Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What's the plan for pre-SL crafting professions?

They've been sorta quiet about professions pre-Shadowlands, at least from what I can see. How's the squish going to affect them? Will the items scale now that we can pick an expansion?

My hope is that the old crafted stuff gets overhauled to be competitive with questing and dungeon rewards. If I'm going to invest my time/gold in a crafting profession, I'd like for the end product to actually be useful. I feel that, currently, the itemization on most crafted stuff is terrible prior to Cataclysm, unless you have no other alternative- ie. you don't use heirlooms and there are gaps in questing gear rewards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering that you can go from 10-50 fairly quickly (8-24 hours, depending on how fast you are), I’m not expecting old profs to have a great deal of value.

My alts generally take either herbing or mining just for the extra XP you get along the way.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

It will more than likely be just like every other expansion.

Anything pre BFA will still be useless except for transmog items

BFA mat prices will have a moment where they will not be worth anything usually the week before pre patch, the more populated the server the closer to pre patch day this usually is.

Same for runes/flasks/and potions. The more populated your server is the closer to pre-patch day they'll be worth anything.

Potions and items that have utility effects may still be worth something depending on how they are nerfed when shadowlands recipes come out

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    They've been sorta quiet about professions pre-Shadowlands, at least from what I can see. How's the squish going to affect them? Will the items scale now that we can pick an expansion?

My hope is that the old crafted stuff gets overhauled to be competitive with questing and dungeon rewards. If I'm going to invest my time/gold in a crafting profession, I'd like for the end product to actually be useful. I feel that, currently, the itemization on most crafted stuff is terrible prior to Cataclysm, unless you have no other alternative- ie. you don't use heirlooms and there are gaps in questing gear rewards.
    You're definitely not going to see an overhaul considering the extreme amount of craftable items there are - but you might see something craftable from Shadowlands professions that low levels can use.

I doubt it though. Leveling is a breeze, you have no reason to craft any items before reaching endgame.

Somethings gunna have to happen.

At the very LEAST, the item requirements would need to squish.
    But that would leave all the professions being mismatched and dumb to level up as you level up.

The 'best' solution, would be a squish of 1 to 50 for each profession tier.
    EG: Classic Tailoring crafts 1 to 50 stuff.
    BC Tailoring crafts 1 to 50 stuff, etc.

Any other way, would see new players unable to level up their professions alongside their character.

Professions are still very much work in progress on beta, but what happend already was they changed all the previous expansion standard recipes. You can add an extra ingredient to any of the old standard patterns to set ilvl and required level. So whatever expansion your recipes are, you can craft items for the whole level range.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they make professions finally actually useful again. Crafting the items needed for the legendaries is a start, but if it's the only thing then there will once again be quickly no point to any of them except Alchemy, because of the consumables.. We need back craftable belt socked slots, sharpening stones, enchants for almost every slot, meta gems and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    I just hope they make professions finally actually useful again. Crafting the items needed for the legendaries is a start, but if it's the only thing then there will once again be quickly no point to any of them except Alchemy, because of the consumables.. We need back craftable belt socked slots, sharpening stones, enchants for almost every slot, meta gems and so on.
    we are getting more enchants and sharpening stones, but i wouldnt expect profession bonuses or meta gems and things to ever come back.