Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Played controller on XIV for years. Still do, its chill and can clear end-game content fine with it. In fact the developers when testing the game (at least up to Heavensward) always tested it with controller in mind first, since its the one common interface all players have access to (due to console) while that's not necessarily the case for mouse/keyboard. The 2.5 gcd to 1.5 being a problem is also a slight myth/misgnomer as certain classes have a significant amount of oGCD actions that can make them as speedy as a WoW class. The highest was ninja at 49 or so, tho it did get trimmed a little. But still, that's within one third of the dps specs of the game right there. (Obviously not close to extremes like Fury or Brewmaster)

Also there's just significantly more abilities in XIV to bind, and yet there was more than enough binds to comfortably do everything. So WoW won't be a problem in that regard either. If anything it'll be super easy to set up. Also encounter design is pretty different between the two games; FFXIV fights have significantly more movement involved for their raids for everyone involved. Either because of the GCD or simply because it does, one or the other. Segments often target everyone, albeit maybe targeting everyone with something different. While WoW mechanics are deadly and usually require an immediate response, they also tend to target less people at a time in most encounters, so more button mashing your rotation feels fine here too.

My biggest concern for me is to why I feel WoW would be a bust controller wise is XIV's controller scheme working is contingent on legacy movement. What that is for people who do not play XIV on controller or have never messed with options in the game is when you say, press S, you don't back pedal and instead your character immediately faces/snaps south and runs that direction on a dime. Its the difference between DotA having a turn speed or League having no turn-speed at all. Because of this, movement on controller is responsive since you can run diagonally backwards at full speed because you face that direction immediately. No camera panning required unless you feel like you need visibility in that direction. The camera is not your 'head' in terms of movement.

That said by default the movement if you play with a mouse and keyboard is WoW-like; press S and you backpedal. Controller turns that off because it wisely knows it'll be an issue. Furthermore, mouse and keyboard players have the option to turn legacy movement on so that it doesn't become a controller advantage if they don't want to deal with camera manipulation for forward/strafe movement. Unless WoW intends to allow this kind of movement backpedaling will be hard to avoid on a controller and give very stiff responses to getting out of bad. On the other hand if they enable legacy on just controller, I would see that as a legitimate thing for non-controller users to complain about because although most of us are used to the "techniques" it takes for running a certain direction (jumping while strafing, quick camera spins while strafing/forward, etc.) I think a lot of people take for granted how much of that is muscle memory from playing the game for years. After all, you still see some people backpedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    you live in a fantasy land if you think any of these statements are true. Either that or youre just as full of shit as you sound
    Well, as I said in the topic title: people will play with a controller ... and yes, if you have warmode on ... probably people using a contoller will kill you. Just accept that and then it will hurt less.

But if you play with a controller, how do you click all your abilities?

Checkmate controller people.

I'm convinced DH was designed with controllers in mind.

I'll accept it but they don't deserve to be on a raid team because using a controller will not be as responsive as keyboard and mouse.

#controllersplayersmatter

Why are people arguing game speed in favor of M&KB? People play fighting games and stuff like Platinum titles with controllers and these are more fast-paced and (sometimes) competitive that WoW ever will be. You absolutely can be fast enough with a controller if you're good, albeit target switching is far greater hassle.

WoW's not getting ported to consoles ever. The code already has difficulty holding together on PC sometimes, porting that over to a different architecture would be a nightmare made manifest, and there's not much of a market to tap there because after 15 years most everyone who ever wanted to play WoW, already has. Blizzard's accessibility solution is the fact that you can play this game on a potato PC, not to port it to as many consoles as is humanly possible ala Skyrim.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    Who gives a fuck? If someone wants to play with a controller, let them. I will never understand how people can let someone else's play style bug them. They pay for their own subs, let them play it how they want. You have NO control over them.
    Your right, but we also got the right to boot em from our group/raid when they end up playing subpar.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Your right, but we also got the right to boot em from our group/raid when they end up playing subpar.
    I can't wait for the already shit raid members of the team announcing they're playing with controllers. Insta boot.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artale View Post
    The main difference is the speed of combat. FFXIV has 2,5 sec base GCD vs WoW's 1,5.
    which is irrelevant because you have oGCD causing similar APM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trinkie View Post
    You can't even compare the two. All of FFXIV's jobs has less APM than the slowest one in WoW
    but with far more buttons, which is the only thing a controller inhibits. its easy to spam 1 button on a controller for 90% of your rotation like all wow classes

