Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I kinda wish every expansion had a mage tower.

Anyone else? It was a fun little skill tester that gave out a really prized and coveted reward.

I know the new torghast is kinda sorta like that if you squint but I would love to see a more balanced challenge be put in.

Yes I agree with you. The skill testers are always fun.

I confess i did enjoy it quite a lot.

But, it is also clear it took a lot of resources to get those fights just right.

I guess visions and torghast are the sucessors of the mage tower system. Just... the reward system doesn't feel as good.
    I would like for there to be a cool skin or gear set when say, you solo a 5 mask vision. Not as cool as an epic boss fight expertly tailored for your spec, but closer to it with less resources required.

Yeah, why aren't all expansions just Legion? Why doesn't Blizzard just re-release Legion again? DAE think Legion is a good expansion?

I remember how many people very much didn't like the MT when it was current content - it only became a blast success when the majority went in there with freebee Antorus gear and crushed the content without knowing what'S going on.

I expect Torghast to be very similar to this. Some sweet mog that's gonna be tough as fuck to acquire during tier#1, everyone throwing a tantrum because it's fine to lock cosmetics behind a meaningful choice but not behind a skill wall, and then 6 months later everyone will just rofl their way to Torghast level 127 while all the special rewards stopped at level 50.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conceptually I like them, but it would be nice if they were designed as more evergreen content. Either design new challenges with each expansion and use the rewards in an ever-growing pool so players always have a reason to push for them without the FOMO BS, or update them expansion to expansion to maintain the challenge. My biggest issue with these systems has always been that they're completely abandoned at the end of the expansion and Blizz relies on FOMO to get asses in seats, metaphorically-speaking.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'd like it too. It - along with the gold farm from mission tables - gave me a good reason to level up a stable of alts and generally gear them up. I also liked how it was self-nerfing since it came out in the early-mid part of the expansion so you could show off if you got it done fast but it was still there for folks once they got LFR geared from the last raid and could just have fun roflstomping it.

I wish every expansion had a Wintergrasp.

C'est la vie.

I have to agree with you. It was one of my favorite features of Legion.

I mean Visions could have been that, but the highest difficulty ended up being way too easy

I loved the mage tower; I made it my project to get all of the base appearances from there. It was fun, frustrating, and probably my best in-game accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    I mean Visions could have been that, but the highest difficulty ended up being way too easy
    To be fair, visions are meant to be repeatable, and one vision run generally takes a lot longer than a mage tower fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I wish every expansion had a Wintergrasp.
    My brain thought "Winterspring" not "Wintergrasp" and I was very confused for a moment.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    I remember how many people very much didn't like the MT when it was current content - it only became a blast success when the majority went in there with freebee Antorus gear and crushed the content without knowing what'S going on.

I expect Torghast to be very similar to this. Some sweet mog that's gonna be tough as fuck to acquire during tier#1, everyone throwing a tantrum because it's fine to lock cosmetics behind a meaningful choice but not behind a skill wall, and then 6 months later everyone will just rofl their way to Torghast level 127 while all the special rewards stopped at level 50.
    While I don't disagree that gear made it far easier, the amount of challenges that fell to the point that you could literally not know what was going on is actually rather small.

Off the top of my head, all I could consider in that field is Feral Druid's challenge. Windwalker monk maybe another one that's close.

The healing/tanking challenges just got easier with gear, but you still could easily wipe by screwing up one thing. Some of the DPS challenges were similar too, like the God Queen's fury one. I struggled doing it as ret when it first launched, and while I did complete it far easier on my enhancement shaman with more gear obviously, there was still mechanics that you needed to pay attention to.

I loved the challenged. I did all dps challenges and some of the tank ones when they were current content. It would've been great if they had an ilvl cap so they remained a challenge the rest of the expansion. And it would had also been great if we could repeat them after completing them, just for the fun of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    While I don't disagree that gear made it far easier, the amount of challenges that fell to the point that you could literally not know what was going on is actually rather small.

Off the top of my head, all I could consider in that field is Feral Druid's challenge. Windwalker monk maybe another one that's close.

The healing/tanking challenges just got easier with gear, but you still could easily wipe by screwing up one thing. Some of the DPS challenges were similar too, like the God Queen's fury one. I struggled doing it as ret when it first launched, and while I did complete it far easier on my enhancement shaman with more gear obviously, there was still mechanics that you needed to pay attention to.
    Allow me to assist: Disc "challenge". Went there to try it after finally getting shadow, and especially holy challenge done (took me longest), didn't know tactics, no legendaries for it, and yet, I one shot it. Yeah, got hit by the mechanics, it didn't matter. Nothing mattered. I wiped so many times in holy challenge for miniscule mistakes, it wasn't even funny as a comparison. It was a joke. After the fight I noticed I hadn't even used any of my consumables/drums, something I used on each try of the other two.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2020-07-26 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    Anyone else? It was a fun little skill tester that gave out a really prized and coveted reward.

I know the new torghast is kinda sorta like that if you squint but I would love to see a more balanced challenge be put in.
    I am still surprised that blizz simply removed the original mage tower challenges. They could've kept them forever IMO and just scaled them up to 120. Of course they wouldn't be as balanced or as hard as they expected them to be, but all of them were fairly easy at the end of Legion already and most of the difficult mechanics were related with dodging stuff.

i like this.this,or new legendary class weapons skins every exp

Personally I had a deep distaste for the mage tower.

For some specs it was ez and then for some it was ridiculously hard. It was not fun. I guess it was fun for the people who like challenges, but not everyone likes that sort of thing. Honestly only time I was happy regarding mage tower was when I got it done with all specs I wanted it.

It was not happiness of being able to complete it. It was happiness that I would not have to step in there again.

Only people that didn't like mage tower were LFR heroes that weren't able to afk through it with their leveling gear.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yeah, why aren't all expansions just Legion? Why doesn't Blizzard just re-release Legion again? DAE think Legion is a good expansion?
    Legion was a good expansion in terms of content, but dreadful in terms of systems and class design. I don't consider it good. It was the first time i burned out of WoW cause of that terrible AP crap.

But, the class theme and all the cosmetics associated with the artifact weapons were good content that gives meaning to running the content to this day.

I think torghast will be a vastly different experience due to how much rng plays into it. Some runs are mindlessly simply if you get good stacking buff and others im not actually sure are able to be completed with terrible rng.

It will be a test of skill but there is a lot of luck involved with torghast

I think "crushed" the content is a gross exageration. All gear did was allowing you to finish the encounter faster, but all the mechanics would still one shot you. At laumch some of the challenges, in particular the tank one was unbeatable without better gear to make the dps timer.
    You needed to know what you were doing. No one facerolled them.