Shadow priest rerolling into a warlock

Hello everyone,

Since it seems that Blizzard's intentions for shadow priests are to keep them as they were in BfA or even worse, I'm thinking about rerolling to a warlock but I'm not sure to which spec. what are the pros/cons/issues of each spec?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by aryadneae View Post
    Hello everyone,

Since it seems that Blizzard's intentions for shadow priests are to keep them as they were in BfA or even worse, I'm thinking about rerolling to a warlock but I'm not sure to which spec. what are the pros/cons/issues of each spec?

Thank you
    None of them play like crappy shadow.

Afflic is mostly trash in everything like shadow for nearly the same reasons.
    Destro is good in pvp but you turret and gameplay is lame.

No idea about demo the forgotten spec.

You should check some Shadowlands videos but Destro is still looking good and Affliction got its second overhaul and is looking promising if you like dot classes. I would try affliction to be honest but usually casters are "slower" in the start of the expansion.

Thank you for your replies,

For me being top dps is not the main issue. Because I don't have time to level alters I'd like to main a class that can do good in raiding and M+. In BfA my main issue with Shadow (the main, not the solely) was that I was insta-rejected in M+ for the 1st half of the expansion. Then, when the numbers of the SP were improved, I had no rio from the previous season and again insta-rejected. My main concern with warlocks is that I've also heard that they were also rejected from M+, is that true?

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently, warlocks and spriests are almost equally (un)wanted for high-level m+.

The current META is mages, rogues, hunters, and DHs. Arms/fury warrs and UH DKs (if mass aoe is needed) are sometimes used as well. Everything else is B tier, and has a hard time getting invited to ilvl-appropriate groups. It remains to be seen whether things change for Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    None of them play like crappy shadow.

Afflic is mostly trash in everything like shadow for nearly the same reasons.
    Destro is good in pvp but you turret and gameplay is lame.

No idea about demo the forgotten spec.
    While this isn't wrong, it changes from expansion to expansion.

Aff was KING in Legion, for AoE and Single target. They're still Single target King with the highest burst in the game, yes higher than fire mages. But have total bullshit AoE so no one plays them. But it was a total kick in the dick to go from the best class in the game for AoE to the worst. And they did it on purpose.

Demo currently, is probablyt the most balanced of the 3 specs. With Good ST, and Good AoE. Not great, but just good.

Currently on the alpha, it looks like Demo is getting a lot of love. Aff now has a decent AoE rotation that actually does AoE. Destro looks exactly the same as it is in BFA, just no where near as strong because we've lost a TON of stats.

having played shadow a tiny bit in the past. Aff is the closest thing to it. But it remains to be seen if it will be strong or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are rerolling for Shadowlands then really nobody can say anything there.

Affliction got a lot of changes and a lot of attention and is promising, but it remains to be seen where they fall in reality.

Destruction is mostly unchanged, except for what makes them busted in PvP getting nerfed/adjusted and them getting extra AoE power in M+ in a roundabout way. Other than that it has its usual solid tools for raiding at the very least.

Demo is mostly same thing as now.

M+ in Shadowlands gets big changes with the universal AoE cap and really hard to tell how that will play out.

All in all Warlocks alongside with Mages have one big advantage over everyone in that they are ranged DD with 3 DD specs, so at the very least on that front you can count on at least one spec being at very least decent for whatever you want

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    While this isn't wrong, it changes from expansion to expansion.

Aff was KING in Legion, for AoE and Single target. They're still Single target King with the highest burst in the game, yes higher than fire mages. But have total bullshit AoE so no one plays them. But it was a total kick in the dick to go from the best class in the game for AoE to the worst. And they did it on purpose.

Demo currently, is probablyt the most balanced of the 3 specs. With Good ST, and Good AoE. Not great, but just good.

Currently on the alpha, it looks like Demo is getting a lot of love. Aff now has a decent AoE rotation that actually does AoE. Destro looks exactly the same as it is in BFA, just no where near as strong because we've lost a TON of stats.

having played shadow a tiny bit in the past. Aff is the closest thing to it. But it remains to be seen if it will be strong or not.
    Oh for SL? Spriest might be slightly better in pvp and same in pve depending on numbers. All it takes is a few small changes to make anything op.
    But ya.

SP right now in Alpha, is in a really really bad spot. Warlock, you at least have the option of at least 1 spec being good usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    All in all Warlocks alongside with Mages have one big advantage over everyone in that they are ranged DD with 3 DD specs, so at the very least on that front you can count on at least one spec being at very least decent for whatever you want
    Yes that's what I've been thinking.

Thanks for your repplies. Gonna keep an eye during the beta

Hello everyone,

Thank you
    Warlocks aren't really in a fun to play state.
    Sure the numbers may be there but all 3 specs are not in a good state, affliction and demo more notably are at their worst.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    SP right now in Alpha, is in a really really bad spot. Warlock, you at least have the option of at least 1 spec being good usually.
    That is a good point, because if Shadow sucks.. you can reroll.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Warlocks aren't really in a fun to play state.
    Sure the numbers may be there but all 3 specs are not in a good state, affliction and demo more notably are at their worst.
    I haven't been up to date with lock so I would like to know as well.

Are we having the same issue as shadow where the base of the spec just doesn't work? meaning we need borrowed powers to function if at all?

If so.. then yea that sucks, because we all were hoping for some ACTUAL mechanical changes to the spec and not just what we see now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    That is a good point, because if Shadow sucks.. you can reroll.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been up to date with lock so I would like to know as well.

Are we having the same issue as shadow where the base of the spec just doesn't work? meaning we need borrowed powers to function if at all?

If so.. then yea that sucks, because we all were hoping for some ACTUAL mechanical changes to the spec and not just what we see now.
    The base of the spec works just fine but it's not exactly fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by temple1906 View Post
    The base of the spec works just fine but it's not exactly fun.
    I have this super insane revelation for you, but "fun" is subjective. For example I enjoy Destruction gameplay very much and can't stand Affliction. In the end it depends on what a person likes and what not.

Pro of the class :
    - You bring a lot utility tool to your group/raid : healthstone, demonic gate, free teleport in raid, new curse with SL (not sure if it work on Bosses), pet special attack (taunt, dispell, silence, charm)
    - You've a lot of utility for yourself in general : Life drain, "tanky" pet, water breathing
    -You're quite tanky for a caster

Con :
    - I don't know if it's really a con but Mobility : Every mobility spells have counterparts (placing it before combat, teleporting to a certain spot, movespeed boost while sacrifying your HP). That's a lot of spell but each have a special condition to play around. (actually, it's more fun than a plain TP)
    - You don't have many instant spell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Destro

Pro :
    - Corrupted fire is a cool addition. I think it add a bit of flavor in the class.
    - Got one dot but still a pretty instant damage caster (no really ramp up)
    - Not to hard to play but hard to master
    - Have Havoc. It's probably one of the most iconic and satisfying spell to use in the destro kit. You're an absolute monster in cleave fights.

Con :
    - A lot of hard casting
    - No really AOE rotation since you rely on long cd spell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Demo

Pro :
    - An army of imps
    - More imps
    - Did I mention imps ?
    - Very good sustained damage
    - Require a good management of the invocations
    - Good AOE rotation

Con :
    - Hard casting
    - Could be hard to play the spec optimally, you need time perfectly your tyrant for example.
    - Your imps don't switch target (don't know if it as been fixed)
    - A long ramp up

For affliction, i don't really tried the rework.
    Last edited by Racafe; 2020-07-17 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Currently, warlocks and spriests are almost equally (un)wanted for high-level m+.

The current META is mages, rogues, hunters, and DHs. Arms/fury warrs and UH DKs (if mass aoe is needed) are sometimes used as well. Everything else is B tier, and has a hard time getting invited to ilvl-appropriate groups. It remains to be seen whether things change for Shadowlands.
    Got even rejected for about 1 hour on multiple dungeons with just a humble +15/+16 keys on a 480 DH with 2k rio score and several +16 keys intime clears. I usually care only about mythic raiding and some pvp so i did not build an insane rio score, but i found that hilarious, only happened yesterday though, usually i get in quicker.

Just wanted to add people should not base their opinion of a class around mythic+.

Especially if raiding and pvp is all you want to do, like me. ;>

Nah, i think mythic+ is really a weird addition to wow.....do not like it not even on a S tier class.

I wont play DH in SL, but rather return to lock or shadowpriest or rogue. Maybe rather rogue, because casters are indeed slow at the start of an expansion. besides casters will lose all of their great powers in SL.

Like stacked haste corruption and the case that an affliction lock go oom will be no more. ;>

Still gonna reroll or did the rework fix shadow for you?

Hello everyone,

Thank you
    Posts that didn't age well.
    Dropahammer - Paladin
    Dropakeg-Thrall - BrM Monk
    Dropagrip-Thrall - Blood DK