Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65040...ent/index.html

This is an article from 2019. It seems to indicate that engagement, as used by Activision Blizzard, is much more then simply MAU. It encompasses how often people use everything related to the IP rather just "the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month". While it is illegal to lie to investors there is no definition of engagement for investors. So there is no reason to think it means MAU when engagement can refer to more then playing one of their games.

Buying Merchandise. Forum discussions. Watching dev streams. Etc can all fall under engagement. If I log on once during the month I am counted as a MAU. But that Blizzard hasn't really engaged me as a player. If they add a XP% buff and I play for the entire month they have engaged me as a player.
    Yes, exactly. Engagement can mean literally anything. Anyone saying it definitely means a certain thing is just guessing.

Step 1.) Use subs as the defining metric.
    Step 2.) Subs start plummeting.
    Step 3.) Stop reporting subs and use MAUs as the defining metric for WoW.
    Step 4.) MAUs stagnate and start dropping.
    Step 5.) Stop using MAUs as the defining metric and use "Engagement" instead.
    YOU ARE NOW HERE
    Step 6.) ???
    Step 7.) ???
    Step 8.) ???

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    They still use MAU. Engagement is not a replacement for MAU but a gauge of what those MAU are doing with the product.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Again, It's ILLEGAL to try and pull the wool over the eyes of investors.
    It's MAUs, and the total 32 million count is spread across their IPs. If they say that WoW has increased the size of its piece of the cake EVEN IF THE CAKE HASN'T GROWN BIGGER, that's how it is.
    I believe that you are oversimplifying. There are descriptions of how the game is going and there are metrics. The two things don't necessarily need to be precisely the same thing and there's no knowing that MAU is just one component of how they define "engagement."

I'm quite sure that Blizzard tracks quite a lot of things and that plays into what they call engagement. Time played per session for instance. For each MAU, how many times that account logs into the game in a month and for how long they stay. They don't report any of this on their corporate reporting but that doesn't mean they can't just say that "engagement" (however they define it internally) has never been higher six months out from the next expansion.

It's a silly argument over semantics but it's also important to note that Blizzard has many many metrics that we know little about that they can use to describe interest in their various IP's.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-08-05 at 06:25 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I don't think "franchise engagement" = MAUs.

I don't see those terms equated anywhere. When they report MAUs for Blizzard products, they said they were flat. (32 million in Q1 2019, Q4 2019, and Q2 2020). They said franchise engagement was at its highest point in a decade. That might include website hits, in-store purchases, google tracking, amount of fan mail flooding the post office box of Steve Danuser, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    So, this statement just came from the Activision Blizzard Q2 2020 Earnings Call. What do you guys think about this? Looking through this forum the last couple of months all you found were hate threads about BFA and the current corruption system.

What do you think is different now compared to Legion at this point in time? Why are players more engaged now than in the past? Was the expansion really as bad as people make it out to be?

Reading that statement feels like it's just gibberish. It really says nothing as usual.
    Blizzard loves to spin words like a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    I don't think "franchise engagement" = MAUs.

I don't see those terms equated anywhere. When they report MAUs for Blizzard products, they said they were flat. (32 million in Q1 2019, Q4 2019, and Q2 2020). They said franchise engagement was at its highest point in a decade. That might include website hits, in-store purchases, google tracking, amount of fan mail flooding the post office box of Steve Danuser, etc.
    Lol'd at bolded

And yeah, you are right. Engagement in this case are more towards player activity(probably just a part of it) than MAU. Engagement is a sum of what you wrote, and I guess, even more stuff is included into the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    A lockdown that forces people to play a hated game? How cruel.
    No, it means people spend more time on games in general.

Over thirty million people in the US alone are unemployed right now, there's a pandemic. People are bored and willing to do anything that will pass the time, and WoW can easily devour full days of your time if you ignore all it's problems. Hey! Just like a toxic relationship! And we all know how easily people leave those! And no one ever goes back to one of those out of loneliness or boredom.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-08-06 at 05:20 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Always enjoyed people trying to interpret these absurd quarterly calls. These are the same guys that said the success of Hearthstone Mobile meant making mobile versions of their other games would mean more success.

These people are dishonest, and will use intentionally vague language to make things sound as good as possible.

Retail is shit. They hide the sub info for a reason - they aren't proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    Over thirty million people in the US alone are unemployed right now, there's a pandemic. People are bored and willing to do anything that will pass the time, and WoW can easily devour full days of your time if you ignore all it's problems. Hey! Just like a toxic relationship! And we all know how easily people leave those! And no one ever goes back to one of those out of loneliness or boredom.
    so true,reminds me of when i broke up with my first gf,i didnt even have strong feelings anymore for her,but it still felt bad to break up simply because it became so...normal,a routine,and having it just end like that even if its not a healthy relationship feels weird for a while atleast

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    Always enjoyed people trying to interpret these absurd quarterly calls. These are the same guys that said the success of Hearthstone Mobile meant making mobile versions of their other games would mean more success.

These people are dishonest, and will use intentionally vague language to make things sound as good as possible.

Retail is shit. They hide the sub info for a reason - they aren't proud of it.
    its illigal for them to lie,so no,its not dishonesty...also,number of record subs was never a great metric,you think wrath had 12m for its entire duration?no,it was the early days peak,also bfa had record sales,im sure the subs even broke 12m at that point early on...also blizz would look silly to start showing subs after they said they wont,more people would bitch about THAT

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    so true,reminds me of when i broke up with my first gf,i didnt even have strong feelings anymore for her,but it still felt bad to break up simply because it became so...normal,a routine,and having it just end like that even if its not a healthy relationship feels weird for a while atleast

- - - Updated - - -

its illigal for them to lie,so no,its not dishonesty...also,number of record subs was never a great metric,you think wrath had 12m for its entire duration?no,it was the early days peak,also bfa had record sales,im sure the subs even broke 12m at that point early on...also blizz would look silly to start showing subs after they said they wont,more people would bitch about THAT
    Well first off, it's illegal for them to lie. Not illigal. Idk if english is your first language but this is a very obtuse statement. For this to be meaningful in any way you'd have to prove they were overtly lying which is very different from shrouding reality with misleading and vague statements in regards to being black and white.

As I've said, we have previous calls on record of them saying absurd things that were obviously not true, but impossible to call a lie. Like saying a game like diablo immortals would be as hyped as hearthstone mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    Well first off, it's illegal for them to lie. Not illigal. Idk if english is your first language but this is a very obtuse statement. For this to be meaningful in any way you'd have to prove they were overtly lying which is very different from shrouding reality with misleading and vague statements in regards to being black and white.

As I've said, we have previous calls on record of them saying absurd things that were obviously not true, but impossible to call a lie. Like saying a game like diablo immortals would be as hyped as hearthstone mobile.
    in the right market,i have no doubt diablo immortal will do as well as hs

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    in the right market,i have no doubt diablo immortal will do as well as hs
    True, we know how far up China's ass Blizzard is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love how people are claiming it's due to the pandemic and not the fact that patch 8.3 is the greatest patch so far in wow.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Step 1.) Use subs as the defining metric.
    Step 2.) Subs start plummeting.
    Step 3.) Stop reporting subs and use MAUs as the defining metric for WoW.
    Step 4.) MAUs stagnate and start dropping.
    YOU ARE NOW HERE
    Step 6.) ???
    Step 7.) ???
    Step 8.) ???
    Step 1: make shit up
    Step 2: make more shit up
    Step 3: make even more shit up
    YOU ARE NOW HERE
    Step 4: Probably shitposting even more
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Love how people are claiming it's due to the pandemic and not the fact that patch 8.3 is the greatest patch so far in wow.
    *vomits uncontrollably in shock and confusion at the most absurd statement read on mmochampion forums*

Classic population is equivalent with how many ppl play bet battles in retail.I'm happy to see retail storming through old and obsolete version of game that should have stayed dead.
    The Man in Black: “They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.”
    Jacob: “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

This forum or any for that matter should never be used to judge, People love a good complaint, whine and moan cos they've rarely got much positive going on in their life.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit77 View Post
    This forum or any for that matter should never be used to judge
    What if I want to judge the game. You know, cuz its shit.