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I can't wait for the already shit raid members of the team announcing they're playing with controllers. Insta boot.
    Although Blizzard has not (yet) announced WoW for consoles, it has already guaranteed that the option for controllers will be in Shadowlands.
    And I also can't wait to see videos on youtube with players who say that Controllers make you slow and without skills .... being killed in the arena, BG or in the open-world ... by people using Controllers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Although Blizzard has not (yet) announced WoW for consoles, it has already guaranteed that the option for controllers will be in Shadowlands.
    And I also can't wait to see videos on youtube with players who say that Controllers make you slow and without skills .... being killed in the arena, BG or in the open-world ... by people using Controllers.
    The 0.5% players who CAN play well with a controller will make it so the remaining BAD players use a controller and then not understand why they get 0% win rate and kicked from 95% of their M+/raids.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Well, as I said in the topic title: people will play with a controller ... and yes, if you have warmode on ... probably people using a contoller will kill you. Just accept that and then it will hurt less.
    so long as i can keep them out of actual content like mythic+ and raiding I'm fine with it. Especially considering there is no possible way to 180 faster (as you say) than with a kbm.

so long as i can keep them out of actual content like mythic+ and raiding I'm fine with it. Especially considering there is no possible way to 180 faster (as you say) than with a kbm.
    All you have to do is brush your left thumb on the L button (move cursor) and this is sensitive enough for the character to make a perfect 180 ° turn in (idk) 0.1 secs. In terms of time it is identical to the mouse. I don't work for microsoft, I don't need to lie about it. lol
    Like I said ... try it first, then judge.
    Have a nice night.

- - - Updated - - -

so long as i can keep them out of actual content like mythic+ and raiding I'm fine with it. .
    Oh, I forgot to comment on that. You can't.

You won't and you won't even know.

Nah, blizzard will learn to have to accept the unemployment line first.
    just like several other devs, both individuals and entire studios.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    which is irrelevant because you have oGCD causing similar APM

- - - Updated - - -

but with far more buttons, which is the only thing a controller inhibits. its easy to spam 1 button on a controller for 90% of your rotation like all wow classes
    More buttons =/= harder

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    How about get off that high horse and stop acting like you own anything other than your own performance in an easy game. You sound like you don't want to put any more effort than carry yourself anyway so you seem to be demanding everyone else to perform higher so you can get away with being average. Get real, you do NOT have a say how others choose to play. As for "actual" content, well if I corpse camp your ass for an hour its pretty fucking actual mate.
    That is a completely ridiculous stretch and not based in any klind of reality. ALl he cares about is everyone pulling their own weight and doesn't think someone using a controller can. And actually, you can have a say in how others choose to play. He has every right to initiate a kick if he knows another player is using a controller.

As long as the game doesn't get changed because of it like auto target and shit people can play with whatever they want.

I highly doubt someone with a controller can keep up with the traditional setup. If it is fun for them who am i to judge?

BUT: Don't change the game into some shitty console to PC port to get the console crowd into it. This has always in every game lead to a dumbing down of gameplay.
    For all i care they can release a complete seperate version of the game on consoles. But don't make it a platform crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    Somehow your argument falls apart when i look at most combat rotations in classic that are just way more controller friendly...
    people like justandulas are just delusional Classic Andy's or spergs as we called em back in the day, they have a narrative that they deeply want and wont deviate from anything that shows otherwise.

Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt, Frost bolt,.....

wOw CluSiC ROtAtIoNs ArE SO CoMpLeX