Page 1 of 52
1
2
3
11
51
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why so much hate for Tinkerer?

    I really don't understand a community that hates variety so much. A technical based class with steampunk vibes is usually a staple in many fantasy games and its a clear missing component in WoW despite the myriad of technologies the world offers. Yet anytime someone suggests a desire for the class or even comes up with creative ways to implement it half the community it seems nearly has a stroke with the amount of rage they bring.
    I mean in reality it doesn't have to be called tinkerer, but i do think the game would benefit from a class that embodies a mechanical steam punk type vibe.

    Current Thread Warnings:

    The long-winded back and forth has gone on quite long enough. Let's pivot back to the actual topic of the thread and stop arguing about specifically why a Tinker class can or cannot be implemented.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-07-30 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added Thread Warnings

  2. #2
    A vast majority no doubt loathe the idea, but not everyone. I'm in the latter. Tinkerer, Machinist, Engineer - call it what you will. It could be a fantastic addition to WoW.

    That being said, it would have to be done right. One slip up and the fickle mob, aka the community, would have a fit. Monks fitted MoP because of the Pandaren culture, and Demon Hunters fitted Legion because it came time to fight fire with fire. Depending on what happens after Shadowlands, that could be the time to introduce a new class.

    But only time will tell. And HE is watching from beyond the veil. Damaged, but rebuilding.

  3. #3
    They look at is as to goofy while the game has been that way since the very beginning. They'd rather want more edgy classes as apparently demon hunters didn't bring enough edgyness to the table.

  4. #4
    Because there are around 20 classes that makes more sense and I (and probably others) would rather see implemented than tinker. Necromancer, Spellsword, Dark Ranger, Spellbreaker...; there are far more classes that are better than tinkerer: we have engineering for it, and i rather have an extension to it than a class around it. If they want, they could make Tinkerer an earnable spec from engineering, but it's own class? Nah.
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-07-24 at 07:06 AM.

  5. #5
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

  6. #6
    Because we've had that topic a gazillion times, and yet, there are two new threads every day. It's mind numbing.

  7. #7
    I have no clue either OP. I've yet to see a single valid argument against a Tinker class.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Because there are around 20 classes that makes more sense and I (and probably others) would rather see implemented than tinker. Necromancer, Spellsword, Dark Ranger, Spellbreaker...; there are far more classes that are better than tinkerer: we have engineering for it, and i rather have an extension to it than a class around it. If they want, they could make Tinkerer an earnable spec from engineering, but it's own class? Nah.
    Every promotional class you named would make more sense as a 4th spec than Tinker.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Because we live in a place of freedom of speech
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Stop talking.

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Phaelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quel’Thalas
    Posts
    739
    It sounds ridiculous. The fantasy of all the classes make sense, except for tinkers, and if I’m being completely honest we need another caster class first. They’ve introduced 3 melee classes since WoW began, and I’d like them to introduce another magical caster class to balance it out. Every time someone brings up tinker all I see in my head is robots and guns. It’s a boring concept.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I really don't understand a community that hates variety so much. A technical based class with steampunk vibes is usually a staple in many fantasy games and its a clear missing component in WoW despite the myriad of technologies the world offers. Yet anytime someone suggests a desire for the class or even comes up with creative ways to implement it half the community it seems nearly has a stroke with the amount of rage they bring.
    I mean in reality it doesn't have to be called tinkerer, but i do think the game would benefit from a class that embodies a mechanical steam punk type vibe.
    Most threads that come up about this (yet another new one where it wasn’t needed) don’t have a lot of hate for the class from what I’ve seen.
    Most people I see don’t want it because (a) it would only make sense for very few classes to have them, (b) Blizzard already has issues balancing the class we already have, and (c) people would prefer Necromancer (which we already have with DK) over Tinkerer.

  10. #10
    It's vapid, shallow and totally irrelevant but I hate the fucking word Tinker.

  11. #11
    I think Tinker is an awful name for a class, personally. There's weird overlap with Engineering. I'm all for a tech based class, but if it's tied to Goblins / Gnomes, I just don't see people wanting to play it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    It sounds ridiculous. The fantasy of all the classes make sense, except for tinkers, and if I’m being completely honest we need another caster class first. They’ve introduced 3 melee classes since WoW began, and I’d like them to introduce another magical caster class to balance it out. Every time someone brings up tinker all I see in my head is robots and guns. It’s a boring concept.
    What exactly doesn't make sense about them? You're gonna need to elaborate, because stating they don't make sense while not explaining why isn't getting getting it done.



