5+ Year Old Account

Windows Update service keeps turning itself back on.

I disabled the Windows Update service in Services in Windows 10 Home.

But it still keeps going back to Manual (Trigger Start).

Why?
    Why does it keep doing that?
    Why does it keep going back to Manual (trigger start)?

I'm sure Google can give you a more thorough answer, but basically Microsoft treats Windows like a service now, so it's impossible to disable windows updates indefinitely. It'll automatically re-enable itself after a while to check for available feature updates.

You can download a 3rd party program that checks whether the update service is running and disables it automatically if you're really adamant about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Microsoft wants you to be up to date on new features and security patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    it's impossible to disable windows updates indefinitely.
    ?

I've got Win10 Pro and I've had Windows Update disabled for years, so that I only update when I want to, not when Bill Gates wants me to. Pretty sure it's as simple as using gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor) and changing the value of one of the windows update settings.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ?

I've got Win10 Pro and I've had Windows Update disabled for years, so that I only update when I want to, not when Bill Gates wants me to. Pretty sure it's as simple as using gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor) and changing the value of one of the windows update settings.
    Yeah, controlling updates is one of the key differences between Home and Pro editions of Windows 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ?

I love how people use Bill Gates as a catch-all for Microsoft.. He doesn't even work there anymore. He has literally nothing to do with Microsoft in this day and age. He hasn't been doing day-to-day work there since 08, and stepped down as chairman in '14.

Besides, Pro licenses get more liberties, since it's meant for businesses, so an unexpected shutdown can mean the loss of thousands or millions of dollars. For a home user? Eh, you'll lose maybe a couple hours of unsaved stuff, no big deal compared to the security gained from being up to date on patches.

Don't waste your time with Google.

Just take the administrator hammer and hit it very hard.

Strip the right away for AutoUpdate to enable itself, get yourself ABOVE ADMIN rights to change the task planer settings for update and whatever shitshow microsoft is doing with the update orchestrator settings. You need powertoys psexec.exe for the above admin rights, since you are not allowed to change that - neither as "admin" user nor as local or domain administrator.

takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /a
    icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

No more auto-enable Updates.
    No more auto-restarts, wake ups from stand-by for what ever silly reason microsoft decides.
    You are safe till next major update (=windows reinstall like with 2004)

Everything less can and will be reversed with any other windows update, this one is permanent.
    Last edited by Ange; 2020-07-23 at 11:24 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I love how people use Bill Gates as a catch-all for Microsoft.. He doesn't even work there anymore. He has literally nothing to do with Microsoft in this day and age. He hasn't been doing day-to-day work there since 08, and stepped down as chairman in '14.
    it's a joke m8