Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Switching covenants doesn't sound so bad now

From the front page

Swapping into another Covenant will not be hard, but rejoining one that you left may require additional tasks to be completed. Once you do, however, you will keep the progress that you made in that covenant prior to leaving, including all of your renown and soulbinds.
    So if you keep all of your progress when you switch, it doesn't sound that bad. It just sounds like it's designed to be something you're not supposed to switch for every fight, because you can't just go and do a small number of tasks mid-raid to switch your covenant.

But if you keep your progress, I could even see myself going through all of the covenants on my main character, to see the stories. If switching isn't going to be punished by reseting your progress, that's like the most important thing.

I think they stated that long time ago switching covenants will cost gold so my guess on release switching going to be very expensive and in later patches they will reduce costs significantly like they did with BfA azerite gear reforging, basically same old "look you gave us feedback and we listened" scheme to keep people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    I think they stated that long time ago switching covenants will cost gold so my guess on release switching going to be very expensive and in later patches they will reduce costs significantly like they did with BfA azerite gear reforging, basically same old "look you gave us feedback and we listened" scheme to keep people happy.
    I did not see them saying anywhere that switching covenants would cost gold.

All they want to prevent is switching for every boss or behavior like that. So an hour or two of questing to restore your standing with them sounds like all thats needed to do that. And questing to be let back in also sounds like a logical action.

It was never designed to be a "permanent" choice, its the community that made it that without even playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Alone View Post
    From the front page

So if you keep all of your progress when you switch, it doesn't sound that bad. It just sounds like it's designed to be something you're not supposed to switch for every fight, because you can't just go and do a small number of tasks mid-raid to switch your covenant.

But if you keep your progress, I could even see myself going through all of the covenants on my main character, to see the stories. If switching isn't going to be punished by reseting your progress, that's like the most important thing.
    That's great, but doesn't help at all when you want to login and PvP before your raid and not spend your evening (if not more, who knows) doing those additional tasks because you need to switch to be viable. If we knew what they were, that'd help. Until then, it's pointless BS that means we can't just login and do what we actually want to do.

It's pretty clear the shitstorm is forcing them to dial back the commitment if they don't show any solid system on the alpha/beta then when they do reveal the system they don't have to look like they walked it back.

Still expecting the old 9.1 "we're listening" walk back though.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Alone View Post
    I did not see them saying anywhere that switching covenants would cost gold.

Source: https://www.wowhead.com/news=295986/...rd-eligibility

He is talking about cost but what cost we don't know, my guess is gold or gold exchangeable currency since Blizzard needs to sell tokens.
    Last edited by Tic Tacs; 2020-07-22 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    That's great, but doesn't help at all when you want to login and PvP before your raid and not spend your evening (if not more, who knows) doing those additional tasks because you need to switch to be viable. If we knew what they were, that'd help. Until then, it's pointless BS that means we can't just login and do what we actually want to do.
    Love how this community has changed the word viable to mean optimal

Source: https://www.wowhead.com/news=295986/...rd-eligibility

He is talking about cost but what cost we don't know, my guess is gold or gold exchangeable currency since Blizzard needs to sell tokens.
    At a cost in this settings means effort, not cost as in "this will be 100 gold thank you".

What he means in this settings is that you need to do an effort to change back as in grind rep back and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    No, I legit mean viable. Have you tried PvP without corruption? Not viable. Have you tried it without Essences? Not viable. Have you tried it without, I dunno, using gear you got from PvE? Not viable.

This is another system on top of the base gearing exactly like the above. PvP "trinket" talents are going as mentioned recently, that includes Relentless. One of the new Soulbind trait gives people 30% CC reduction (which is more than Rele's 25%), it will be insane. So will being immune to CC with Fleshcraft. So will a lot of others, unless they completely remove/make them all basically useless. When I say viable, I mean viable, as in it's not worth your time playing without it. Not just "optimal".
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2020-07-22 at 11:14 PM.

Yeah fi you're not happy with your choice you can just switch and you can even switch back and forth how many times you want, it just requires a little effort.

I thought we would lose acess to the cosmetics if we did that. Hopefully they will clear it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I thought we would lose acess to the cosmetics if we did that. Hopefully they will clear it up.
    Maybe the cosmetics go inactive if you switch, until you switch back.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    At a cost in this settings means effort, not cost as in "this will be 100 gold thank you".

What he means in this settings is that you need to do an effort to change back as in grind rep back and things like that.
    Maybe, we don't know, but they will significantly lower the amount of whatever is needed in some future patch for sure like they always do to keep people happy.

This is exactly what they've been saying for weeks yet none of the ignorant crybabies are seemed to care. The only people unhappy with this system are the absolute min-maxers who want to bring the best covenant for every single raid boss but this was never the point of this system. And people who are hardcore like this will have multiple characters ready for the raid anyway so it doesn't really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post

The important part will most likely be time. Whatever is needed to do it won't be doable in a few minutes.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean you say it's the same old scheme but they definitely didn't fuckin do it for BfA did they? lol

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Maybe the cosmetics go inactive if you switch, until you switch back.
    yup,this will 100% be the case,or else people just do all covenants just to get the collectables,this will likely go away once SL ends,but wile its active im pretty sure all cosmetic rewards will only be usable as long as you are part of said faction

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, I legit mean viable. Have you tried PvP without corruption? Not viable. Have you tried it without Essences? Not viable. Have you tried it without, I dunno, using gear you got from PvE? Not viable.

This is another system on top of the base gearing exactly like the above. PvP "trinket" talents are going as mentioned recently, that includes Relentless. One of the new Soulbind trait gives people 30% CC reduction (which is more than Rele's 25%), it will be insane. So will being immune to CC with Fleshcraft. So will a lot of others, unless they completely remove/make them all basically useless. When I say viable, I mean viable, as in it's not worth your time playing without it. Not just "optimal".
    This wouldn’t be the equivalent of pvping with out any of those things it would be like pvping with an essence that is still good for your class but isn’t the best or having the wrong pvp talents set but still ones that are useful. You’ll still be viable you just won’t be optimal.

As to worrying about any specific trait there really isn’t a point as of now as we don’t know how any of it will be scaled for pvp.

Then you need to stay with that covenant. Or just have one less useful ability. It's supposed to be a meaningful decision.

- - - Updated - - -

You first said they stated it would be gold, now you say it's just your guess. That's exactly what I was trying to say. They never said it would be gold. They explicitly just stated it would be a bunch of tasks you'd have to perform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    If you're trying to win, then only optimal is viable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I assume you will. But you'll get them back if you switch back. It'll probably be like having your mount in your collection but it says "requires this covenant to use".