10+ Year Old Account

sci fi in cosmos

which sci fi moves set in cosmis, with spaceships and stuff can u recommend?

i watched startrek and star wars, interstellar and some more. i like the vastness of the universe
    just watched underwater and srsly thats so much terrifying to me
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    I recomend 2 movies, but they closer to the scientifical view then to the sci-fi one. The first is Martian with Matt Damon, the second is Gravity with Sandra Bullok and George Clooney.

I have Intersteller, and i can say, i'm not a huge fan of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post

i watched startrek and star wars, interstellar and some more. i like the vastness of the universe
    There's not very many good spaceship movies TBH, if you want a spaceship story then I recommend the series Battlestar Galactica.

Only movies? As series I could recommend "The Expanse", which was pretty good. Also I've really liked Stargate.

For movies it depends how much the spaceships need to be present. I mean movies like the following are widely different:
    Alien movies, Event Horizon, Avatar, Serenity, Passengers, Oblivion, 2001: a space odyssey, Arrival, Independence Day, Enders Game.

I really like Pandorum. Great sci fi spaceship movie gem.

There are few space opera-type movies.

And the ones we have are often not that great.

Jupiter Ascending (2015) and Valerian and the City of a Thousands Planets (2017) have some great visuals, but as movies are not that great. Very forgettable.

Babylon 5 has some good movies, my favorite is In The Beginning (1998), detailing the Earth-Minbari War and acting as a prequel for many important characters in the series.

You could also try out The Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and its sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 (2017). it's a Marvel movie set entirely in space other than a handful of scenes.

Now, if you're open to series, there are more options, some good ones mentioned here like The Expanse. Also, Netflix's Lost in Space remake isn't bad.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-08-03 at 10:00 PM.

If you like lore, story, character development and epic sci-fi settings, you can't go wrong with Babylon 5 series.

Though I would recommend skipping most of Season 1 and either starting at S2 directly, or watching only choice episodes. Season 1 did not age well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    If you like lore, story, character development and epic sci-fi settings, you can't go wrong with Babylon 5 series.

Though I would recommend skipping most of Season 1 and either starting at S2 directly, or watching only choice episodes. Season 1 did not age well.
    Yeah, Babylon 5 is amazing. G'kar, Delenn, Sheridan, and Londo have so many amazing scenes, in addition to the rest of the cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Expanse and BSG weren't on your list.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The Expanse and BSG weren't on your list.
    They asked for movies, not series.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They asked for movies, not series.
    Fine, Europa Report and Cloverfield 3 (don't remember its actual name).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

There are different types (and subtypes) of "sci fi in cosmos" films, you can't really lump them together as they address different audiences. Broadly speaking, you should at very least differentiate between "action flick in space" and "psychological mumbo-jumbo in space".

Some examples of films belonging to the first category, "action" films in a space travel/exploration setting: Alien franchise, Star Trek franchise, Event Horizon, Serenity, Europa Report, Pandorum, Passengers, Apollo 13, The Martian, Gravity. Starship Troopers, Ender's Game, Salyut 7, Life.

Some examples of films belonging to the second category, "psychological" films in a space travel/exploration: 2001: A Space Oddyssey, Silent Running, Solaris (both of them), On the Silver Globe, Sunshine, Moon, Cargo, Interstellar, Arrival, Ad Astra.

Ad Astra is kind of silly, but imo also a pretty decent take on deep space travel with tech close to what we have now.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Read Stanislaw Lem. Or just watch Solaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post

Star Trek and Star Wars

I'd recommend Contact. Great movie if you like a more thriller/mystery take on Sci/Fi.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'd recommend Contact. Great movie if you like a more thriller/mystery take on Sci/Fi.
    ofc i watched
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC