Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they are full, it is because of two things.

1. Not really a prison, more like a boarding home you can not leave.

2. Not enough of them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    If they are full, it is because of two things.

1. Not really a prison, more like a boarding home you can not leave.

2. Not enough of them.
    Nah, it's because incarceration in the US is legal slavery and they need to keep the workhouses...sorry, prisons full.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So now we "teach lessons" by threatening criminal charges? Nice one.
    Also, he might be, he might be not, you are just guessing.
    As someone who used to work as a booking officer, yeah I'm making an educated guess. I'm fairly sure this guy can come up with the $50 to get a bail bondsman

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Bro america really needs to teach the history of its prisons. California built more prisons, guess what happened? They filled them up. The system itself is the problem, its slavery in many states. There is money to be made in enslaving people so giving them more money seems like a good way to make the problems worse.
    Ghostpanther does not think that is a problem. They view it as a solution.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So I'm free to come do donuts in your front lawn?
    As long as you are willing to pay to have the damage replaced.

I never said that he should not be responsible for the damages. I agree. I disagree with having to serve a 5-year jail sentence for a few black marks.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    As long as you are willing to pay to have the damage replaced.

I never said that he should not be responsible for the damages. I agree. I disagree with having to serve a 5-year jail sentence for a few black marks.
    And how are you going to get that money?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

if you don't make payments willingly, wage garnishment IS a thing that exists and can be done. and before you say something something, I don't put my paycheck in a bank, there are many MANY ways. some of those ways as unfair as it is - can involve taking that money from your family if you yourself refuse to pay. and if all else fails? well.. you can just work it off at a mandated location/worksite.

jail can be a last resort. it should NOT however be a first resort for property damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    if you don't make payments willingly, wage garnishment IS a thing that exists and can be done. and before you say something something, I don't put my paycheck in a bank, there are many MANY ways. some of those ways as unfair as it is - can involve taking that money from your family if you yourself refuse to pay. and if all else fails? well.. you can just work it off at a mandated location/worksite.

jail can be a last resort. it should NOT however be a first resort for property damage.
    OK then we are back to. How much are you willing to pay to get that money?

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...ivil-judgement
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The reasons they’re full is we have a for profit prison system that pays judges to make sure they stay packed.
    We got a similar system in Ireland, minus the Prisons -- nicknamed the Revolving Door system, Judges and Lawyers get fat off consistent serial criminal defendants, even violent ones, handing out suspended sentences with minimal jail time... not uncommon to have people with 300-500+ convictions walking the streets.

Acid attack on a teen, ruining their promising career in Football? NP! Get off with a cautionary warning... I kid you fucking not!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-08-07 at 03:09 AM.

Do I really need to tell you? I think I just need to block you. You really are offering nothing to the conversation anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Do I really need to tell you? I think I just need to block you. You really are offering nothing to the conversation anymore.
    You do whatever you fell like you need to.

No you don't need to tell me cause the fact is, when it comes to civil claims you may NEVER get your money.

Just curious, I know it seems a bit much, doing donuts in a car = 1 to 5 years. But he was in a public parking lot, what if he hit someone, what if he killed a kid that was walking through there and he didn't seem them. Would that be ok? I mean people talk about how dangerous guns are even having one in your car if you don't have the right for it is a large fine and jail. Just waving one around in public can get you arrested and jailed.

Are people saying that cars are not dangerous? That doing something stupid like this in a public place where you could kill some one, just like waving a gun, should somehow be considered less important?

Like I said just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    Just curious, I know it seems a bit much, doing donuts in a car = 1 to 5 years. But he was in a public parking lot, what if he hit someone, what if he killed a kid that was walking through there and he didn't seem them. Would that be ok? I mean people talk about how dangerous guns are even having one in your car if you don't have the right for it is a large fine and jail. Just waving one around in public can get you arrested and jailed.

Are people saying that cars are not dangerous? That doing something stupid like this in a public place where you could kill some one, just like waving a gun, should somehow be considered less important?

If we applied what if's to all sentences you could imprison most of car drivers for speeding.

OK then we are back to. How much are you willing to pay to get that money?

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...ivil-judgement
    Collection attorneys specialize in creditor rights. The thing many Plaintiffs don’t understand about winning their case is that it is their responsibility to collect on the judgement, the court will not do it for you.

In Florida small claims cases, there is a document called a “Fact Information Sheet” the Plaintiff may ask the judge to order the Defendant to fill out. I have also served Subpoenas in Aid of Execution on banks and individuals for specific information about assets and bank accounts found in asset searches and provided in information forms.

There are many ways these assets can be used to enforce the judgement. I have had Clients request an asset search seeking a Writ of Execution or Replevin to seize assets owned by the debtor including motor vehicles, boats, recreational vehicles, real property, etc. The Sheriff can seize these assets and force a Sheriff’s sale with a portion of the proceeds going to the Creditor.

The creditor may have a private investigator locate the defendant’s bank accounts and have a process server issue and serve a Writ of Garnishment against the funds in the account. Bank account searches are costly and strict Federal Laws protect the privacy of financial institutions. Although you may find bank account searches advertised online, there are few investigators with the talent, resources, and connections to actually produce usable results lawfully.

If the Defendant has not property or bank accounts with funds sufficient to cover the judgement, the Plaintiff often seeks a Continuing Writ of Garnishment against salary or wages. This is served on the defendant’s employer and a court ordered amount is withheld from the defendant’s bank account each pay period.

from your link above. and btw, the costs? are ALSO being garnished from you. so.. how much extra are YOU willing to lose?

and this is just using current laws, assuming its going to have to be a civil suit. what we are arguing here that while something like this should NOT automatically result in jail... it doesn't mean there should be no repercussions.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-08-09 at 12:17 AM.

It is nice to hear that the USA follow their rules for prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post

Because we have laws that account for if he ran over a kid (such as manslaughter), specifically so the law currently being applied doesn't need to account for it? The recklessness of an act is really only likely if there was a realistic chance of some third party being hit (i.e he did it in a crowded place)

Beyond that judge's have the power to and indeed generally must account for general and specific deterrence when sentencing. The general there being that the sentencing has an element that acts as a deterrent for the public.

Finally, gun's are weapons so the context is different, cars are probably more dangerous then guns due to their prevalence but their primary purpose isn't lethal propulsion.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?