    They were in warcraft 3, have been in wow since vanilla, and have been featured more and more in recent expansions. Gazlowe works just fine in Hots. LoL also has a ton of champs that could pass up as tinkers, Rumble, Heimerdinger, Ziggs, Viktor, Orianna. What about that "fantasy" doesn't make sense? You're saying a mage shooting fireballs from his hands and turning people into sheep makes sense, but using a mech suit and gadgets which are very much a thing in Warcraft doesn't make sense?

  13. #13
    The hate is not against the Tinker class mainly. It's against the people who think there will be a Tinker class.

  14. #14
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    35,674
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I really don't understand a community that hates variety so much.
    I only hate posts with this kind of generalisation and hyperbole...and not variety.

    The "community" doesn't hate Tinkers. As plenty of topics show (including this), there are people clearly in favour of it. So much they keep making topics constantly. Polls are pretty evened out IIRC, and there is a debate how to implement them.

    In addition we keep requests for 4th speccs, tanking shamans, healing mages, Necromancer class, etc etc. Which absolutely is pro-variety

    Plus, people on MMO C are just a handful of players (and also people who quit yet still talk about WoW) and in the and a tiny minority of the WoW community.

    And even if you tell me that you were talking about the MMO-C community, it is still bs. Even the MMO-C community doesn't "hate variety so much"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It's vapid, shallow and totally irrelevant but I hate the fucking word Tinker.
    Never thought about that, but here is how Blizzard will mega-troll ppl: They will implement the class but call them "Mechanist" and then THAT will piss people off to no end
    Last edited by det; 2020-07-24 at 07:56 AM.

  15. #15
    Immortal Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    7,944
    The more popular something becomes, the more likely you are to see backlash.

    If you think back through the history of the most requested classes, whatever was most popular at the time got a ton of threads and as a result a lot of hate.

    Right now, the zeitgeist revolves mainly around Tinkers. Before that it was Demon Hunters, and before that Runemasters and Brewmasters (Monks), and before that Death Knights.

    There's a whole big list of things people want, and there's a hierarchy to it, which changes depending on what people want and what's currently in development. Before Blizzcon, Dark Rangers and Necromancers were also being widely discussed, but now that we know Shadowlands won't include a new class, people have sort of given up on those two.

    Every time something gets checked off that list, the next most popular thing becomes the topic du jour. And until these classes become a reality, you'll get people responding by saying they don't fit into the game, or they're too much like other classes or professions, or they should be a spec instead of a full class, or that Blizzard can't possibly balance another class.

    These same arguments have been going on for over a decade.

    Same for races. For the longest time all anyone talked about was pandaren, go back pre-MoP and you can find countless threads on WoW forums discussing how they'd be added, which faction they'd join, what racials they'd have, etc. Then it was subraces. Then vulpera. Now it's all about high elves.

    Next big race discussion topics after void elves get overhauled in 9.x will probably be undead blood elf customization options, and then maybe Covenant Allied Races or something. And after that it'll fall back to classics like ogres, vrykul, and ethereals, and/or whatever it looks like the next expansion will revolve around.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2020-07-24 at 07:53 AM.

  16. #16
    Because I want Warriorors and Hunterers first.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,814
    Because Tinker is a fucking slur word to some of us. It's a highly offensive word to people of a certain background. It's pretty much like calling black people the N word.

  19. #19
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,017
    The main reason I dislike the idea is that it will likely screw with engineering in major ways. If you want a steampunk vibe, go all in with engineering.

    Plus, being totally honest, some of the people who are constantly creating threads to advocate for it are annoying.

    Last reason--and most important--is that the game has enough classes and doesn't need any more. You've already got gnomes and goblins as races that lean this direction and a profession that plays well for this.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-07-24 at 07:58 AM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I really don't understand a community that hates variety so much. A technical based class with steampunk vibes is usually a staple in many fantasy games and its a clear missing component in WoW despite the myriad of technologies the world offers. Yet anytime someone suggests a desire for the class or even comes up with creative ways to implement it half the community it seems nearly has a stroke with the amount of rage they bring.
    I mean in reality it doesn't have to be called tinkerer, but i do think the game would benefit from a class that embodies a mechanical steam punk type vibe.
    I don't like it because they are way to goofy and silly while being heavily connected to the two comic relief races of wow. I can't take that seriously. I don't need and edgy class but don't WANT a goofy class. I rather have no class at all.

    AND: New classes are always connected to the expansion itself. If we get a gnome and goblin expansion back i will be faster gone than you can say "tinker"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •