Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    People hate the idea because they simply don't understand the argument of why a Tinker should be in WoW.

Reason #1: The Tinker shares the same pedigree as other expansion classes (Monks, DKs, and DHs). The Tinker originally was a hero in WC3 just like all the previous expansion class entrants. Currently, the Tinker and the Goblin Alchemist are the only 2 remaining WC3 heroes whose abilities don't exist in the class lineup (and they don't exist in the professions either). So essentially Blizzard has a skeleton of a class just from available WC3 abilities alone.

Reason #2: Goblins, Gnomes, and Mechagnomes have no class that reflects their racial background. When you start one of those three races, you begin in an area surrounded by technology. This works against the immersion of the race, and causes people to only choose these races for irony purposes. This problem is amplified when you look at Mekkatorque, Gazlowe, and Gallywix, the leaders of these races. All three of these characters pilot mechs, and that alongside with the nature of these three races indicates that their use of technology is pretty common.

So let's say you fight against Mekkatorque in BoD and you think him being inside a robot suit is pretty cool and you want to make a Gnome character just like him. What class can you pick? Oh yeah that's right, you have NOTHING to choose from that even remotely matches that concept. If you like BFA style Anduin, you can roll a Paladin. If you like Sylvanas, you can roll a Hunter. If you like Thrall, you can roll a Shaman. If you dig Gnomes and Goblins in mechs (a concept shown over and over among those races since MoP), your SoL.

Reason #3: A Tinker class won't take away from existing class concepts. Necromancers would take abilities from Death Knights. Dark Rangers would take abilities away from Hunters. The Tinker takes abilities away from no one, and despite the common argument here, they wouldn't take away from engineering either. Why? Because other classes that have abilities similar to professions haven't harmed the professions in any way. When Hunters got grenades, no grenades from engineering were removed. When Monks and Rogues got the ability to create potions that they can give to other players, Alchemy still got new potions and elixirs. Tinkers have their OWN abilities from WC3 and HotS, and NONE of those abilities exist in engineering.

Reason #4: It will actually HELP Enigneering. The common argument I see around here is that a Tinker class would take away from Engineering. Nothing could be further from the truth. First and foremost, professions don't compete with classes, they're designed to work alongside classes. So a player who rolled a Tinker can also pick up the engineering profession, and that would just add to their immersion experience. How would engineering benefit from a Tinker class? Simple, a technology based class can give engineering a new class to build stuff for. For example, there could be craftable engineering items that change the appearance of a Tinker's mech, or their summons, sort of like glyphs. They could also make exclusive armor like headgear or weaponry that matches the tinker aesthetic. If Tinkers use guns, that would be another class that engineers can sell guns to.

Speaking of engineering...

Reason #5: A profession isn't a replacement for a class. Engineering isn't designed to replace the Tinker class. This is proven by the fact that none of the Tinker's abilities exist in the profession, and Blizzard has shown that there is a set of Goblins and Gnomes who can take the concept of engineering to an entirely different level that the profession can never reach. For those that say that a hero using engineering as a power makes no sense, consider Iron Man from the Avengers. The Tinker is essentially the medieval version of Iron Man, and the profession is a hobbyist who cobbles stuff together to make trinkets for sale. That's the difference, and that's why saying that the profession covers the Tinker makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    1) It's a fan made concept, not something that's come from Blizzard (yes, I played the hero extensively on the ladder in wc3, doesn't mean it's a Canon class in wow). Fan made concepts always suck. No, always.
    This is pretty laughable reasoning. It isn't a fan made concept. Blizzard themselves created the Tinker concept, and its appeared in multiple formats, including WoW. Pushing that concept into the class arena doesn't make it a fan-made concept either, it's still a Blizzard concept. This is especially true if you're using abilities that Blizzard created.

2) The game does not need or warrant another new class. It can't support or balance what we have already. We've had new classes every other expansion. They are breaking that pattern in Shadowlands. That is telling.

