percent.
    There simply wasn't a ton of polling, in part due to the delay in the primary, and older polling has increasingly less value as politics has become more volatile and subject to wild swings.

But the polling that existed more recently all firmly pointed to Tuberville beating Sessions pretty handily, and I agree that he won in a landslide. Any time you're looking at a 15-20+ point split between the two, it's a landslide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by headfistass View Post
    what an interesting take.
    Well, they are right. Republicans that are for trump also need to be removed from office.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are terrible choices, but if I was a voter voting between those two, maybe not pick the one with zero experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Both are terrible choices, but if I was a voter voting between those two, maybe not pick the one with zero experience.
    Alabama is Trump country why would they care about experience, competence, sanity, logic or any of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol! If Biden was to beat Trump by 61% to 39% in the popular vote, I am sure you would say it was a landslide. You do understand, I am sure, that state run elections, use the popular vote and not a electoral system. Does it mean Tuberville will roll over Doug Jones or it is a indication of how the general election will turn out? Of course not.

In Alabama? No but if Alabama did that well in Alabama I would say it significant. Just as in 2018, I didn't call it a wave even though the DNC did much better than I expect. I don't over state things unless I am being silly, because unless I see Strong evidence for me to back up a claim, I will simply leave it at my opinion.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I think this probably means that Doug Jones is going to get rocked in Alabama. That was already a pretty solid bet, but if Alabama conservatives are voting overwhelmingly based on national allegiance to Trump, Doug Jones made a hell of a speech about that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    On the other hand . . . what kind of name is "Tommy Tuberville?"
    Sounds like something out of Commander Keen 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.