Does guardian get abilities that taunt

I really like playing tank classes and from what I'm reading it seems that guardian is the best option either that or warrior but I already picked guardian. I am just wondering if he gets abilities that pull aggro or if I should change to a different class that has these abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Xibri View Post
    I really like playing tank classes and from what I'm reading it seems that guardian is the best option either that or warrior but I already picked guardian. I am just wondering if he gets abilities that pull aggro or if I should change to a different class that has these abilities?
    As firebrand, yes. Virtue of Courage becomes Tome of Courage, and when you pop it at least a few skills give you the ability to taunt enemies (longish cooldown though, so not always up, and some of the other abilities that don't taunt are super strong defensive tools for your group). Plus a fair number of ways to generate aegis to block attacks.

Though it's worth noting that tanking in GW2 isn't remotely like traditional tanking in other games. For the most part it's totally unnecessary as fights are largely designed around there not being any tanks. I think the only place they really have a spot is raids/strikes and other larger group content, I don't know if they're even really used in 5m fractals or dungeons at all.

I forget how it works, but IIRC threat has quite a bit to do with how much life you have and your proximity to bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As firebrand, yes. Virtue of Courage becomes Tome of Courage, and when you pop it at least a few skills give you the ability to taunt enemies (longish cooldown though, so not always up, and some of the other abilities that don't taunt are super strong defensive tools for your group). Plus a fair number of ways to generate aegis to block attacks.

Though it's worth noting that tanking in GW2 isn't remotely like traditional tanking in other games. For the most part it's totally unnecessary as fights are largely designed around there not being any tanks. I think the only place they really have a spot is raids/strikes and other larger group content, I don't know if they're even really used in 5m fractals or dungeons at all.

I forget how it works, but IIRC threat has quite a bit to do with how much life you have and your proximity to bosses.
    It seems you have good knowledge of the game. SoI have another question for you.

Is Druid the only viable healer? And do you need to max out a ranger to unlock it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Is Druid the only viable healer? And do you need to max out a ranger to unlock it?
    You need to max it out for it to be useful. I'm not super up to date on all the mechanics and the current meta, but druid is one of the prefered healers given the buffs they bring. You can make it work with other builds (support mesmer brings a ton of offensive buffs for example, and a support firebrand brings a ton of heals and defensive buffs as well as some offensive ones), but I usually see druids in higher demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taunt is more of a pvp thing, actually but there are a handful raid bosses that can will be affected by it. Kind of funny when it happens.

The two main means of tanking in PVE are proximity and toughness. There's a few other means but they aren't often used or significant. Tanking in GW2 also doesn't always mean your the one a mob will be particularly facing and slapping but the one who will be targeted by its special abilities. You also have some fights where someone is randomly fixated, therefore everyone must have a basic understanding of tanking.

Warriors don't really tank at all in instanced PVE.

Tanking in PVE can be a thing but it's not WoW where you're locking aggro. Instead you build character around being able to control/CC mobs and pick up more dps oriented players that have downed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It seems you have good knowledge of the game. SoI have another question for you.

GW2 while having some form of trinity, it has nothing like WoW or other traditional MMOs healer or tank. Practically everyone is a DPS here. Healing and tanking is just a form of utility, not a main role.

For healing its
    Buff oriented: Druid and Rev
    Actual Heal for people messing up: Scourge and tempest.

The last two are really good for fights people are struggling with and then if they are not the first two have good dps buffs plus their healer. Guardian can technically be a buff/healer type too but they use a lot of proteciton shields and stuff to avoid dmg while dpsing and keeping up quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Guardian can technically be a buff/healer type too but they use a lot of proteciton shields and stuff to avoid dmg while dpsing and keeping up quickness.
    Firebrand support 4 lyfe.

My build's probably a bit outdated, but that was my main fractal build and it's surprisingly darned good. Not quite as many offensive buffs, but you can still keep up quite a bit of might and high uptime on quickness. I've actually found the additional defensive boons to be pretty darned solid, regular aegis to let folks eat hits like they don't care, lots of protection to keep damage low, plenty of stability...only thing I don't like is that it's a power-based support build (power/healing/concentration) so I don't benefit from all the FB dots, but I can live with that.

It's probably not great for super hard content, but FB support is super underrated IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    For healing its
    Buff oriented: Druid and Rev
    Actual Heal for people messing up: Scourge and tempest.

The last two are really good for fights people are struggling with and then if they are not the first two have good dps buffs plus their healer. Guardian can technically be a buff/healer type too but they use a lot of proteciton shields and stuff to avoid dmg while dpsing and keeping up quickness.
    FB is a great healer. I use it for fractals all the time when I just want to turn off my brain and carry a group through dailies. It has plenty of healing power outside of aegis. Symbols, tome 2, mantra, spirit bow, sanctuary, just off the top of my head.

The dps variant is for when it's healing is overkill.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Sorry for necro posting as this may help someone else in your shoes, but druid is not the only healer that is viable and wanted in the game. Firebrand with that sweet quickness, cleanse and absorb tome along with reactive heals is always welcome, especially in fractals.