Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Here's a video of someone main tanking Mythic Argus as a BRM Monk back in Legion. If people can play fine on such a high level, then don't worry about WoW being unplayable (or that you're gimping yourself) in endgame content lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Controllers are often preferable to mouse + keyboard for people who have mobility issues or ailments like moderate to severe Arthritis. My general rule of thumb is that so long as a person's performance is acceptable for their given gear and experience then I don't really make an issue about how they choose to play the game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Yeah but the aim assist isn't an unfair advantage, it's just a compensation for using the controller. You still have to aim quickly, just not as precisely.

WoW is a much slower game and doesn't need anything like that to work well.
    If aim assist is not an advantage, why are do many pro players switching to it as soon as it becomes available? (E.g. in Valorant)
    For crossplay aim assist always is a big advantage and for singleplayer its easy mode.

Here's a video of someone main tanking Mythic Argus as a BRM Monk back in Legion. If people can play fine on such a high level, then don't worry about WoW being unplayable (or that you're gimping yourself) in endgame content lol.
    1) Tanking is the easiest role to apply a controller to (not as much to avoid, less target swapping, less pressure on DPS performance).
    2) Raiding is the easiest content to apply a controller to (much less target swapping, much less sudden movement).

It isn't raid tanking that controller design will impact the most, it's PvP, healing, and M+, where precision and speed is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    1) Tanking is the easiest role to apply a controller to (not as much to avoid, less target swapping, less pressure on DPS performance).
    2) Raiding is the easiest content to apply a controller to (much less target swapping, much less sudden movement).

It isn't raid tanking that controller design will impact the most, it's PvP, healing, and M+, where precision and speed is required.
    I've already talked about how healing is super easy and conformtable on a controller as well >.<

I've personally been healing +15 keys.

Here's an example of someone healing a +18 keys (I hope I really don't need to post videos here anymore to prove the same points over and over):

Also precision and speed? Like what the fuck are you talking about, WoW is a target based game and even as a monk where using stuff like Chi Burst is super easy. Speed? srsly?!

I know that most WoW players don't have consoles and/or have never played with a controller, but come on.

EDIT: And here's another video of the some other guy raid healing, just in case someone AGAIN tells me that you can heal dungeons, but not raids then:

EDIT2: Here's the first result on youtube by searching "wow console port arena"

2.6k priest in 2v2, enjoy:

Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-07-29 at 02:28 PM.

I've already talked about how healing is super easy and conformtable on a controller as well >.<

I've personally been healing +15 keys.

Here's an example of someone healing a +18 keys (I hope I really don't need to post videos here anymore to prove the same points over and over):

Also precision and speed? Like what the fuck are you talking about, WoW is a target based game and even as a monk where using stuff like Chi Burst is super easy. Speed? srsly?!

I know that most WoW players don't have consoles and/or have never played with a controller, but come on.

EDIT: And here's another video of the same guy raid healing, just in case someone AGAIN tells me that you can heal dungeons, but not raids then:
    First of all: I've never said it isn't possible. I'm saying controllers are worse for control than KBM. If the game is to be released on consoles, Blizzard would have to make the game just as easy to play on a controller as on KBM. That isn't currently the case. Are you arguing against that?

Because if you are: a guy posted a video of him soloing a +17, so healing +18 is hardly an argument for controllers being equal. Healing a heroic raid boss on farm isn't either. You can clearly see how much slower the guy in the video is because of the controller.

And yes, speed. Have you ever played PvP? Chi Burst? How much of a low level player must you be to think that Chi Burst is the height of speed requirement in WoW?

If you're not arguing that controllers are equal to KBM but 'possible' to play with: cool, I agree. The only thing I care about is Blizzard simplifying the game further to work equally well with a controller setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Arguing against people using whatever suits them to play is like saying you can't win unless others are inconvenienced.

I play other games where people use controllers etc never felt like they have an advantage. I say its better for the game if players play better so let them play as they like.
    That's because they never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    First of all: I've never said it isn't possible. I'm saying controllers are worse for control than KBM. If the game is to be released on consoles, Blizzard would have to make the game just as easy to play on a controller as on KBM. That isn't currently the case. Are you arguing against that?

Because if you are: a guy posted a video of him soloing a +17, so healing +18 is hardly an argument for controllers being equal. Healing a heroic raid boss on farm isn't either. You can clearly see how much slower the guy in the video is because of the controller.

And yes, speed. Have you ever played PvP? Chi Burst? How much of a low level player must you be to think that Chi Burst is the height of speed requirement in WoW?

If you're not arguing that controllers are equal to KBM but 'possible' to play with: cool, I agree. The only thing I care about is Blizzard simplifying the game further to work equally well with a controller setup.
    Chi Burst was about precision, since it's an example of a spell where you have to kinda aim.

Your whole speed argument is nonsensical, especially in WoW and especially when we're talking about controllers...

The point is that controllers are very well capable of doing ANY content in the game very well and not just being "playable". They are even good for progression raiding. It is clear that you have never actually looked at this topic and yet you already seem to know that playing WoW on a keyboard has a clear advantage over controllers, which is just nonsense.

There are tons of videos on youtube with people from ALL skills levels (ironically most of them are on a very high level) tanking, healing, range and melee dpsing in all kinds of situations and performing very well. I am sure most of the other people playing with them don't even notice they're playing with a controller.

All in all: Your argument is invalid, since you have simply no idea what you're talking about (didn't even spend 5sec looking into any of this stuff). There's nothing else to say, bye.

Chi Burst was about precision, since it's an example of a spell where you have to kinda aim.

Your whole speed argument is nonsensical, especially in WoW and especially when we're talking about controllers...

The point is that controllers are very well capable of doing ANY content in the game very well and not just being "playable". They are even good for progression raiding. It is clear that you have never actually looked at this topic and yet you already seem to know that playing WoW on a keyboard has a clear advantage over controllers, which is just nonsense.

There are tons of videos on youtube with people from ALL skills levels (ironically most of them are on a very high level) tanking, healing, range and melee dpsing in all kinds of situations and performing very well. I am sure most of the other people playing with them don't even notice they're playing with a controller.

All in all: Your argument is invalid, since you have simply no idea what you're talking about (didn't even spend 5sec looking into any of this stuff). There's nothing else to say, bye.
    So you are actually arguing for the nonsensical. You're implying that controlling a cursor with a joystick is just as fast as doing it with a mouse. Good lord. It should be instantly obvious what advantage KBM has (precision and speed of mouse), while there's no advantage at all for controllers.

Anyway, since Blizzard doesn't seem to be as naive as you are (WoW isn't on consoles already for a reason), we don't really have an issue.

If you want to prove a point, show me a high level M+ key (27+) or high rated PvP (2600+) done with a controller. If you can, I'll admit I'm wrong.

As long as you perform adequately to the level of content you're trying to do, nobody will give a fuck if you use a controller, a turbo gaming dildo or m+k to play the game. You put yourself at a disvantage by using anything other than M+K, so if you underperform because of that, you get kicked and replaced, as simple as that. It's up to the group leader.

As for the "controllers are equally good" argument, they are not, argument is over. Some people actually had the audacity to argue that in games like Call of Duty, so basically console shooters, a pad is better than M+K but no, that's not right and never will be. Even with console aim assist (basically slow-aim, a noticeable sensitivity drop when aiming over a player model) you will never be as good as an equally skilled m+k player.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    What difference does it make to his point if he was or wasnt a hall of fame player?
    A very big one. If he's not a cutting edge raider or bleeding edge rated PvPer, his opinion on class difficulty is borderline worthless because if he can't perform on a level of at least 90%+ percentiles in mythic content, he can't even say he knows how to properly play his class and use it's entire toolkit in a raid/pvp setting, let alone judge if it's easy or not. How can a shitter judge the difficulty of a class if he's... a shitter?

Granted the difficulty of mastering a class has gone a bit down since Mists of Pandaria, but it's still not caveman easy. There's plenty, and I mean plenty of people that are parsing grey or green on Heroic, which to me is laughable considering how Heroic is basically a stripped down version of the real encounter, especially when they claim that WoW is braindead mode at the moment. If it is so easy, why are they parsing so bad? Can't blame trash percentiles on bad RNG.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2020-07-29 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    I really can't understand ...
    Do you target using Shift?
    I target using the red button (or button B) of the xbox controller.
    I'm pretty sure that everything you do using the mouse and keyboard I do using the xbox controller ... but I do it much faster.
    Including PVP. I rotate 180 degrees as fast or faster than anyone using a mouse ...
    People first need to try playing with a controller and then judge it.
    Someone like me, i tried using controller on ffxiv for 3 solid months and wow for a week before i couldnt take it anymore. Every time i used it i just wanted to use m&k. I even bought the back attachment for my ps4 controller and that still didnt really help. For me, its slow at targeting and turning. In terms of targeting, i only use tab targeting on 1 or 2 targets. Anymore and i click, usually ill click everytime. And the stick turning is way slower and more imprecise than just using a mouse, where i can turn 180° in less than 100ms. Leap of Faith in the Gold Saucer taught me that. I eventually got it down but man, i had more failures with with controller than mouse. I also tried targeting with gyro, while better than vanilla and its almost mouselike, its super uncomfortable.

I dont really care about if you use m&k or controller. What it really comes down to is if you suck. If you’re better with controller, go ahead. M&k, same as prior.
    Last edited by Usernameforforums; 2020-07-29 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    One question I have always wondered about using a controller.

Target switching.

Melee, its probably not that big of a deal, tanking, maybe a little more, but how in the hell would you play a healer and play with a controller??
    That's actually quite easy, and a lot of us already use it: TAB

There are two modes of it available in the game today:
    1) You hit TAB repeatedly to switch target to whichever you want
    2) You hold TAB down and nameplates will highlight. When you release, the highlighted one will be selected.

I mean we have ConsolePort. We have solved it. It works. WoW is playable on a controller - and the only reason it originally wasn't was just because people hadn't built it. It could always work.

This isn't an RTS, which is a genre that is actually terrible on console (don't believe me? Try playing StarCraft64 - if you can). This is a co-op 3rd persion action game. Consoles are and have always been great at that.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Wow has been on a path to console release for years.

They’ve stripped abilities, dumbed the game down to the point a caveman can succeed in it, and recently added controller support

All roads lead to console
    --- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-07-30 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Removed Meme Video

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that everything you do using the mouse and keyboard I do using the xbox controller ... but I do it much faster.
    Including PVP. I rotate 180 degrees as fast or faster than anyone using a mouse ...
    you live in a fantasy land if you think any of these statements are true. Either that or youre just as full of shit as you sound

Vast majority would be fine with using controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZaer View Post
    Probably with some form hold button to heal person and press ABXY to use spell whatever, so defaults to you, L1 could be tank, L2/R1/R2 are the DPS.
    And what about the other 15 if you would be stupid enough to go mythic raid with a controller xD

5+ Year Old Account
    Who gives a fuck? If someone wants to play with a controller, let them. I will never understand how people can let someone else's play style bug them. They pay for their own subs, let them play it how they want. You have NO control over them.

7+ Year Old Account
    They could play with their feet as long as they’re performing well. Doesn’t matter to me how you play but how well you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    They could play with their feet as long as they’re performing well. Doesn’t matter to me how you play but how well you do.
    Exactly this.

This appeared on wowhead today and again it caught fire:
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=317101/...-xbox-series-x

It's been almost 1 year since I decided to try the ADDON consoleport that allows you to play WoW on any content using an Xbox controller.
    The experience was so good and addictive that I never went back to the mouse and keyboard.
    I was never left-handed and used to miss some keybinds (mainly in intense fights in PVP) and this problem was corrected using the controller. Finally, I can also move further away from the monitor and rest my back! lol.

HOWEVER...

... although this seems to be a good option for all WoW players on the planet ... whenever there is a real possibility that this option is not dependent on an addon, but is officially implemented in the game ... it appears from the darkness one lot of people trying to forbid this possibility and deprive many players of trying to play with a controller.
    In particular, I only see positive things if Blizzard really allows its players to use a controller. I don't understand who is against this! There is no imbalance between who uses a controller and who uses the keyboard. Do you really think I'm able to win a fight against Pikaboo in a duel just because I'm moving the character with the left thumb and hitting the keybinds with the right thumb ???
    Jesus guys ...
    I have said forever if Wow ever released a Console Port that is tied to my Blizz account I would never play on a PC and never play another game on console again. I play any game I can with a controller as it is my preferred method of gaming. I love consoles and wish they would just go through with this.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yea that works with 2 targets...

If you have more targets, you either spam targeting button or just, you know, click the one you need. And I doubt you can do that "much faster" on a controller