Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Are you implying that's out of character?
    Are you trolling? I can't tell anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Are you trolling? I can't tell anymore.
    Why would Flynn Fairwind, an already comedic and flirtatious character, not act even more flirtatious with a man he's seeing in their private correspondance?

If it was a straightlaced SHAW doing that you may have an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Why would Flynn Fairwind, an already comedic and flirtatious character, not act even more flirtatious with a man he's seeing in their private correspondance?

If it was a straightlaced SHAW doing that you may have an argument.
    Do you honestly not realize that "xoxo" is internet lingo?

It's like having a character put "rofl" or "lol" in their in game letters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

No, "XOXO" standing in for hugs and kisses dates back to the 1800's.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

So, apparently Flynn Fairwind signs his letters to Shaw with "xoxo"

From the newest book:

I really can't deal with this shit anymore.
    So weird, that a woman writes a book about two male lovers. It's like a fetish or something. It's as if a man wrote a book about two sexy lesbians. Creepy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I have a feeling Golden is going full JKR. All she needs is some transphobic tweet rants.
    That would be glorious to watch.

Formerly known as Arafal

My initial reaction to the xoxo signing is simply this is a way of making Shaw go 'ugh' with a dismissive eye roll. Playful teasing is a way of showing affection, plus he might simply be one of those people with very visual imagination. Just think of it, serious straight-faced Shaw reading through the letter. He gets to this part and his usual stony face goes into a slight grimace, eyes rolling back as this is a huge deviation from the straightforwardness of his usual correspondences. Hell, the intention might be that the readers are supposed to act the same way! Not everything is meant to make us turn into berserkers leaping to our computers to pound out a post using only our fists about how bad this is and how everybody should agree with them on how bad it is.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    No, "XOXO" standing in for hugs and kisses dates back to the 1800's.
    Citation needed. I know that X was used to sign letters in a Christian context but I've never heard about "xoxo" anywhere prior to the 20th century.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Citation needed. I know that X was used to sign letters in a Christian context but I've never heard about "xoxo" anywhere prior to the 20th century.
    You can read more about it here. A quick summary below:
    Again, there's no clear cut answer or easily followed history for this. It's believed that the X comes from back in the Middle Ages when people used to sign letters that way. X was used in place of a signature because many people couldn't read or write. It was also a Christian symbol, meant to represent the cross, and used as a substitute for the word "Christ," by way of the Greek letter "Chi" which looks like an X. The theory is that, because there is a long history of Christians kissing statues of Christ or kissing the Bible, the X may have originally meant "seal it with a kiss." Another theory is that the X looks like two people kissing, and that's how it began to mean "kiss." Regardless, as of the mid-1800s, the meaning of X was solidified as "kiss."
    Meanwhile, postcards with "XOXO" on them were common back when I was a kid, in the 80's and 90's before common Internet even existed.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

"Genocide" is a modern word too, didn't stop them from using it. Wait, that was Golden too. It was even used inaccurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    You can read more about it here. A quick summary below:

Meanwhile, postcards with "XOXO" on them were common back when I was a kid, in the 80's and 90's before common Internet even existed.
    My original post is wrong then. Still, the article you linked says the earliest example is from 1960 meaning that it comes from a modern/postmodern context which makes it seem out of place nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    "Genocide" is a modern word too, didn't stop them from using it. Wait, that was Golden too. It was even used inaccurately.
    Yeah, I think there's still a difference here because genocide as a concept isn't innately tied to the term that was coined in the 20th century. Also other languages had synonymous words to describe the same thing.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-11-25 at 07:45 PM.

wow is mostly supposed to be a medieval story
    1800s arent medieval lol
    and besides that, it just doesnt sound right. it doesnt fit.

just imagine if Aragorn wrote Arwen a letter ending with "xoxo" in LotR. sounds absolutely dumb? thats because it is (seriously, just imagine it for a second)
    same as here. nobody can claim this fits into the wow lore and theme
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Did anyone visit Goldens twitter to check if any cultist is praising her for the "bold" move yet?

i dont really care about the xoxo thing.

i am more interested in what lore Golden is going ruin...... i mean change next.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Weird, I remember signing letters with xoxo back in the 80's before I even had access to the internet.

Are the Primals no longer extinct in the MU? There's a captured Genesaur in Maldraxxus you can fight so I assume the Brokers have some place where they're breeding them.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Are the Primals no longer extinct in the MU? There's a captured Genesaur in Maldraxxus you can fight so I assume the Brokers have some place where they're breeding them.
    Who knows really? I mean some Botani survive the escape from AU Draenor and maybe they just know how to create conditions to revive/regenerate Genesaur on foreign worlds as long as there is plant life but nothing has come of it yet. Though I'll list alternate possibilities:
    1. The Brokers can time travel and just grab stuff from whenever in addition to wherever.
    2. It's an old Genesaur they've had in captivity for years taken from before they were hunted to extinction.
    3. It's a Genesaur that was taken from Alternate Draenor, we know souls from there also head to the Shadowlands so maybe they took the opportunity to do some swiping.
    4. Maybe there's a Primal afterlife?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Special Dialogue with Rogues
    Kearnen the Blade has special dialogue for Rogues who have completed the Order Hall Campaign - You are able to tell her that her last efforts were not in vain!
    The margrave may be gone, but that doesn't mean our efforts have stopped. We'll have our vengeance in due course.

The following dialogue can only be seen by Rogues who have completed the Order Hall Campaign:
    Wait--you... you're from Azeroth. Tell me, did my message get to the Uncrowned?

> Yes, I delivered it.

Thank you... it's good to know my last efforts weren't in vain.

=================
    this is Dialogue with Amber Kearnen in Maldraxxus
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=319508/...in-shadowlands

3+ Year Old Account
    Apparently, Sapphiron chose to retain his form but she wanted to make her horns straight

The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing