Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Getting told “wait for xxxx” gets slightly irritating

It’s that time of year again when asking someone for build advice it’s “wait for 3000 series” or “wait for zen 3”. I can maybe understand the high end builders waiting but people asking for mid to low end builds are told to wait as well. Nvidia won’t lower prices when new cards come out. Retailers won’t as well. It’s August and if the new cards come out in October, the chances of someone getting a card this year will be slim.

I was in the same situation as you 2/3 years ago. most of the people around me were telling me to just wait for the newer graphic card, wait for the newer motherboard... wait for the newer rams! it is basically an endless cycle of a better scenario for your build.

don't fall into that trap and just get what you can afford that is capable of running the games you want to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Do NOT wait for anything unless it Is like a month away and that thing IS actually gonna make a huge difference in your build without increasing your budget.
    Edit Signature.

I think in regards to nvidia people are saying to wait because they have likely polished up ray-tracing quite a bit a have learned a lot from the 2000s series because lets be real, the 2000s series launch wasn't exactly all that great for Nvidia. Still very good cards, but the value wasn't quite there. Hence they had to boost their lineup with the Super series.

But in general unless if you are really committed to building a new PC or really want a new component or w/e, this isn't the best time to build a pc due to the pandemic and the economy. Many components are more expensive than what they usually are while things like PSU's are drastically more expensive. The "older" generation cards will also become cheaper when the new ones come out, so that is something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    It’s that time of year again when asking someone for build advice it’s “wait for 3000 series” or “wait for zen 3”. I can maybe understand the high end builders waiting but people asking for mid to low end builds are told to wait as well. Nvidia won’t lower prices when new cards come out. Retailers won’t as well. It’s August and if the new cards come out in October, the chances of someone getting a card this year will be slim.
    even if you aren't a high end builder, the new series coming out will give you a much better price/performance ratio for what you can get.

I just got a PC with a 10900k and reused my 1060 and will replace it sometime after the 3000-series comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

I’m actually looking at doing the reverse. My CPU is still decently strong so I’m looking at upgrading my 980 when the 3000 series hits.
    Yeah I was running a 4670k on a $60 motherboard and a stock cooler (with the pre-applied TIM from 7 years ago) and got tired of getting 40% CPU usage playing a 1080p Youtube video.

10+ Year Old Account
    The advice has always been "Wait if you can afford to".
    And even if you aren't getting a 3080ti, you'll still get a better GPU by waiting for the 3060 than getting a 2060 now. Again, if you can afford to wait. Some people can't, and that's alright.

I understand the sentiment that there is always something to wait for, but at least at the current time it might actually be worth waiting.
    Of course waiting is only sensible if you actually have a functional PC you can continue to use for a few more months. If you need something now, thats another matter.

Personally, I'm waiting for both thew new GPU generations, and AMDs Zen3 to upgrade my system. Until then, it'll be just fine. Its more of a luxury upgrade anyway!

Do what you want.

Seems like 3000 series could be a pretty big leap worth waiting for, it is either worth it to you to wait or it is not.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still the best advice.
    Why u need extra performance now?
    Unless your PC is broken.
    Also, 3600x 2080rtx ix gon be cheaper when new stuff comes out.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    even if you aren't a high end builder, the new series coming out will give you a much better price/performance ratio for what you can get.
    How dare you try to help someone with good advice? Don't you know that it is a vile sin? How dare you advice them to wait so that they can get better value for their money? Don't you know that you are just luring them in trap? Shame on you!
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

I agree with OP. It's always wait for this, wait for that, wait for this. Most of the time even when part x comes out its sold out of stock for months anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Also, 3600x 2080rtx ix gon be cheaper when new stuff comes out.
    And quite likely pointless if rumours are any bit true. I doubt we are going to see $300 2080s laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    And quite likely pointless if rumours are any bit true. I doubt we are going to see $300 2080s laying around.
    Idk, I knew people who bought new $450 1080Ti's.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Idk, I knew people who bought new $450 1080Ti's.
    2080 and 2080ti got price hikes that almost nullified any performance they gained from 10 series. Hell at the beginning 1080 ti was trading blows the 2080.

Only thing you really gained from 20 series was Ray Tracing and it was a gimmick for the most part. And if you care about RT, 30 series is rumoured to be 4x faster in RT performance. So 20 series price is going to fall like drop. Assuming we have comperition next round and Nvidia doesn't do another price hike.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two factors going on right now.

1) Covid has caused prices of currently available product to go up in price, so we recommend waiting until A) Prices go down, or B) New product comes out so at least if you pay a premium, you're getting the best deal

2) Waiting is obviously in a case of ... if you can. If you need a computer NOW then obviously get what is available. But if you CAN wait, do so. People never recommend waiting like 8 months for stuff. But if its 2-3... That's a pretty short amount of time. Of course, that 2-3 may stretch out again further than expected due to Covid shipping/manufacturing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

2080 and 2080ti got price hikes that almost nullified any performance they gained from 10 series. Hell at the beginning 1080 ti was trading blows the 2080.

Only thing you really gained from 20 series was Ray Tracing and it was a gimmick for the most part. And if you care about RT, 30 series is rumoured to be 4x faster in RT performance. So 20 series price is going to fall like drop. Assuming we have comperition next round and Nvidia doesn't do another price hike.
    Yep, so I fully expect $500 2080 supers around.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Except they didn't. Remember that the 2080Ti did not replace the 1080Ti... it replaced the Titan.

The 2080 replaced the 1080Ti and was the exact same MSRP at launch
    The 2080Ti replaced the Titan, and was the exact same MSRP at launch.

Now, you're correct that the 2080 itself was barely an upgrade over the 1080Ti... but the 2080Ti was 25-30% more powerful than the 1080Ti/Titan (as the Titan Xp was barely faster than the 1080Ti).

Since they didn't do a price hike last time (or the time before that, or the generation before that, even... aside from cost-of-production increases (like when GDDR5 prices spiked because of lack of supply).... its unlikely theyre going to do one now, especially given the Great Depression levels of economic troubles we're in for.

I wouldn't expect 2080S/2080Ti to drop in price though, i have no idea why people keep saying that the old ones will drop in price.

That never happens, unless you're talking the used market.

2080 and 2080Ti went out of production some time ago (over a month now IIRC) - theyll be out of stock by the time the 3080s and 3080Tis and such ship. They arent going to go on "clearance" as there isn't a massive stockpile of them (there never is with the top 2-3 SKUs)

You might see 2060s, 2060 SUPERs, and lower go on discount when its near time for the 3000 series equivalents to launch because they are produced in much larger quantities and its harder for nVidia to dry up supply as easily as it is with the higher end SKUs.

When we're a couple or so months away from the release of new CPU and GPU generations it makes all sense to wait. Such as now. I waited for a Ryzen release and sure as hell didn't regret it.

In every other period of the year it won't make sense as eventually there will always be something coming out in the future.

People say wait now, because you're asking for advice. If you don't like the advice you don't have to follow it or if you have already decided against the advice then why ask in the first place?

Do whatever you want with the information you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I wouldn't expect 2080S/2080Ti to drop in price though, i have no idea why people keep saying that the old ones will drop in price.

That never happens, unless you're talking the used market.
    I'm not saying they will drop in price. I said there is no point buying 2080 when the new cards are released.. unless it's at $300 if the new cards are anything like rumoured.