Poll: Which Sword Job Is Your Favorite?

3+ Year Old Account

Which Sword Wielding Job Is Your Favorite?

Personally, though I haven't been able to unlock it yet, the Red Mage looks cool to me.

Paladin, I really like the ability to have both ranged and melee components to my rotation. The only other class of these 4 that can do that is Red Mage, but red mage loses for me due to liking less a spellblade-like class fantasy than a paladin one. I much prefer being a paladin when I am the warrior of light! Just feels right, and plays good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    Personally, though I haven't been able to unlock it yet, the Red Mage looks cool to me.
    It -was- RDM. Got tired of it doing deep dungeon. I enjoy SAM pretty well, probably my favorite melee thematically (DRG a close second). PLD is my tank of choice and always has been. DRK is probably my least favorite of the choices, though not for any particular reason.

I'll take PLD.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    This is a toughie, I can tell you PLD is last with DRK, SAM, and RDM tied for first place. I love their quests, aesthetics, gameplay and lore behind them. If you put a gun to my head I guess I would say DRK because it seems to be the most relevant to the main story, giving some character development to the WoL.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

15+ Year Old Account
    SAM is my current flavor of choice.
    Here is something to believe in!

Samurai. The most satisfying melee DPS class for me to play. Great aesthetics and flavor. The level 70 job armor is iconic and look great on a Lalafell. The 50-60 job questline is the best job questline in the game and among of the best storylines in the game.

I like the other jobs too, but not as much. Dark Knight is my favorite tanking job, but the armors don't really look good on a Lalafell. It's also hard to assemble a good custom glamour. Gameplay wise it's not very interesting (but still the best of the tanks). The job questlines are decent. Red Mage has simple but fun gameplay, good aesthetics, and a decent job questline. Paladin has good aesthetics, but the gameplay is a snoozefest and the paladin job storylines are hot garbage (the gladiator stuff was miles better).

Paladin looks the coolest, but it's a tank, and tanks in FFXIV are small time damage dealers. So the gameplay isn't really that fun.

So I'd say SAM. Their skills look beautiful and while they usually get the ugliest looking sets alongside monks, there are some mogs that can make you look like a noble western warrior, which is cool.

But generally speaking: Sword&Board > all imho.

Gunblades dont count ?

Red Mage mostly because fencing with a rapier is something i've only ever done in an mmo before in warhammer online with its Witch Hunter. Being a hybrid mage with cool class gear is a bonus.

Dark Knight and Paladin are also nice but as of Shadowbringers are super brainless and quite boring to play sadly. SAM is fine its just not RDM so you spend a lot more time just stuck up the bosses butt and it feels a lot slower and less active/being a team player than RDM that also has the XIV version of Bloodlust, a instant cast battle res and so on to boot.

Does Gunbreaker count? It feels the most rewarding to me and I love the Renzokuken combo, despite the class overall being pants on head easy to play.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Paladin is my favorite. Its just so flashy and the skills look great

Gunbreaker and Paladin just feel and look the best IMO where the focus is on the swordplay and animations. Samurai too, just not to the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Paladin looks the coolest, but it's a tank, and tanks in FFXIV are small time damage dealers. So the gameplay isn't really that fun.
    That's just about every mmo now unfortunately, even in wow tanks are just small time damage dealers that take the hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked paladin, if only because my favorite role is tanking (don't care for the class itself, actually). Otherwise, it would've been Sammy.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
    I picked paladin, if only because my favorite role is tanking (don't care for the class itself, actually). Otherwise, it would've been Sammy.
    Dark Knight is a Tank.

Toss up between DRK and PLD, although for this last raid tier I mained the latter. I'm an omnitank main at this point.

Still in the process of leveling, so I'm not exactly an ideal sample, but I absolutely love Dark Knight (I've only gotten SAM and RDM to about 54 and my PLD is 62).

Red mage

I liked legion monk, the one where you get a stacking buff if you dont press the same button twice, been forever since i played it so i cant remember what its called. It feels like that mixed with a balance druidesqe system, kinda. There are two mana builder that you gotta keep balanced or you lose damage due to harder build up. Its funny, imo, cuz its more balance than balance druid. Dont @Me on that though, I haven’t played balance in ~6 years. Anyways, after you build up, you spend it on your melee combo and it that leads to a fantastic finisher, rinse repeat.