i really liked this, but im reserving judgment until they give me full sylvanas+jailer context. im a huge character fan and i wanted them to give her a dazzling fabulous death in SL, not redeem her, but i am willing to go along with this for the moment. there's a lot more to say, and for those who don't think this was logical, anduin is the only person who's ever tried to talk to his enemies in warcraft instead of just murdering on sight. his father actually learned that from him. anduin is probably the only person to talk to sylvanas like a person, not like a banshee, since arthas ruined her life. even her own sisters didn't talk to her the same way. nathanos is irrelevant since he just served her without questions.

someone on the writing team finally remembered lament of the highborne and the fact that an entire life was ripped away from this person. i'm into it, but if it doesn't get fleshed out more, it's going to be really dumb. there's a few avenues they can take, i hope they take a good one. im still loving SL lore to death (lol)
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...lganis/ilyiana
    Professional glass cannon since 2004.

I thought it was obvious from the 1st cinematic that they were writing a redemption story for Sylvanas but at this stage you've gotta be pretty braindead not to realise it now.

There's 2 key elements of this cinematic which were subtle;

A) The Jailer doesn't care if his allies fall to the Heroes, that's a pretty big hint
    B) The reforged Shalamayne bear the same rune markings as Frostmourne and she hasn't realised it yet.

That and we know that Kel'Thuzad is an ally of the Jailer, it's now a story of Sylvanas is nothing more than a pawn and she doesn't know yet.

I'm pretty convinced Anduin doesn't survives* this however but Sylvanas does.

When I say doesn't survive I mean the Jailer runs out of patience and does the job himself sucking the light out of him turning him into a Void Conduit thus creating the Void-themed expansion which has been highly touted.
    Last edited by OCoyne; 2021-01-03 at 02:39 AM.

It's not about redemption it's about how it's handled. The way things are unfolding makes Sylvanas look like a massive retard I mean MASSIVE, with zero insight, self-reflection or basic critical thinking skills. You're not redeeming her, you're making her into a pathetic shit that you kill out of pity. In what world would Sylvanas enter into alliance with someone like Jailer without at least anticipating him to act the way he does, in what world would Sylvanas not expect him to be pursuing his own ends first and foremost, in what world would Sylvanas not comprehend the severity of her actions and act surprised when some baby boy points out the obvious to her. I could go on...

I understand it gives more character, but the one thing I've dreaded is Kerrigan-Like redemption for Sylvanas. Make her the Lich Queen anything that prevents her from being redeemed. Let me end her or at least imprison her at the bottom of Torghast forever.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    It's not about redemption it's about how it's handled. The way things are unfolding makes Sylvanas look like a massive retard I mean MASSIVE, with zero insight, self-reflection or basic critical thinking skills. You're not redeeming her, you're making her into a pathetic shit that you kill out of pity. In what world would Sylvanas enter into alliance with someone like Jailer without at least anticipating him to act the way he does, in what world would Sylvanas not expect him to be pursuing his own ends first and foremost, in what world would Sylvanas not comprehend the severity of her actions and act surprised when some baby boy points out the obvious to her. I could go on...
    This is the absolute opposite of what is true.

She does what she's doing because it's what she believes her purpose in life is. That's why she threw himself off Icecrown when Arthas died, her purpose in life had gone.
    She now self-reflects on her enslavement with Arthas and believes everyone should follow the same path, and that's to live without choice.

If anything, she's self-reflecting a bit too much for everyone's liking. Hence why when Anduin mentions her days as the Banshee Queen or the Ranger General she starts to crack up in both cinematics now.

When she realises Kel'Thuzad is an ally of the Jailer and was instrumental of the forging of Frostmourne(retcon) She will realise she's allied with the orchestra of her living a life without choice.

It's 1000000% a redemption atc.

As the above poster wrote while I was typing which I thought which was clever, it's very much a Kerrigan story from SC2.

Wow they give us a (datamined?) dialogue and storytelling with a cool cinematic and yet, the floodgates are full of tears. Maybe let the expansion play out before you cry about the outcomes you create in your head.

