Poll: Which was the better Star Trek series?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Original Star Trek or The Next Generation?

Binge watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Pluto while clothes are in the wash and realized how good this series was. Just got done with the episode when Tasha Yar dies, Skin of Evil. I'm not what you would call a Trekkie, but I'm a big fan of Wrath of Khan, Space Seed, and some of other notable episodes from the original series. Now, with Next Generation, I'm finding the story-telling, characters, and acting comparable in quality to the original series. Do you have a preference between the two? Which series was better in your opinion?

Or...

I don't like much of the original series. It only became consistently good once they made the movies. TV productions in the 60s were just so very different...

5+ Year Old Account
    TNG by a mile.

TOS is great for the reflection on how different and hopeful we all once were.

TNG after Riker grows a beard is great... only a handful are good BBE (Before Beard Era).

DS9 and VOY ride the same enthusiasm of late TNG.

Enterprise is it's own thing and gets better as the series progresses.

STD (or DISCO if you prefer) is a travesty. Too many cooks in the kitchen make some okish sci-fi but it never feels like Star Trek.

Picard is interesting in that it relies on the nostalgia feels. However, in a bubble the story is boring and lacks cohesion... never really feeling like Star Trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    TNG no contest. Especially some of the later season when Stewart got more comfortable with the role. The OG was a Kirk/Bones/Spock story that occasionally involved others, while TNG went to great lengths to tell a ton of individual stories.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I'd have to go with TNG as well. I can watch both no problem but maybe because TNG is the one I watched as kid makes it a bit more nostalgic for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole TNG era, so TNG, DS9, and VOY, are amazing and that is what many people wanted out of a trek revival. They didn't want Star Wars with some trek smeared over the top of it. That's why so many people love The Orville. It's not perfect, but it certainly gives off those TNG feels.

I currently happen to be watching TNG on Netflix. I can say, the show holds up perfectly and it's one of the best TV shows ever made, imo.

I personally prefer TNG but I also liked TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The whole TNG era, so TNG, DS9, and VOY, are amazing and that is what many people wanted out of a trek revival. They didn't want Star Wars with some trek smeared over the top of it. That's why so many people love The Orville. It's not perfect, but it certainly gives off those TNG feels.
    ^^^^

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I really liked about Star Trek TOS is Spock, Kirk was garbage. So TNG is my favorite, however Spock vs TNG, I take Spock because Spock was fucking awesome!

I special note those TNG Seasons 1 -2 Still had the TOS Garbage factor though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

TNG>DS9>Enterprise>Voyager>Original>>>>>>Discovery

3+ Year Old Account
    deep space nine. teehee

Next generation for sure, picard is just the best.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Next generation for sure, picard is just the best.
    Hahaha I'd say it had to be Deanna Troi, she is the only reason I stuck around until it got good, Picard was awesome but I think Deanna Troi saved the show

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Hahaha I'd say it had to be Deanna Troi, she is the only reason I stuck around until it got good, Picard was awesome but I think Deanna Troi saved the show
    The show wouldn't be the same without here so can't argue with that lol thought she was awesome too. Overall a great cast imo with the exception of a few i didn't care for.

Perhaps abit much focus on Picard and data for alot of episodes.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    The show wouldn't be the same without here so can't argue with that lol thought she was awesome too. Overall of great cast imo with the exception of a few i didn't care for.

Perhaps abit much focus on Picard and data for alot of episodes.
    Yeah I agree, but i was just about becoming a Teenager when TNG came on, so yeah first couple seasons being terrible, Deanna Troi's nonsense was one of the only things bringing me back, but yeah, Picard and Data rocked too, just had to get used to them. I hated Worf he seemed silly but later, I enjoyed him also.

TNG as a series, after it found its groove, TOS movies are better than the TNG ones though.

10+ Year Old Account
    DS9 but there isn't really a wrong answer
    /s

TNG for sure. Starting with Season 3 anyway. Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG were like ToS, which I couldn't stand outside of a few stand out episodes.

Deep Space 9 is the best of the best. I would have liked Voyager, but it fails. "The Year of Hell" was a two parter that represents a consolidated version of what the whole show should have been. By the time Voyager made it back to Earth, it should have been beaten and battered all to hell and back.