3) If we had to add new classes anyway, there are a thousand better alternatives than this.
    Opinion 1, and Opinion 2.

4) There hasn't been a single good argument made for why it has to be this one. Or why it makes sense. Or why there is a need for this class. Or why anything.

It has the same pedigree as Monks, DKs, and DHs. It doesn't take abilities away from existing classes. We have multiple technology-based races that have no class that reflects their racial lore, etc.

5) Gutting a spec identity to move it into a new class has historically been unpopular. DK got chains of ice from Mages, Death Coil from Warlock. Demon Hunter got Metamorphosis. And while Warlocks should never have had it to begin with, the butt-hurt was real.
    And what spec would the Tinker gut exactly?

6) I dislike people for wanting this, and the entitlement they are showing.
    Opinion 3.

7) It's a racial slur. Come on.
    And it's already in WoW and throughout the Warcraft universe.

In my case it is because WoW is full as far as classes are concerned, Demon hunters proved that not much more can be added without taking things away from other classes (And Blizz didn't even give DHs three specs!), not to mention what the addition of tinkers would do to the engineering profession, there just isn't enough "Design space" to add yet another class to the game.

That and the slow but constant trickle of "I want tinkers!"-threads on pretty much every WoW forum in existence, that put me off the very concept of the class as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    In my case it is because WoW is full as far as classes are concerned, Demon hunters proved that not much more can be added without taking things away from other classes (And Blizz didn't even give DHs three specs!), not to mention what the addition of tinkers would do to the engineering profession, there just isn't enough "Design space" to add yet another class to the game.

That and the slow but constant trickle of "I want tinkers!"-threads on pretty much every WoW forum in existence, that put me off the very concept of the class as well...
    And the Tinker would take nothing away from existing classes or engineering.

The idea that a CLASS would take away from a PROFESSION is especially a very silly argument. The purpose of a class is to perform class roles like tanking, healing, and DPSing and completing quests. The purpose of a profession is gather materials and craft items for selling to other players or to equip. A class with abilities designed to deal damage to mobs or to heal others will NEVER intersect with a profession using recipes to craft items. Lorewise, a Tinker inside a mech suit tanking a raid has zero effect on an engineer cobbling together scraps to make goggles for the auction house.

What if, instead of a Tinkerer class, we had a new class inspired by D&D's Forge Cleric, of which one of the specs would be Tinkerer? You could have a melee spec dual-wielding mail-wearer centered around summoning weapons, a tanking spec that uses fire damage, molten metal, etc, and then the Tinkerer spec that would use mechanical weapons.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    It sounds ridiculous. The fantasy of all the classes make sense, except for tinkers, and if I’m being completely honest we need another caster class first. They’ve introduced 3 melee classes since WoW began, and I’d like them to introduce another magical caster class to balance it out. Every time someone brings up tinker all I see in my head is robots and guns. It’s a boring concept.
    Easy enough to make a Tinkerer a ranged class. It doesn't have to be an exclusive mech suit class - it could easily encompass a wide range of things.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

cuz Teriz started the whole undead are weak to tinkers bs with azerite powered mechs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    So yeah, what I'm trying to say is some words have different meanings to different groups. I may have come accross defensive, which I'm not, I give no shits either way. I just know from personal experiance that it really annoys Romani people where I live when that word is used.
    I think the venn diagram of people offended by tinker and that play WoW is about as far apart as saggy tits in the arm pit. They probably don't like it because when a Romani tinkers, your car is left on bricks.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Boring idea, too used, nothing new and feels like it ends up to be too close to what we already have = Press this to do dmg/healing x amount.

What I'd like to see is a class that buffs itself and others constanly and all dmg comes from autoattacks or non-controllable pets that stay alive/up only for a moment. Point is to keep different buffs on and change them during combat while buffing other party members too. Enhance is quite close this but still focuses on pressing most boring skill in game = stormstrike.
    Demonology feels little bit like a "buff" class because majority of dmg comes from the pets doing the work. Specially back in legion where you could buff your pets and dps cycle was about making your pets huge and scary.

Tinkerer just feels like same old with glizhe theme. We already have Survival hunter that uses gadgets and you can add engineering prof to that to feel more like tinkerer.

I very much dislike the tinker theme and the whole over-techy mecha stuff involving psychopath over-caffeinated Gnomes. Obviously I won't be playing one but good for those who like it and will.

My problem is that it will mean we get Tinker instead of another class after two expansions without new classes.

I would instead prefer to see something deeper rooted in high fantasy such as:

- Battlemage/Spell Breaker with dps and tank specs, why not a time mage healing spec.

- Necromancer with dps/healing specs that uses dark magic to melt enemies and imbue allies.

- Dragon Knight with tank/dps/healing specs inspired by the different aspects

Another reason I dislike the Tinker is that classes are always strongly tied to the expansion theme, therefore it would mean that expansion will have strong mecha theme which I so dislike. Other people playing the class doesn't matter to me, but having an expansion revolving around that does.

The "compromise" for me to have Tinker is if it comes along another class(es) such as any of the above, not at the expense of them, and for the expansion theme to not be tied around psychopath over-caffeinated Gnomes.

Well, most human beings are selfish and self centered and cannot cope when something isn't specifically for them.
    Tinker is the last of the warcraft 3 heroes with a unique theme that hasn't been added to the game yet.

It seems to be the most desireable new class from polls as well. So, i am sure something of the sort will be added eventually.

Ignore the haters. It's what i tend to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Because we've had that topic a gazillion times, and yet, there are two new threads every day. It's mind numbing.
    This.

I'm neither for or against Tinker. I suppose if it's done well, I'd be okay with it. But I swear to god, we get like two new threads every day on the subject.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    cuz Teriz started the whole undead are weak to tinkers bs with azerite powered mechs.
    Of course, and your personal feud on mmo champ is what should dictate game design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This.

I'm neither for or against Tinker. I suppose if it's done well, I'd be okay with it. But I swear to god, we get like two new threads every day on the subject.
    LoL! No we don't. There's been one Tinker thread floating on this forum for a few weeks. We had some spammer who got banned for spamming his Tinker/Necromancer threads, and this one popped up today.

Four Tinker threads in a month is hardly "2 Tinker threads a day".

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Of course, and your personal feud on mmo champ is what should dictate game design.
    And the fans lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This.

I mean... it's cause people want them isn't it? It's the haters making those threads annoying, imo.
    We could be talking about skills or play style and instead we have to suffer weak ass lore arguments and personal incredulity arguments cause a few people want to yell louder than the majority of the community. That's what makes them annoying.

New classes aren't needed. The game is unbalanced as fuck with what we have. Every niche is filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    A vast majority no doubt loathe the idea, but not everyone. I'm in the latter. Tinkerer, Machinist, Engineer - call it what you will. It could be a fantastic addition to WoW.

That being said, it would have to be done right. One slip up and the fickle mob, aka the community, would have a fit. Monks fitted MoP because of the Pandaren culture, and Demon Hunters fitted Legion because it came time to fight fire with fire. Depending on what happens after Shadowlands, that could be the time to introduce a new class.

But only time will tell. And HE is watching from beyond the veil. Damaged, but rebuilding.
    Could work in a Titan-themed expansion. Work in some Titan magic or knowledge to some pre-existing tinker/alchemy stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    New classes aren't needed. The game is unbalanced as fuck with what we have. Every niche is filled.
    Not the technology niche. We have three races that are heavily based in technology, and no class fits their theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    And the fans lmao
    Sure, of course. The world revolves around you. Lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    The game will NEVER be balanced. Cmon people, it's been 15 years, it's past time this sinks in. Stop using that as an excuse to not add new content.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-07-24 at 02:14 PM.