Poll: Should special consideration be allowed for legacy students, other considerations?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Absolutely not. There is no inherent merit in being part of a "legacy", and I say this as a blue blood. I'm glad I had to attend both private (mid and half of high school) and public (half of high school and uni) education without any difference whatsoever in respect to other studends. I was even moved to a different city for the last two years of high school because my parents didn't think it was healthy for everyone to know who I was, a sentiment which I shared to the point I moved to a different country altogether on my own volition when I had to pick a university.

The only criteria for entry in universities should be merit and merit alone, anything else is affirmative action, nepotism and/or corruption. All of which are equally abhorrent.

As far as athletic scholarships go, they're utterly unfathomable to me, and I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of Europeans feel the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Absolutely not. There is no inherent merit in being part of a "legacy", and I say this as a blue blood. I'm glad I had to attend both private (mid and half of high school) and public (half of high school and uni) education without any difference whatsoever in respect to other studends. I was even moved to a different city for the last two years of high school because my parents didn't think it was healthy for everyone to know who I was, a sentiment which I shared to the point I moved to a different country altogether on my own volition when I had to pick a university.

The only criteria for entry in universities should be merit and merit alone, anything else is affirmative action, nepotism and/or corruption. All of which are equally abhorrent.

As far as athletic scholarships go, they're utterly unfathomable to me, and I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of Europeans feel the same.

It’s comical you start off admitting your entire life is based on no merit whatsoever being a blue blood. Then you go on to rail on everyone else.

Irony here is pretty thick.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s comical you start off admitting your entire life is based on no merit whatsoever being a blue blood. Then you go on to rail on everyone else.

Irony here is pretty thick.
    Yeah, no. The only amusement to be found in this matter stems entirely from your assumptions about what being a blue blood in nowadays' Europe entails, and it's tragicomedic in nature. Perhaps you've watched Elite on Netflix and took it a tad too seriously - no, not even that, because even in that show the many contradictions that come with "being part of a legacy" are very well portrayed; there must be another source for your fallacious and prejudicial ideas.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no. The only amusement to be found in this matter stems entirely from your assumptions about what being a blue blood in nowadays' Europe entails, and it's tragicomedic in nature. Perhaps you've watched Elite on Netflix and took it a tad too seriously - no, not even that, because even in that show the many contradictions that come with "being part of a legacy" are very well portrayed; there must be another source for your fallacious and prejudicial ideas.
    You’re discussing merit. I didn’t call you Blue Blood you did. I’m going with what you stated and how hypocritical it is to tar and feather others even though I agree. Even though you’re I. The same circumstances.

You’re discussing merit. I didn’t call you Blue Blood you did. I’m going with what you stated and how hypocritical it is to tar and feather others even though I agree. Even though you’re I. The same circumstances.
    Whom and how did I tar and feather, pray tell?

Aren't most universities private corporations in US? Therefore they make the rules and you have to deal with it. Random complaining pleb is not funding those while those rich people are and operating company usually means pleasing those who fund you (in this case letting their child in). EOT

Quote Originally Posted by IdiocracyIsReal View Post
    This shit doesn't exist in Europe, so its not an issue.

It shouldn't exist in other countries either. It isn't very different than bribery.
    In most european countries government is funding universities 100%, in US they are private corporations not funded by gov so you are wrong, its not bribery at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whom and how did I tar and feather, pray tell?
    Well as I said I agree with some of your premise the how and why I don't. You caulk it up to something simple and rationalize it as well.

Who exactly are you to make that determination. I don't mean that as a dig but really, you can ask the same as me, but I explained it.

Not every circumstance is the same, and in a variety of scenarios one situation seems just as good as another. If we are going by purely some arbitrary idea as you put out, then I would agree if that standard is held across the board.

The reality is that it isn't and surprisingly from your perspective, you seem to be a lot more critical than me.

private schools can have legacy students but public should not be influenced by donations or legacy status.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Well as I said I agree with some of your premise the how and why I don't. You caulk it up to something simple and rationalize it as well.

Who exactly are you to make that determination. I don't mean that as a dig but really, you can ask the same as me, but I explained it.

Not every circumstance is the same, and in a variety of scenarios one situation seems just as good as another. If we are going by purely some arbitrary idea as you put out, then I would agree if that standard is held across the board.

The reality is that it isn't and surprisingly from your perspective, you seem to be a lot more critical than me.
    I truly don't get what you're aiming at. Many of my uni peers came from the lower class, but they managed to get in because they had merit and they proved so through entry tests everyone had to take regardless of class, race, surname and whatnot. To me, that's as it should be, and I honestly fail to see any hypocrisy on my part.
    On the other hand, I noticed how you voted "yes", despite claiming to agree with my premise - now that strikes me as weird and potentially hypocritical, if we are to be... "critical".

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    Aren't most universities private corporations in US? Therefore they make the rules and you have to deal with it. Random complaining pleb is not funding those while those rich people are and operating company usually means pleasing those who fund you (in this case letting their child in). EOT.
    That only really makes sense if you take at face value that that how corporation run and regulated at present is the only or even the best way to run or regulate it.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    I truly don't get what you're aiming at. Many of my uni peers came from the lower class, but they managed to get in because they had merit and they proved so through entry tests everyone had to take regardless of class, race, surname and whatnot. To me, that's as it should be, and I honestly fail to see any hypocrisy on my part.
    On the other hand, I noticed how you voted "yes", despite claiming to agree with my premise - now that strikes me as weird and potentially hypocritical, if we are to be... "critical".
    I agree with you in the terms of what you are saying, but as reality is what it is, and you seemingly kind of ignorant of that and your own circumstance, I don't especially since you used the term Blue Blood.

Again it is NOT an attack on you, but you really have no business making judgments about merit and what is fair.

As I said who are you to say what is earned or not or any other kind of rules? You didn't pick your status, you were born into it, and while you may reject it's perks, it doesn't change the fact if you disagree with this system, you shouldn't call yourself a blue blood maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just another strand of nepotism

10+ Year Old Account
    Defend the parents? Your kids don't HAVE TO go to a certain college.

I agree with you in the terms of what you are saying, but as reality is what it is, and you seemingly kind of ignorant of that and your own circumstance, I don't especially since you used the term Blue Blood.

Again it is NOT an attack on you, but you really have no business making judgments about merit and what is fair.

As I said who are you to say what is earned or not or any other kind of rules? You didn't pick your status, you were born into it, and while you may reject it's perks, it doesn't change the fact if you disagree with this system, you shouldn't call yourself a blue blood maybe.
    So the issues are:
    1) Me calling myself a blue blood, which is simply me stating a fact - one I give no weight to and never revealed to anyone who didn't already know except for close friends and in jest, because I find the whole taking pride in being noble ridiculous (I've said time and again that people shouldn't be proud of circumstances beyond their control, such as race, sexuality and the like - being born noble is no different, you don't get to choose);
    2) Me agreeing with a meritocratic system which allows everyone equal opportunities despite of the circumstances they were born in and is thankfully already in place over here (which is quite different from "making judgments about merit and what is fair", since I dictate nothing).

I remember that college admissions scandal. I thought it was hilariously dumb it was made into such a big deal when if they had just paid the right people instead it would not have even been an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the issues are:
    1) Me calling myself a blue blood, which is simply me stating a fact - one I give no weight to and never revealed to anyone who didn't already know except for close friends and in jest, because I find the whole taking pride in being noble ridiculous (I've said time and again that people shouldn't be proud of circumstances beyond their control, such as race, sexuality and the like - being born noble is no different, you don't get to choose);
    2) Me agreeing with a meritocratic system which allows everyone equal opportunities despite of the circumstances they were born in and is thankfully already in place over here (which is quite different from "making judgments about merit and what is fair", since I dictate nothing).
    Let's get something out of the way first:

What does having blue blood mean?

an aristocrat, noble, or member of a socially prominent family. aristocratic, noble, or socially prominent lineage or relatives: They boasted a lineage of pure blue blood.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bl...20blue%20blood.
    Ok now, firstly

I didn't know you were a blue blood, not that it's anything to be ashamed of, and I understand the context of why you brought it up.

Secondly, I have no problem with your position, but since you brought it up, I thought it funny and ironic you are by the very definition a legacy holder in wife. Yet hear you are making a moral judgement about merit.

Sorry if that stings a bit, but you really can not expect to be an authority in any weight.

Now my position is Yes, I agree with you, however I didn't vote that way because YOUR position supposes that the world has not already been made up unfair, and that somehow we shouldn't start. Or even give those some kind of advancement even if before traditionally they might have had it more difficult.

If a University as a private entity feels it is advantages to employ any of the practices whether it benifets me or someone else, I am saying by virtue I am not going to complain, because as I stated before, someone else getting something I didn't get doesn't suddenly mean it was going to be mine anyways, or there might be a series of circumstances specifically made to allow for an opening not designed for me.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not if they accepting fund from the government for education.

Let's get something out of the way first:

Ok now, firstly

I didn't know you were a blue blood, not that it's anything to be ashamed of, and I understand the context of why you brought it up.

Secondly, I have no problem with your position, but since you brought it up, I thought it funny and ironic you are by the very definition a legacy holder in wife. Yet hear you are making a moral judgement about merit.

Sorry if that stings a bit, but you really can not expect to be an authority in any weight.

Now my position is Yes, I agree with you, however I didn't vote that way because YOUR position supposes that the world has not already been made up unfair, and that somehow we shouldn't start. Or even give those some kind of advancement even if before traditionally they might have had it more difficult.

If a University as a private entity feels it is advantages to employ any of the practices whether it benifets me or someone else, I am saying by virtue I am not going to complain, because as I stated before, someone else getting something I didn't get doesn't suddenly mean it was going to be mine anyways, or there might be a series of circumstances specifically made to allow for an opening not designed for me.
    I still don't understand where you're aiming at. Aside from not understanding what "a legacy holder in wife" means (could be the language barrier, could be that you meant to type "life" instead of "wife"), I don't see how my moral judgement about merit is that horrible, especially since it's in agreement with the system that's already in place and has been put in place to prevent unearned privilege from providing those who are born with it with an unfair advantage.
    I also don't understand how holding that opinion would make me "an authority" (sic, I'm sincerely perplexed). I mean, I'm allowed to just have an opinion, yes?

It might be worth adding that the universities I was thinking about were both private and public (but mostly public), and that even in the case of private ones, the difference between them and American ones is abysmal. I know of absolutely no one who has had money issues in order to enroll in universities both public and private, whereas the majority of the peers I shared the most classes with would've found challenging to impossible to enroll in the US, going by the prices here: https://www.collegecalc.org/lists/ (to which I assume one must add the cost of accomodations, textbooks &c., whereas here most if not all of that is covered if below a certain income threshold).

Lastly, I don't know about you, but I'm positive I would've felt pretty shitty if I had to pay my way in and then performed worse than others in the admission tests. My ego is fragile like that.

I can see legacy status carrying some weight for admissions when choosing between two equally qualified candidates. Harvard I'm sure gets thousands of applications from 4.0+ students who are also 3 sport athletes with a slew of extracurriculars and a history of volunteerism, so a determination has to be made somewhere.

In terms of actually displacing a qualified and unconnected applicant for a less qualified legacy one? No, forget that nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legacies don't bother so much if done right. If I brought prestige to the school, helped out the school, then my kids should be benefit. All that other stuff is nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive