Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Yeah, someone who displays such a blatant disregard for the safety of others is totally unlikely to pull such a stunt again. I'm really sold on that. At least prison would prevent her from harming others for a time, and teach her a harsher, longer-lasting lesson, whereas this way she'll likely feel as if she won a free "stay out of jail card". Which she did.
    by that same backwords logic they should just give her life as sooner or later she will harm some one and life is the only way to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, when did he get caught? Because I can literally go onto the government website here in Ontario and have them deliver weed to my front door. If it was before legalization, sure, otherwise, the only iffy thing might be the amount he had in the glove box, but they wouldn't have searched for that over just seeing a couple ounces in the back seat.

And I literally don't know the legal limits on what you can carry, just the limits on how much they'll let you order at a time through official channels. It might be fine regardless now, I'm just not gonna be in a position where I'd need to know that limit.
    This was like 5 years ago now, I mean we have been growing it for like 7 years and no one really cared either.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Whats is there to discuss she got a criminal record for doing something dumb with no victim once. This is about has harsh as first time drunk driving.
    You're kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    She's been charged and has been given an appropriate sentencing, nothing much to say really beyond her being a bloody idiot.
    QFT. /tenchars.

10+ Year Old Account
    No she should have been fined and set to prison, this sort of nonsense needs to be made an example out of, the fact she didn't kill someone, doesn't change the fact her stupidity literally could have led to someones death.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally this is one my fears that someone will hurl objects at my car while I’m driving. woulda prefer a harsher fine but I’m okay with no prison time for something that in the end didn’t amount to any deaths/injuries/serious damage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    If you're dumb enough to film yourself potentially killing someone with a senseless stunt, you're probably dumb enough to do it again.
    Doing it for the Vine.

The fact that this is somehow international news is the epitome of pretty white girl privilege. Now she'll probably turn this into a "rap" career like the Cash me outside girl.

On the sentence...as nobody got hurt (blind luck), it's fine (she got lucky again), but I would have also been fine with a 6 month jail sentence to be honest.

I'm just not OK with the fact that this is the 3rd time I hear about this today.

Prison should always seek to correct and punish the guilty mind, not necessarily the guilty act.

Former is rehabilitation, latter is retribution.

In this case, the woman clearly had intent to throw the chair and was reckless enough to go through with it. The fact that noone was hurt is irrelevant - the attitude is what needs to be corrected.

Conversely, if the situation was such that she accidentally dropped a chair from the balcony and killed someone - I'd be in favor of a lenient punishment (since the reckless intent wasn't there).

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53494556

Thoughts?

I did not hear about the incident when it initially happened, but I think her lawyer made a very good point when he noted that she is only 20 years old. I myself was 25 before I realized that hurling large objects from great heights onto busy roads was a dangerous thing to do.
    Her sentence should have required her not to have internet access for 2 years.
    It was obviously a determining factor in her behavior
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Yeah yeah we get it, all the Americans in thread going OMG JAIL TIME LUL. You can keep your third world country with its filled prisons and and warzones crime rates. But at least the billionaires proping ya up making money wooooooooooooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Yeah. That would go quite far in addressing my main concern, which that she's going to turn her 15 minutes of infamy into a career, which will just spawn more idiots like her, who will then have to try to one up her to get their own 15 minutes of fame.

Seems reasonable and she has two years to be careful or suffer consequences. And it is not like she would not get heavier punishiment if she did a "stunt" like this again after probation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    by that same backwords logic they should just give her life as sooner or later she will harm some one and life is the only way to stop it.
    Nah, go with death penalty straight away
    /s

But yeah, I also question that kind of, erm, logic...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    social media, sure.

internet in general? no. It's becoming to integral to daily life to not let someone access it for 2 years. Many jobs only accept applications online.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No she should have been fined and set to prison, this sort of nonsense needs to be made an example out of, the fact she didn't kill someone, doesn't change the fact her stupidity literally could have led to someones death.
    how many die from drunk driving?

first offense drunk drivers rarely get jail time. Why should she?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Fake eye lashes, fake boobs, fake lips. Throws Chairs.

We may have just found our new president
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    social media, sure.

internet in general? no. It's becoming to integral to daily life to not let someone access it for 2 years. Many jobs only accept applications online.

- - - Updated - - -

how many die from drunk driving?

first offense drunk drivers rarely get jail time. Why should she?

You make an excellent point. Although my feelings about drunk driving is the same but you’re right.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    social media, sure.

Does not stop them from banning a lot of felons from having access to the internet while on probation/parole.

Those people are forced to go to places like job centers where they can fill out applications on "locked down" computers or get friends to do it for them
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Yeah, someone who displays such a blatant disregard for the safety of others is totally unlikely to pull such a stunt again. I'm really sold on that. At least prison would prevent her from harming others for a time, and teach her a harsher, longer-lasting lesson, whereas this way she'll likely feel as if she won a free "stay out of jail card". Which she did.
    Yeah, you are right. She should have been executed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems appropriate.
    She did a dumb thing, no one got hurt, and she was punished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Every time i see an American making such a comment, i wonder if the definition of the word justice doesn't mean something completely different. It's no wonder you have that many people locked up and such a bad track record for reintegrating people.

But why stop there, if someone drives with their kid and the kid doesn't have their seatbelt on, instead of giving them a fine. Charge them for murder because based on your absurd logic the kid could have been killed if an accident occurred.

To me all this reads as just being vindictive and not looking at how this should be prevented in the future.