Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[App] WowUp Addon Updater

I've been working on a new addon updater since the recent announcement of Twitch ditching the updater soon.

It's under development but I'd love some feedback if anyone is interested!

Check it out here, Unfortunately I can't post links yet wowup.io

Currently should support most features of the existing Twitch addon updater, with more features planned if there's interest!

Hop on the Discord if you have issues or just have questions, can be found on the website

Quote Originally Posted by jliddev View Post
    I've been working on a new addon updater since the recent announcement of Twitch ditching the updater soon.

It's under development but I'd love some feedback if anyone is interested!

Check it out here, Unfortunately I can't post links yet wowup.io

Currently should support most features of the existing Twitch addon updater, with more features planned if there's interest!

Hop on the Discord if you have issues or just have questions, can be found on the website
    I probably missed that announcement - when did they say this?
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

Quote Originally Posted by Sosuke Aizen View Post
    twitch sold the wow addon stuff to OverWolf

But won't the new platform also have the auto update functionality though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sosuke Aizen View Post
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...ts-from-Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post

It will, but the Overwolf app is a pile of steaming shit. So, unless they make a new app...

This one seems really good though!

Yeah, the overwolf app is... terrible. Really appreciate any alternative. Going to check this one out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does it pull the addons and their updates from as i believe generally they are uploaded upon curse/twitch themselves?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to move this to the interface forum; I think it might be more appropriate there and potentially get better feedback.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Been looking for a good alternative to Curse/Twitch, especially with Overwolf buying Curse off of Twitch. Yours seems to be exactly the kind of minimalist tool I've been looking for so I'll give it a whirl.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Where does it pull the addons and their updates from as i believe generally they are uploaded upon curse/twitch themselves?
    Currently it uses CurseForge , TukUI, and GitHub as addon sources

When will twitch stop mods updating anyway? Still working for me.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post

Nice thanks for the info. I like the fact that this new updated checks github tukui etc
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

FYI: you cannot just simple distribute copyrighted addons, you'll need to see what addons has copyright and ask permission for distribution.

I do love this option over the Overwolf, I will try it asap.

actually like this tool

congratulations on a good work!

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It will, but the Overwolf app is a pile of steaming shit. So, unless they make a new app...
    There will be new app, thay mention this in article linked above:
    the mod manager will leave the Twitch client and become a dedicated CurseForge app for PC and Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    FYI: you cannot just simple distribute copyrighted addons, you'll need to see what addons has copyright and ask permission for distribution.
    This.

While I really like the app (always wanted a 3rd party open-source / free of charge solution) this is probably illegal. Don't know if you're allowed to pull data from others servers like this. I think Minion (or whatever the apps before this one were called) all got DMCA'd into not providing AddOns from Curse.

Anyone that knows for sure whether this is illegal/legal?

Hum? Addons cannot be copyrighted they must be all open source and free to use else blizzard wouldn't allow it.
    Minion is the client from wowinterface it grabs addons from there, nothing to do with curse.

What you could potentially argue is that sites like curse may not be very welcome to some 3rd party client pulling data from their servers making them not making any money from ads and whatnot, but even then, if the site is open to the public for free and the 3rd party client is not profiting from it why not do it? Theres already a shit load of addon manager out there that does this, you can check it here ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

Quote Originally Posted by mspy View Post
    Hum? Addons cannot be copyrighted they must be all open source and free to use else blizzard wouldn't allow it.
    This is simply not true. Disclaimer, that like you I am also not a lawyer, but I will try to explain below how this actually works.

The software license chosen is determined by the author of that add-on. Please read the license for each add-on you install if you want to understand how the software can be legally used. When in doubt, assume the add-on has an ARR (All Rights Reserved) clause and check with the author to clarify what restrictions they place on distribution of their software.

Blizzard has never dictated that add-ons for WoW use any particular software license. You'll see many under MIT license, some GPL, amongst other choices made by the add-on author. What Blizzard has done is publish an official 'UI Add-on Development Policy' that from my understanding is enforced via their standard WoW ToU and EULA that we all agree to when we play their game.

For example, it is this Blizzard policy that restricts add-on authors from asking for donations in-game. If you read this policy, you'll notice it requires add-on code to be not hidden or obfuscated and also distributed free of charge. I believe therein lies your confusion as you mistake that to mean it "cannot be copyrighted ... must be all open source".

Quote Originally Posted by RelaZ View Post
    This.

While I really like the app (always wanted a 3rd party open-source / free of charge solution) this is probably illegal. Don't know if you're allowed to pull data from others servers like this. I think Minion (or whatever the apps before this one were called) all got DMCA'd into not providing AddOns from Curse.

Anyone that knows for sure whether this is illegal/legal?
    IANAL, but this isn't distrubution, this is simply providing users a tool to access a distributor. In that case, if it's on GitHub, you (the repo owner) are a distributor to anyone who downloads the code, be that through git CLI, browser or any other app. Similarly for CurseForge.

You are not doing anything a browser can't already do. They obviously don't like it, because this removes any chance for them to serve you ads, but as far as licensing goes, there is nothing illegal here.