1. #1
    Mechagnome Toralin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    51st State
    Posts
    696

    Exclamation Shadowlands level squish

    Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet, but here are some of the breakdowns in levels for the level squish.

    Info has been taken from the current Beta.

    • Level 120 becomes level 50
    • Level 110 becomes level 45
    • Level 100 becomes level 40
    • Level 80 becomes level 30
    • Level 61 becomes level 25
    • Level 45 becomes level 20
    • Level 28 becomes level 12
    • Level 20 becomes level 10
    • Level 10 becomes level 5


    Source.

  2. #2
    Elemental Lord Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8,800
    An actual very useful thread. Thanks for the info. Nice to compare and see who I might wanna level before Shadowlands.

  3. #3
    would be interesting if xp needed and rewards from quests and mobs scale and compare to current leveling with 100% buff + heirlooms.

    I doubt 1 level < 10 minutes will still be a thing?

  4. #4
    This is all simple math using a proportion. It's current level x 50 / 120.

  5. #5
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyrican View Post
    would be interesting if xp needed and rewards from quests and mobs scale and compare to current leveling with 100% buff + heirlooms.

    I doubt 1 level < 10 minutes will still be a thing?
    Takes like 5-7 hours to hit level 50 atm. It is MUCH faster than live.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk taishar68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Takes like 5-7 hours to hit level 50 atm. It is MUCH faster than live.
    This makes no sense. I'm not saying that it should take 2 months to level an alt, but what is the freaking point of designing a system that lets you choose which expansion to level in, and then be done in a day? Is this 6 hour experience done by someone with as many xp buffs as possible speedrunning and maximizing every trick to get it done in 7 hours, or is the experience of any player that hits level 10, and then hits one of the expansions? At 40 levels, that means about 6-7 levels per hour, roughly once every 10 minutes or so.

    I think if they meant for leveling to be that fast, they would have streamlined the questing to get you the full story in that time, hit all the key points, meet all the factions, see all the cutscenes, here's Shadowlands, good luck and have fun.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    This makes no sense. I'm not saying that it should take 2 months to level an alt, but what is the freaking point of designing a system that lets you choose which expansion to level in, and then be done in a day? Is this 6 hour experience done by someone with as many xp buffs as possible speedrunning and maximizing every trick to get it done in 7 hours, or is the experience of any player that hits level 10, and then hits one of the expansions? At 40 levels, that means about 6-7 levels per hour, roughly once every 10 minutes or so.

    I think if they meant for leveling to be that fast, they would have streamlined the questing to get you the full story in that time, hit all the key points, meet all the factions, see all the cutscenes, here's Shadowlands, good luck and have fun.
    You cant level through an expansion in a day?

    I'm pretty sure you can keep questing in the area if you want.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    This makes no sense. I'm not saying that it should take 2 months to level an alt, but what is the freaking point of designing a system that lets you choose which expansion to level in, and then be done in a day? Is this 6 hour experience done by someone with as many xp buffs as possible speedrunning and maximizing every trick to get it done in 7 hours, or is the experience of any player that hits level 10, and then hits one of the expansions? At 40 levels, that means about 6-7 levels per hour, roughly once every 10 minutes or so.

    I think if they meant for leveling to be that fast, they would have streamlined the questing to get you the full story in that time, hit all the key points, meet all the factions, see all the cutscenes, here's Shadowlands, good luck and have fun.
    The experience to level in BfA (originally) would be hugely higher than what it's going to take from 1-50 in SL - and you could very easily go through that within a day. I did and so did many others on release day. There was obviously no heirlooms and this was before the exp squish for BfA.

    I didn't have particularly good gear due to skipping legion, so no legendaries or anything. Doesn't give me a time it took on the WoW site - but the achievement for 120 is dated 14/8/18 - release date of BfA.

    Plus once you've already done an expansion multiple times - you really don't care about the story.

  9. #9
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,452
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    This makes no sense. I'm not saying that it should take 2 months to level an alt, but what is the freaking point of designing a system that lets you choose which expansion to level in, and then be done in a day? Is this 6 hour experience done by someone with as many xp buffs as possible speedrunning and maximizing every trick to get it done in 7 hours, or is the experience of any player that hits level 10, and then hits one of the expansions? At 40 levels, that means about 6-7 levels per hour, roughly once every 10 minutes or so.

    I think if they meant for leveling to be that fast, they would have streamlined the questing to get you the full story in that time, hit all the key points, meet all the factions, see all the cutscenes, here's Shadowlands, good luck and have fun.
    Whether or not it makes sense isn't the point. The point is that's how fast some people are leveling in alpha/beta.

    While there are plenty of 'stop and smell the roses' players in the game (I myself am friends with a few dozen of them), the reality is that there are a lot of people who want to be done with the outdated stuff and get to the content that is relevant. And it is because of those people that Blizz has streamlined the leveling.

    I don't know how many XP buffs and such the people leveling are using because that isn't relevant to me, I couldn't care less whether 1-50 takes 5 hours or 72 hours or whatever. I'm not about to flag down a guy that posted a video like "and what buffs did you have, HMMMMM??"
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk taishar68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    You cant level through an expansion in a day?