OT: thought it was interesting but I still don't see a redemption arc coming. We have this expansion for 2 years and 3 more content patches. They're not going to do anything drastic like kill off a main alliance character a month and a half into it

https://www.wowhead.com/news=320284/...of-january-4th

<Thrall's brow is furrowed.> We were speaking with the Highlord when he was struck by a jolt of agony. He said he could see something stirring in the Maw. Inside the Jailer's tower. The pain seems to be getting worse. We need to find out what he's sensing.
    A Mourneblade Born: Discuss the vision with Bolvar and the others.

While his father was missing, I cared for Anduin like a son. To see him like that, at the mercy of Sylvanas... <Bolvar's eyes flare with fire.> Something must be done. Take a moment. Let me know when you are ready to discuss what comes next.
    The Jailer's Grasp: Help Jaina Proudmoore sever the Jailer's connection to Bolvar

By peering into the Maw, Bolvar drew the Jailer's attention. His worst fears have come to pass. You must help me break the link, <name>! The fragment of the Helm is the key!
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=320283/...vanas-spoilers

Here we see the aftermath of Sire Denathrius' defeat in Revendreth, as the Jailer forces Sylvanas to take a more-direct approach in recruiting Anduin to the cause. Wielding what appears to be reforged Shalamayne, the weapon of Varian Wrynn, Sylvanas reluctantly goes to Anduin, who won't easily give in.

We're not sure when this cinematic is accessible in game, but we speculate it is tied to opening Twisting Corridors, which some users were able to unlock this week due to quest bugs allowing further progression in the Torghast storyline. Edit: after reviewing RedeF1N3D's user data and new quest uploads, this cinematic plays as part of the final Torghast questline leading into Twisting Corridors.
    Sylvanas and The Jailer oversee a Mawsworn crafting a weapon.

Sylvanas: Sire Denathrius has been taken prisoner. What is our plan to recover him?
    Jailer: Every soul has its purpose. Denathrius has fulfilled his.
    Jailer: We must forge our next weapon.
    Sylvanas: He is not ready.
    Jailer: Then a more direct approach is necessary. We have not come this far for you to falter now. You know what must be done.

The scene changes to Anduin, still kept prisoner. Sylvanas approaches.

Anduin: Ah... there she is again. You know, these endless lectures of yours...
    Sylvanas: ... have failed to convince you. Regardless, the conversation is over. One way or another, we will have have you.
    Sylvanas: So I will offer this... one last time. Join our cause, or be made to serve.
    Anduin: What kind of choice is that? Why even give me...
    Anduin: ... It's the choice you never had. Despite all your grand designs, there's still some shred of your mortality haunting you. As if the Banshee Queen hasn't entirely eclipsed the Ranger-General.
    Sylvanas: Don't.
    Anduin: Now I understand why you brought me here. Why you tried so hard to persuade me. Because if you can get me to let go of hope, you finally can too.
    Sylvanas: Enough!

Sylvanas points a weapon at Anduin, which looks very similar to a runeforged version of Shalamayne.

Sylvanas: Submit! You are only making this harder on yourself.
    Anduin: Not harder on me... right now, you, with all the power... how would you use it?
    Sylvanas: I've not come this far to falter now.
    Anduin: Then why do you hesitate?
    Anduin: Make your choice, Sylvanas Windrunner.

The cinematic ends with a standoff between Anduin and Sylvanas, in a pose reminiscent of Arthas with Frostmourne. Do you think Sylvanas goes ahead with the Jailer's plan, or backs down after the camera fades to black? It really does look like the Jailer is trying to turn Anduin down a similar path as Arthas. And we can start to see some cracks in Sylvanas' unerring confidence, as she's very hesitant to follow the Jailer's orders.
    Last edited by tommyhil622; 2021-01-03 at 04:59 AM.

im back with another thought!
    obviously zero genocide justification here because teldrassil was horrific, and people are saying sylvanas didn’t hesitate at teldrassil at all. now we obviously saw BFA be horribly inconsistent, but one thing is true: sylvanas saw the afterlife years ago. to me, it makes sense that the person who had seen the afterlife wouldn’t see anything on azeroth as consequential since she knew what came after it, and that life is temporary but the shadowlands are not.

im not justifying teldrassil because god no, put yourself (carefully) in the villain’s shoes: if you’ve seen perma-hell and you’re waging cosmic war in realms far beyond one “miserable little seedling,” as yogg put it, what consequence is there to *anything* that happens on that planet? I think that’s what she was getting at when she said “if you could see yourselves as I see you.” because nothing that happened on azeroth had any bearing on the future of what lay beyond it. food for thought in terms of why she didn’t hesitate on azeroth, but now, in the shadowlands, on the cusp of affecting things beyond the realm of the living, it makes sense to me that she would be doubting, especially since to her, killing people has always been mercy (which is super screwed up), a mercy she was denied.

idk, does this make sense as a thought process so far? i’m tinfoiling. sylvanas has never stopped thinking about that entire life that arthas stole from her, even once she saw the afterlife. i’m guessing that zovaal’s plan involves killing literally everyone and converging them into the realm of death. the plan has moved beyond affecting just that azeroth that she sees as meaningless, it affects, well, creation. idk it’s a 50% formed thought. i’m not rushing to anyone’s defense, i’m just trying to get some thoughts on the board for where this is coming from.

even having said that, I loved this cinematic.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...lganis/ilyiana
    Professional glass cannon since 2004.

@Ilyiana

I mean, the narrative forgave Illidan for putting the slaves he'd racked up in Outland into soul engines to open portals and unlike the souls that go to the Maw, those didn't even have the potential of salvation. What makes Teldrassil unique isn't even the moral dimension of what is done so much as that it was done to a playable race in the game's lifespan and the sheer amount of narrative pathos and focus that was wrung out of it for two whole years. Those Illidan spaced were unplayable (and also ugly). The good thing about Illidan's route mind, was that at the end when he did try to explain himself to Malf and Tyrande they blew him off, while others like the Illidari stuck true. Even opening the portal to Argus pissed Khadgar off. While the narrative was overall on his side, it allowed other positive characters to disagree with him, even after his plan basically worked out. This is the least that needs to be done re: Sylvanas, setting aside any writing issue.

With the perspective she's shown, it's not hard to see how she justifies her own actions to herself. She says that no one has a choice and that life itself is temporary compared to death. We know that you change irrevocably in death and even the good afterlives eventually turn you into a totally different person. And you, or rather the soul that was you, will be that person for much, much longer than you ever were yourself while alive. Under her perspective, the grand majority of your existence is used to decide your role in a system of the afterlife propagating itself and you will lose yourself eventually. Given that, what does it particularly matter whether you're depersonalized then or now and if you're going to be a resource and changed beyond repair, you might as well do it for a good purpose, i.e hers of changing the Shadowlands. After all, if she succeeds, she can fix you up anyway and reverse the damage, and if she fails, then it makes no difference since you'd have been someone's tool and be changed/repurposed to something wildly different before too long anyway.

That worldview is perfectly coherent to this incarnation of the character, but the crucial point is that other characters must oppose it. The reasons can be for all sorts of things - it can be disagreeing with the idea that the afterlife is broken and that moving on is part of existence and that a change might sound good but end up much worse. It could be agreeing about the need for a change, but that it's easy to talk about how transitory existence and suffering are if she's on the inflicting end and not the one actually burning to death and then being picked apart by the Jailer's minions. It could also be because her plan is stupid - trusting a dude called the Jailer to use his cosmic army of tortured slaves to make the afterlife better rather than worse is a really dumb idea. Or it could be a combination of them, like Anduin's combination of calling her a dupe of the Jailer, the narrative showing he's the one telling her to hurry along, but also that this is as much a coping mechanism for her and wanting to be validated on how many she threw under the bus to get where she is, so a version of the second argument.

What's important is that these positions are aired and cast positively, and uniquely to Sylvanas vs. someone like Illidan, that at some point whatever she seeks to accomplish is meaningfully flustered by those she wronged. The most tolerable version of a 'redemption' story regarding Sylvanas is for her plan, ultimately for the better in the eyes of her and others or not, be foiled by all those she hurt and killed to get into the position she was to execute it, resulting in some restoring their positive view of her in story and continuing with what she tried to do. Others would be glad to have put one of the worst enemies of their people down and either consider her goal to have been as evil as the means or don't care about her goal at all in light of what she did to make it possible. Hence setting up a lot of good future conflict.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-01-03 at 09:11 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

The datamined cinematic does seem to be a damning case of a Sylvanas redemption arc being made, however that still presupposes that she does not turn Anduin, which at this point I feel is unlikely.

I must say though, I really like this Anduin, I hope we keep getting this magical combination of snark and sheer optimism.
    Anduin never managed to be that interesting because his optimism always undercut whatever good point he (or the writers) were trying to make. However, here he instead is alllowed to be both optimistic AND act like a standin for the audience. The Snark he exhibits to Syllvanas is really refreshing to see from his character.

Back on the topic of Sylvnaas redemption though. I guess it might be foolish to hope Blizzard will go for making the story better by actually commiting to Sylvanas being evil when there might be those that think it is good fanservice to give her a redemption.
    I guess one can only hope that the fanservice of her redemption is not given in favor of the far more compelling fansr vice of seeing her double down on evil and then be killed forever.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    i really liked this, but im reserving judgment until they give me full sylvanas+jailer context. im a huge character fan and i wanted them to give her a dazzling fabulous death in SL, not redeem her, but i am willing to go along with this for the moment. there's a lot more to say, and for those who don't think this was logical, anduin is the only person who's ever tried to talk to his enemies in warcraft instead of just murdering on sight. his father actually learned that from him. anduin is probably the only person to talk to sylvanas like a person, not like a banshee, since arthas ruined her life. even her own sisters didn't talk to her the same way. nathanos is irrelevant since he just served her without questions.

someone on the writing team finally remembered lament of the highborne and the fact that an entire life was ripped away from this person. i'm into it, but if it doesn't get fleshed out more, it's going to be really dumb. there's a few avenues they can take, i hope they take a good one. im still loving SL lore to death (lol)
    I have a feeling that the Jailer just see's Sylvanas as another soul in his vast army. If he considers Denathrius' death - someone who was instrumental in getting the Jailer all of that anima - as meh, then I can't see him considering Sylvanas, an above average mortal, as anything more than a pawn.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The datamined cinematic does seem to be a damning case of a Sylvanas redemption arc being made, however that still presupposes that she does not turn Anduin, which at this point I feel is unlikely.

I must say though, I really like this Anduin, I hope we keep getting this magical combination of snark and sheer optimism.
    Anduin never managed to be that interesting because his optimism always undercut whatever good point he (or the writers) were trying to make. However, here he instead is alllowed to be both optimistic AND act like a standin for the audience. The Snark he exhibits to Syllvanas is really refreshing to see from his character.

Back on the topic of Sylvnaas redemption though. I guess it might be foolish to hope Blizzard will go for making the story better by actually commiting to Sylvanas being evil when there might be those that think it is good fanservice to give her a redemption.
    I guess one can only hope that the fanservice of her redemption is not given in favor of the far more compelling fansr vice of seeing her double down on evil and then be killed forever.
    Said it before, I'll say it again. I'll accept provided she takes over as the final boss. She turns Anduin and then uses him to usurp the Jailer once she figures that maybe the giant blue man who ditches his followers and runs a reality-wide torture dimension and is literally named after imprisonment won't actually save her or anyone else's soul. She gets to be legit about what she tries to accomplish, so is 'redeemed' in the eyes of the only ones to whom she requires a redemption, i.e the Forsaken and parts of the Horde - she's still evil and a raid boss, so people who want to off her get to off her in what will likely be a solid boss fight and both sides get to be happy that Anduin didn't talk her into being a better person.

And yes, this Anduin is entertaining to watch. No real complaints about the cinematic by itself.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Said it before, I'll say it again. I'll accept provided she takes over as the final boss. She turns Anduin and then uses him to usurp the Jailer once she figures that maybe the giant blue man who ditches his followers and runs a reality-wide torture dimension and is literally named after imprisonment won't actually save her or anyone else's soul. She gets to be legit about what she tries to accomplish, so is 'redeemed' in the eyes of the only ones to whom she requires a redemption, i.e the Forsaken and parts of the Horde - she's still evil and a raid boss, so people who want to off her get to off her in what will likely be a solid boss fight and both sides get to be happy that Anduin didn't talk her into being a better person.

And yes, this Anduin is entertaining to watch. No real complaints about the cinematic by itself.
    I still don't see why she should be redeemed in th eyes of the Horde, much less the Forsaken. Even supposing the large majority doesnt accept her as anything but a tyrant she still did evil stuff to them directly. Why should Forsaken be willing to believe she got redeeemed when she massacred her own people for the crime of having hope?

I could see a case where her followers believe she got redeemed, but that would only really end up in the same broad sense that evil people will always accept that their leaders were good all along.

I agree on Sylvanas as a final raid boss though. The Jailer might be more powerful or whatever at this point, but Sylvanas is definitely hte one that carries that part of the storyline. At best I have seem a couple that want to see what happens forward with tthe Jailer since we know so little, though I have yet to see anyone really care about defeating him like I have seen people care about getting to defeat Sylvanas as a raid boss.

All in all, I hope we get Sylvanas to keep being evil to build up to her eventual defeat. Especially now that Anduin is about to be turned unless Sylvanas has a surprise change of heart.

Would be a shame if Anduin becomes brainwashed after this and we lose his character right when it finally got to the point where it should be, though I guess that works well as meta-motivation on freeing him.

I still don't see why she should be redeemed in th eyes of the Horde, much less the Forsaken. Even supposing the large majority doesnt accept her as anything but a tyrant she still did evil stuff to them directly. Why should Forsaken be willing to believe she got redeeemed when she massacred her own people for the crime of having hope?

I could see a case where her followers believe she got redeemed, but that would only really end up in the same broad sense that evil people will always accept that their leaders were good all along.
    Even if I agreed with the idea that killing defecting high officials necessitated a redemption rather than being anachronistic melodrama, BTS was shit and the sooner every trace of it is erased the better. The entire book was based around ignoring the entirety of Forsaken lore up to that point, from the mental effects of undeath and their reaction to the Light down to the relationship with Lordaeron, given that Sylvanas was the one to encourage taking up that identity again after Cataclysm as a part of her and their decision to take that up. Sylvanas was only ever an oppressive figure in that one book and never before or since, as you can tell from the rate at which she is betrayed from putting her faith in people and letting them act without supervision. More Forsaken have turned against her on the basis of her being too moral (Godfrey, Putress, Galen) than ever did over the opposite and it's under Sylvanas that they went from sad zombies in a basement to the premier power in Lordaeron. Trying to separate the two was always a mistake and became even more of one by way of its abysmal execution.

Besides, even that terrible book had Sylvanas say to herself in her own mind that her goal was to make the Forsaken immortal using the valks, so if anything BTS fans, of whom there must be at least one, must conclude that if whatever she ends up doing has the side effect of securing them a better place in the afterlife and thus seals up the separation between the two, this is actually reverting to this powerful and defining characterization of her. That is, unless their appreciation for the book was based solely on the neutering of the race into human orbiters who's every defining trait, history and character needs to be removed in favor of living Lordaeron LARPers on the wrong faction. But I can't imagine that being the case, especially not given that virtually everyone who defends it on this and every other forum mains Alliance and had never touched something Forsaken related prior.

Re: Anduin, no matter what happens to Sylvanas, he will never die. He might be turned for a raid fight, but he's the game's main character. The only question is if he gets turned at all and if so, if it's to benefit Sylvanas or the Jailer before we inevitably save him.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-01-03 at 10:12 AM.

Well, good to see Sylvi loosing her self confidence for once. New Anduin is also looking good. Hope they wont waste it all later. Jailer kinda speaking in one liners is annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that's easy. Redemption through ultimate sacrifice.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

I actually think that they'll turn Anduin(But he'll break free from their control later on, obviously. Perhaps Arthas himself will show up and teach him how to resist the Jailer's will). This will be the beginning of his space journey to master all the elements. So far he can handle Light, after this expansion he'll be a master of Death, after that perhaps Void and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by UndedoKoleda View Post
    I actually think that they'll turn Anduin(But he'll break free from their control later on, obviously. Perhaps Arthas himself will show up and teach him how to resist the Jailer's will). This will be the beginning of his space journey to master all the elements. So far he can handle Light, after this expansion he'll be a master of Death, after that perhaps Void and so on...
    I mean, they can turn him forcibly. I imagine it would require him getting stabbed by new Frostmourne and getting his soul taken or something like that (similar to what Uther and Arthas had).
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-01-03 at 10:15 AM.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Even if I agreed with the idea that killing defecting high officials necessitated a redemption rather than being anachronistic melodrama, BTS was shit and the sooner every trace of it is erased the better. The entire book was based around ignoring the entirety of Forsaken lore up to that point, from the mental effects of undeath and their reaction to the Light down to the relationship with Lordaeron, given that Sylvanas was the one to encourage taking up that identity again after Cataclysm as a part of her and their decision to take that up. Sylvanas was only ever an oppressive figure in that one book and never before or since, as you can tell from the rate at which she is betrayed from putting her faith in people and letting them act without supervision. More Forsaken have turned against her on the basis of her being too moral (Godfrey, Putress, Galen) than ever did over the opposite and it's under Sylvanas that they went from sad zombies in a basement to the premier power in Lordaeron. Trying to separate the two was always a mistake and became even more of one by way of its abysmal execution.
    Regardless it still happened, and even if we assume it is removed from canon she still broke the core tenets of the Forsaken that she herself created.
    The Forsaken are supposed to be all about free will, and yet even since Cataclysm we have seen that Sylvanas has consistently tried to enslave people or break their mind for her own gain.
    BTS might be her at peak villainy, at least until burning down Teldrassil, but even excising the part where she killed her own people in BtS she still tried to break the mind of Koltira for pursuing an armistice, and later raised Forsaken specifically without free will or at least in such a way that their mental state would prevent them from making a proper choice.

The end to the Forsaken story in BfA, ignoring the part with Calia, seems to be the Forsaken realizing and coming to terms with the fact that the one they thought always had their existence in mind, and strove ot uphold the ideals they aspired to, was in fact always using them for her own ends.
    Why should the Forsaken at this point spin on a dime and accept her back? She has betrayed everything they are supposed to stand for.

Also notice how Sylvanas has been repeating Jailer's exact words verbatim. I think they're making a point of emphasizing that. Why? Who knows. Perhaps to show Sylvanas is just a servant to someone else, speaking someone else's words and not her own. Yuck, hope they're not going down the "woman in chains" route and turning her into a damsel in distress. But after this cinematic, anything goes.

@OCoyne
    I'm seeing your point of view but I disagree, gonna write a longer reply when I'm in front of PC
    Last edited by bagina; 2021-01-03 at 10:18 AM.

Prepatch BfA
    Delaryn Summermoon: Sylvannas u are not like that! Why?!
    Sylvannas: BURN!!!!!!!!!

SL
    Anduin: Sylvanas, u are not like that! Why?!
    Sylvannas: take me little lion, take me now!
    Already they plot against us.
    Seize this moment, Varian.
    Dismantle the Horde!