Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Shouldn't it be tinkerer? I'd rather have subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I really don't understand a community that hates variety so much. A technical based class with steampunk vibes is usually a staple in many fantasy games and its a clear missing component in WoW despite the myriad of technologies the world offers. Yet anytime someone suggests a desire for the class or even comes up with creative ways to implement it half the community it seems nearly has a stroke with the amount of rage they bring.
    I mean in reality it doesn't have to be called tinkerer, but i do think the game would benefit from a class that embodies a mechanical steam punk type vibe.
    I am sure most people would welcome a Tinker class. All these haters (not talking about all people who don't care about tinkers) are just people who want another edgy class so they can ERP as a Sylvanas look-alike. So if they add Tinkers to the game, this will mean that they won't add another class in the near future.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-07-24 at 09:51 AM.

I think its down too two reasons really, One being Engineers pretty much fill the role and the second being, its brought up so much like every expansion every blizzcon there is a post asking about it. There is a thread right now, asking if we will get them in patch 10. After shadowlands, due to a "Timeskip" which Ion has since de bunked

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    What exactly doesn't make sense about them? You're gonna need to elaborate, because stating they don't make sense while not explaining why isn't getting getting it done.

They were in warcraft 3, have been in wow since vanilla, and have been featured more and more in recent expansions. Gazlowe works just fine in Hots. LoL also has a ton of champs that could pass up as tinkers, Rumble, Heimerdinger, Ziggs, Viktor, Orianna. What about that "fantasy" doesn't make sense? You're saying a mage shooting fireballs from his hands and turning people into sheep makes sense, but using a mech suit and gadgets which are very much a thing in Warcraft doesn't make sense?

Now we need this helmet in game for Humans, to start Goblinhunt.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    In what world is the word "Tinker" considered a slur? O.o Genuinely interested as to why, as well.
    Got curious myself... seems like it's a slur for lower class people or travelling tinsmiths from either Ireland or romani in Britain, Scotland and Ireland.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Got curious myself... seems like it's a slur for lower class people or travelling tinsmiths from either Ireland or romani in Britain, Scotland and Ireland.
    Yeh, I wikipedia'd it too...apparently it's cause they used to be travelling repairers? Which...is weird...why would you look down on someone who's job is to REPAIR things? Like, that's one of the most useful professions in any community. Nothing wrong with being a handy-man/repair-person, it's an honourable job that brings a smile to people's faces. The moment a client finds out they don't need to change their whole fucking door and can simply replace the bolts & screws, is a good moment. Really, really weird how the colloquial term for "Engineer" (Tinker) is considered a slur.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    It sounds ridiculous. The fantasy of all the classes make sense, except for tinkers, and if I’m being completely honest we need another caster class first. They’ve introduced 3 melee classes since WoW began, and I’d like them to introduce another magical caster class to balance it out. Every time someone brings up tinker all I see in my head is robots and guns. It’s a boring concept.
    it actually only makes sense with the continued technology evolution that has been happening over the past few expansions.
    mechgnomes alone and ALL the mechanical everything easily lead into an advanced engineer spec.
    that and we need another ranged class and another healer class imo. and it would be perfect for all 3 specs.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Blizzard has only introduced classes that have made sense to the expansion. Death Knights were not introduced in a Naga themed expansion for example. So the expansion has to make sense to add Tinker as a class meaning it is tied somehow to the them and honestly ever theme people propose either doesn't fit OR seems incredible boring to me. So I don't hate Tinker, I just do not feel they can be implemented without a boring expansion or feeling out of place with the expansion.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Because we have a thread here everyday about it. Its mindnumbing.

Besides that the idea of the class takes away from the concept of the Engineer as profession, which, at its core, is the exact reason it will never happen.

For me a tinker is not high fantasy therefore i do not like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Koloss View Post
    The hate is not against the Tinker class mainly. It's against the people who think there will be a Tinker class.
    Yet I've never seen (anecdotal evidence, I know) Tinker proponent being toxic, or even pushing the idea into people faces (unlike *cough* High Elf fans)
    My assumption is that there were one or two rabid Tinker posts, and that echo-chambered itself to the conclusion "Tinker fan = toxic".

If you want to read a positive portrayal of that trope, read The Name of the Wind.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    In what world is the word "Tinker" considered a slur? O.o Genuinely interested as to why, as well.
    With regard to socttish/irish travellers, aka gypsies.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/tinker

COUNTABLE NOUN
    Some people refer to any traveller or gipsy, especially one who is Irish, as a tinker.
    [British, offensive]

Although it was more the word "Tinks" that was used where I lived. It's still pretty much calling us the N word. That's how we view it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what it used to be used for, but it was still considered offensive and not something you'd say to their faces. Despite the family from Grandmother down having settled in the area, we were still refered to as such. Although not many were ever brave enough to say it to our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    With regard to socttish/irish travellers, aka gypsies.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/tinker

COUNTABLE NOUN
    Some people refer to any traveller or gipsy, especially one who is Irish, as a tinker.
    [British, offensive]

Although it was more the word "Tinks" that was used where I lived. It's still pretty much calling us the N word. That's how we view it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what it used to be used for, but it was still considered offensive and not something you'd say to their faces. Despite the family from Grandmother down having settled in the area, we were still refered to as such. Although not many were ever brave enough to say it to our faces.
    Read my post above. How is being a repair-man considered derogatory and offensive when...it's an honourable job that every community needs? I mean, they're called "Handy-men" for a reason. Cause they're handy. They're useful. They're needed. Repairs are always needed in a household. I get that SOME people might try & use it as an offensive term...but it isn't. Joke's on them, for thinking a decent, honourable job is something to look down upon. That's how I see it, at least.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Read my post above. How is being a repair-man considered derogatory and offensive when...it's an honourable job that every community needs? I mean, they're called "Handy-men" for a reason. Cause they're handy. They're useful. They're needed. Repairs are always needed in a household. I get that SOME people might try & use it as an offensive term...but it isn't. Joke's on them, for thinking a decent, honourable job is something to look down upon. That's how I see it, at least.
    You seem to lack understanding of a thing called context.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Because it looks too whimsical. We don't need another Monk.

we have the engineering profession, putting in a class for the same concept creates a problematic "which cool stuff goes to the class and which to the profession" dilemma that's only ever going to disappoint
    engineering is the best profession, one of the few that's actually worth levelling these days
    gnomes and goblins are among the most fun races
    mechagon is one of the better zones
    but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, especially when it means spreading it thin

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You seem to lack understanding of a thing called context.
    Oh you're right - I know nothing about racial slurs in the U.K, I live on the diametrically other side of Europe compared to the U.K (Greece). It's as if someone called me "Numbers dude" as an insult cause I'm..well, an Economist, so I work with numbers. Or like calling someone "4-eyes" cause they wear glasses. Just sounds utterly childish and immature, as an insult. Which is why I'm asking WHY it's taken so offensively when in reality the joke's on the people using the word "Tinker" as a derogatory term.

Hell, I've even used it when ANSWERING to some things. "What did you do last Saturday afternoon?" "Not much mate, I was tinkering in my shed, trying to make a new doghouse for my dog".

On Topic: The Engineering profession is way too close to a Tinker class. Make it the first Sub-Class instead - you do a massive, epic Q line with your chosen path (Goblin/Gnomish Engineering) and manage to become SUCH a great Engineer that you can now add augments to your abilities. A Tinker Fire Mage with Max-Goblin Engineering for example adds a Shrapnel Blast to their Fireball spell, so when it lands, it explodes in an 8 yard radius around the target, dealing X bonus dmg to the targets around it (NOT the main target that just got hit by the fireball), and slows them by Y% for Z seconds. That's how I would add Tinker class to the game.
    Last edited by Dalinos; 2020-07-24 at 12:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinkerer kicked my dog.

But really it's like some replies here, there are some far more popular options to introduce that people want.

Seeing how we get a class every other expansion or two, it would be a shame to burn that rare opportunity on something like tinker.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Negro was term used to describe black people until the 1960s (I think?) and now it's considered highly offensive and racist. I'm not going to get into some debate about it to be honest, I'm just saying there are a group of people who really hate that word being used.

But yet again, the word negro can be considered perfectly fine depending where you come from. I know that in Spanish speaking languages, negro simply means black coloured. The word tinker is ment to be used, and most commonly was, in the way you describe it. Just in some parts of both Ireland and Scotland, Romani people really do not like the word at all. I remember my great uncle (dads uncle) got really pissy with me when I said as a young boy "I like to tinker with things to see how they work". I didn't know at the time what that word ment to Romani people, and my dad had to tell me what it ment for us.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is some words have different meanings to different groups. I may have come accross defensive, which I'm not, I give no shits either way. I just know from personal experiance that it really annoys Romani people where I live when that word is used.

Just as a side note, saying "oh X is a tink" can also mean the person is unwashed and a dirty person, being insulting towards them. So there is that as well.

1) It's a fan made concept, not something that's come from Blizzard (yes, I played the hero extensively on the ladder in wc3, doesn't mean it's a Canon class in wow). Fan made concepts always suck. No, always.

2) The game does not need or warrant another new class. It can't support or balance what we have already. We've had new classes every other expansion. They are breaking that pattern in Shadowlands. That is telling.

3) If we had to add new classes anyway, there are a thousand better alternatives than this.

4) There hasn't been a single good argument made for why it has to be this one. Or why it makes sense. Or why there is a need for this class. Or why anything.

5) Gutting a spec identity to move it into a new class has historically been unpopular. DK got chains of ice from Mages, Death Coil from Warlock. Demon Hunter got Metamorphosis. And while Warlocks should never have had it to begin with, the butt-hurt was real.

6) I dislike people for wanting this, and the entitlement they are showing.

7) It's a racial slur. Come on.

This, high elves and the anti-horde propaganda are the memes that need to die.