    I'm pretty sure you can keep questing in the area if you want.
    I personally can't, and that's not the point; if you're telling a player you can level in any expansion you want, add a fancy UI and toss in the omnipresent Chromie, it seems weird to me that the experience will then encompass the first half of, say, Hellfire Peninsula.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Whether or not it makes sense isn't the point. The point is that's how fast some people are leveling in alpha/beta.

    While there are plenty of 'stop and smell the roses' players in the game (I myself am friends with a few dozen of them), the reality is that there are a lot of people who want to be done with the outdated stuff and get to the content that is relevant. And it is because of those people that Blizz has streamlined the leveling.

    I don't know how many XP buffs and such the people leveling are using because that isn't relevant to me, I couldn't care less whether 1-50 takes 5 hours or 72 hours or whatever. I'm not about to flag down a guy that posted a video like "and what buffs did you have, HMMMMM??"
    Relax my friend, I wasn't criticizing, just curious.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

  11. #11
    Finally a useful thread. I can't believe Blizzard hasn't reported more on this yet. IMO, the level squish, and new leveling system, is by far the biggest, and most impactful feature of the expansion.

  12. #12
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    35,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Takes like 5-7 hours to hit level 50 atm. It is MUCH faster than live.
    ...and that is without XP bonus on the heirlooms? No wonder it got removed in that case.

  13. #13
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,452
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Relax my friend, I wasn't criticizing, just curious.
    Yes because clearly I was beside myself in a rage and needed to calm down.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...and that is without XP bonus on the heirlooms? No wonder it got removed in that case.
    Blizz said they are still adjusting it but I don't imagine it'll suddenly take like, 5 days or something. They've made it clear that they want leveling to be streamlined and quick so that people can get to the new stuff.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    I personally can't, and that's not the point; if you're telling a player you can level in any expansion you want, add a fancy UI and toss in the omnipresent Chromie, it seems weird to me that the experience will then encompass the first half of, say, Hellfire Peninsula.
    I'm fairly sure i don't need 7h playtime for a full clear of Hellfire Peninsula.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Finally a useful thread. I can't believe Blizzard hasn't reported more on this yet. IMO, the level squish, and new leveling system, is by far the biggest, and most impactful feature of the expansion.
    The squish has next to no actual impact on old players outside of altoholics, and inherently no impact on new players(since they have no pre-squish characters). The group of people meaningfully affected by the squish is actually fairly small.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    This makes no sense. I'm not saying that it should take 2 months to level an alt, but what is the freaking point of designing a system that lets you choose which expansion to level in, and then be done in a day? Is this 6 hour experience done by someone with as many xp buffs as possible speedrunning and maximizing every trick to get it done in 7 hours, or is the experience of any player that hits level 10, and then hits one of the expansions? At 40 levels, that means about 6-7 levels per hour, roughly once every 10 minutes or so.

    I think if they meant for leveling to be that fast, they would have streamlined the questing to get you the full story in that time, hit all the key points, meet all the factions, see all the cutscenes, here's Shadowlands, good luck and have fun.

    I don't know if they have tuned leveling times yet. I remember them commenting on it during alpha when people were posting similar leveling times that they haven;t tuned this yet and will probably change at some point.

  16. #16
    Pandaren Monk taishar68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'm fairly sure i don't need 7h playtime for a full clear of Hellfire Peninsula.
    We're all different.

    I'm not saying it needs to be slow, for me or anyone else. I'm just saying it seems strange to make it a feature, add things to enhance the experience, and then, you're done before you know it. I don't want it to take any longer than it needs to, but if the level gain is such that you'll be done in, say, 8-12 hours, I'd want those 8-12 hours to encompass a full story, and not just a partial one.

    I agree though, it won't have a large impact on a lot of players.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    I don't know if they have tuned leveling times yet. I remember them commenting on it during alpha when people were posting similar leveling times that they haven;t tuned this yet and will probably change at some point.
    True, but I doubt they'll change it drastically; the end goal is always the end game, and I doubt they'll make it a chore for folks to get there.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The squish has next to no actual impact on old players outside of altoholics, and inherently no impact on new players(since they have no pre-squish characters). The group of people meaningfully affected by the squish is actually fairly small.

    The squish will affect everyone playing the game, in a large way, even more so to those players that play more than 1 character (which is nearly everyone that plays the game). Blizzard has already stated all of this this, which is why they have been delaying a level squish for at least the past 1 or 2 expansions. But thanks for your armchair expert video game forum advice.

    It doesn't take much to understand that this will feel like a completely different game when this happens.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    The squish will affect everyone playing the game, in a large way, even more so to those players that play more than 1 character (which is nearly everyone that plays the game). Blizzard has already stated all of this this, which is why they have been delaying a level squish for at least the past 1 or 2 expansions. But thanks for your armchair expert video game forum advice.

    It doesn't take much to understand that this will feel like a completely different game when this happens.
    No, it will not. Some of the other changes that come along with it will, but the squish itself will affect hardly anybody. Your level 120 characters won't play any different beyond what is caused by losing corruptions and class changes. The level number changing to 50 doesn't do squat.

    It doesn't take much to realise that it actually won't change the feel of the game much. The leveling changes will have a much bigger impact, but if the feel of the game at the BfA level cap significantly changes beyond actual intentional gameplay changes, Blizzard messed up.

  19. #19
    Does anyone know how the dungeon ranges will work with the new level experience?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •