Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    All of wrath starter dungeons were face roll though baring occulus and halls of lightning pre nerf...
    Difficulty wasn't the problem in Wotlk, the problem was that even hardcore raiders were incentized to do LFD dungeons, who obviously wanted to speed through these dungeons as fast as possible.

Once ended up on my fresh 80 tank alongside a 25man geared Resto Shaman who basically wanted to do the whole dungeon with ever stopping.
    Not that i did mind that, but someone who was just getting familiar with the endgame and the tanking role would have seriously struggled in that situation.

That's just the problem, you can't put a veteran who wants to complete a piece of content as fast as possible next to a new player and expect it will work without any issues.
    Or not even a new player, just someone who is looking for a "chill run".

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Difficulty wasn't the problem in Wotlk, the problem was that even hardcore raiders were incentized to do LFD dungeons, who obviously wanted to speed through these dungeons as fast as possible.

Once ended up on my fresh 80 tank alongside a 25man geared Resto Shaman who basically wanted to do the whole dungeon with ever stopping.
    Not that i did mind that, but someone who was just getting familiar with the endgame and the tanking role would have seriously struggled in that situation.

That's just the problem, you can't put a veteran who wants to complete a piece of content as fast as possible next to a new player and expect it will work without any issues.
    Or not even a new player, just someone who is looking for a "chill run".
    That is the trap with keeping all content relevant. If I need to do X dungeons every week to fill out my Valor Badge cap then I want to get it over with as soon as possible.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    That is the trap with keeping all content relevant. If I need to do X dungeons every week to fill out my Valor Badge cap then I want to get it over with as soon as possible.
    I do agree getting rid of tiers of content has been a disaster. I would argue three modes of difficulty is a bit to much as well. Normal/heroic kind of feels like they should be merged.

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    I do agree getting rid of tiers of content has been a disaster. I would argue three modes of difficulty is a bit to much as well. Normal/heroic kind of feels like they should be merged.
    I don't know how many people there are for who Normal is good but Heroic is to hard, Blizzard likely has an idea of those numbers and so long as there are enough for who this is true I have little problem with keeping Normal around. But if that group doesn't exist then sure, get rid of it.

Whenever you wonder if something isn't to easy you should think of the average scrub player, and then realise half of them are worse.

Wouldn't be such a huge problem when you don't add automated queueing systems into the mix.

Want to do it fast? Add something like *quickrun* *rush* to the title, people who don't want that won't join.
    Want to take your time? Add something like *chillrun* to it, people who don't want that won't join.

Back in TBC, people also did some fast runs through Karazhan after 2.4, you just didn't invite people who didn't have the gear or lacked the experience.

Wouldn't be such a huge problem when you don't add automated queueing systems into the mix.

Want to do it fast? Add something like *quickrun* *rush* to the title, people who don't want that won't join.
    Want to take your time? Add something like *chillrun* to it, people who don't want that won't join.

Back in TBC, people also did some fast runs through Karazhan after 2.4, you just didn't invite people who didn't have the gear or lacked the experience.
    I'll take the occasional run with someone who isn't ready to rush vs sitting in a city for 30min spamming LFHealer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why PVE isn't cross faction yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Why PVE isn't cross faction yet?
    Because 'Faction conflict' is a lifeline for the devs whenever they run out of story idea's. Which they have done in the last 4 expansions.

I'll take the occasional run with someone who isn't ready to rush vs sitting in a city for 30min spamming LFHealer.
    By that logic, you're currently limited yourself to Heroic dungeons.

I am right in that assumption?
    I said it above: Groupfinder would have been the better solution than LFD.

By that logic, you're currently limited yourself to Heroic dungeons.

I am right in that assumption?
    I said it above: Groupfinder would have been the better solution than LFD.
    I Havn't played since the end of Uldir, but back then I did a weekly +15 with my guild in a pretty fixed group so there was no need to fish around.

Mythic+ actually has some difficulty and benefits from having players form group rather then automating it.
    This does not apply to Heroic and Normal dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    You can't sit here and claim that we're not past the point of redemption, when the vast majority of the entire European WoW population is spread over a couple of megaservers like Draenor, Twisting Nether, Kazzak and Tarren Mill, with A LOT of realms being abandoned, dead wastelands like Talnivarr, and having been that way for many many years. I'm sure it's the same way for the other regions aswell.
    I've said this repeatedly throughout this thread: Realm populations on these dead/dying servers increases dramatically at the beginning of expansions. Players who return only for the beginning of an expansion represent a large portion of WoW's potential playerbase. Blizzard does not want to negatively impact the experience of returning players because even if they only stay subscribed for two to three months after the launch of an expansion that's a metric fuckton of potential income they're throwing away. I'm 100% positive Blizzard understands the negative experience of being on a dead/dying realm and it sure would be nice if the game could simply go back to the consistent popularity levels it had in WotLK/Cata before this was an issue. But since that isn't likely to happen any time soon, Blizzard has chosen to use stop-gap measures like Connected Realms to put off the inevitability of megaservers as long as possible.

Now, if you want to be a cynical douchebag and insist that Blizzard does this not because of the importance of returning players but rather because they hate their playerbase and want nothing more than to rub their nipples while twirling their cartoonishly evil mustaches and telling you to pony up a server transfer or quit the fucking game you'll surely find plenty of support for this line of thinking on this forum. Personally, I just don't find this take to be particularly compelling because it ignores the crux of the unique problem WoW has when compared to other MMOs and paints Blizzard in a light that they're reluctant to implement an extremely obvious solution out of pure spite for the people who pay to play their video game.

I don't know how many people there are for who Normal is good but Heroic is to hard, Blizzard likely has an idea of those numbers and so long as there are enough for who this is true I have little problem with keeping Normal around. But if that group doesn't exist then sure, get rid of it.

Whenever you wonder if something isn't to easy you should think of the average scrub player, and then realise half of them are worse.
    I find that unpleasant to think about and so choose not to. In my mind I know z'noth lfr is monster that destroys groups but I prefer to imagine that they just troll each other.

Bigger problem is actually ID lockout.

I mean, you'd basically bury the last bastion where the concept of a "guild" actually matters.
    If that's the case, then there's really no other reason not to allow x-realm raiding from the start, since there really is no other reason to even have guilds anymore. Communities are better, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Bigger problem is actually ID lockout.
    They can't change the way Raid ID lockouts work without inadvertently incentivising Mythic split raids and the like. I highly doubt they're interested in changing this any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    They can't change the way Raid ID lockouts work without inadvertently incentivising Mythic split raids and the like. I highly doubt they're interested in changing this any time soon.
    I can't see how that would change anything from now.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a stretch.

Especially in the light of the fact that a few months earlier Mike Morhaime said a similiar thing, that one of the mistakes they made was to favour accessability over tools that rewarded people for playing with the same people (=socializing).
    What? It's a stretch to say that a statement made without the benefit 10 years of experiencing such a system being gone might be partially/mostly uneducated/wishful thinking? You can agree with them if you'd like, but it's really easy to look back and say "It should never have been" when they have no clue as to where the game would be in a world that lacks said system. If they hadn't built the system (Funny enough I think it was copied from some other MMO at the time, Warhamer maybe?) some one else would have, and it would have become mainstream through them, and you would have ended up with it anyways.

As for people overall? The people who wanted to be socializing already where running things in guild groups. The rest of us where siting in /2 to run the dungeon or raid we needed for the day/week, and didn't give a dam about the bozos we invited along the way (unless they stood out in /P, /R, or Vent which still happens with LFG/LFR) as long as they did what they needed to do. LFG/LFR didn't change that it just stopped wasting our time.

Preferable to being dropped into a with four random people that have vastly different expectations towards the game and skill levels.

Remember how much of a shitshow it was during Wotlk when you had new players grouped up with people that just want to blast through a heroic <15 min?
    Fun times.

Or even Cata heroic, where some people simply were not good enough to actually complete heroics because you were just randomnly dropped with some people, then had to hope (if the people who couldn't measure up left or got kicked) the new guy actually was competent?

Like, they could've used the group finder that we have now, which is by the way the way to go nowadays, because the rewards from automated queueing systems such as LFD or LFR aren't worth a lot anymore in the grand scheme of things.
    To you maybe, to others you are advocating for the wasting of 1-4 peoples time looking for one rando who may and or may not even be on to run it with you at that time, and who can still fall into all the same failings that you listed above, but now you really have to stick with him because if you don't that's another 10-30 min wasted... Don't like a specific LFG groups play style? Well before the debuff, you just dropped as soon as you wanted. You requed, they got a replacement, everyone is happy, after the debuff you had to power down the first boss which usually takes what 4-5 min? Before the tool we still had people dropping for silly small things but that had a real chance at crashing groups, and even if it didn't you still lost oodles of time.

Did some groups abuse the System? yes. How about the old one? also yes.

Best of all, the ability to run heroics normally is was left in the game for toughs who really wanted the old system, In addition, like you said we DO have the group finder tools now (we had it back then actually) if you don't like the LFG/LFR tool you can completely ignore it and let toughs who do like it use it. But I know that's not good enough for people like you who tend to demand that everyone be forced to play your way, and ONLY your way...

Other mainstreams MMO's copied WoW, that doesn't automatically mean it was a success.
    It most certainly points to it being a good system, if it was bad other mmo's would have dropped the thing after it so clearly ruined their games. But no, turns out not only do they keep it, but some even expand on it making it streamlined to auto group randos for that short little quest that needs 3 people that you want to do, but no one on your realm/Seed/Shard/server/whatever dose.

How many MMO's are there now who purposefully omit, that system and don't end up getting lambasted for it being for being behind the times? you can put as much value in a community as you want, not everyone dose the same. If more people wanted that community then they would have stuck to the old system, but they didn't did they? No matter how much you try to force people together you can not make everyone friends.

I sure do love anecdotal evidence.
    Anecdotal yes, but are you really going to make the bold claim that my experience is some kind of freak outlier? And that almost nobody has found at least a couple of people who they have had fun with and added from LFG/LFR over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    They shouldn't be catering to that slice of playerbase that does split runs anyways.
    And if they really wanted to prohibit splitruns they should have just made mythic raid loot account wide for first 1-2 months and done.

Because at this point it doesn't do anything for world first guilds but hinders all the rest of players.

Better yet, get the fuck out with "world first race" to some isolated test realm with static/same gear available so top guilds could "race" there.

Could just ask why they dont combine all servers in retail into Mega-Servers.

aka NA-PVP, NA-PVE, NA-RPPVP, NA-RPPVE, OCE-PVP, OCE-PVE, EU-PVP, EU-PVE, EU-RPPVP, EU-RPPVE,

would cut down the amount of servers to maintain, would allow them to commit more time to making sure the servers are better.

at current they have around 60ish servers, with half of them dead on one faction or more.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    Could just ask why they dont combine all servers in retail into Mega-Servers.

aka NA-PVP, NA-PVE, NA-RPPVP, NA-RPPVE, OCE-PVP, OCE-PVE, EU-PVP, EU-PVE, EU-RPPVP, EU-RPPVE,

would cut down the amount of servers to maintain, would allow them to commit more time to making sure the servers are better.

at current they have around 60ish servers, with half of them dead on one faction or more.
    AH is the problem, still.
    Sharding and instances are pretty much non-issue now but there are tons of servers that AH lags like crazy.

And it doesn't makes sense to divide by pvp anymore