Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wow Creators ignore Activision Blizzard blatant wage theft

The story has come and gone, we haven’t gotten videos from the wow content creators on this other than a tweet or two. It’s like the fanboys don’t want noting ruining their game and leave the workers to starve.

Who exactly do you want to talk about this?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    The story has come and gone, we haven’t gotten videos from the wow content creators on this other than a tweet or two. It’s like the fanboys don’t want noting ruining their game and leave the workers to starve.
    Asmongold talked about it on his stream Tuesday. He thinks there is no excuse for a company like Blizzard to not be paying a living wage to all their employees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anolmt8klyQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I guess some people expect in a time where jobs are scarce you expect them to quit or what strike? I hate to break this to you but Blizzard knows they can replace the majority of people upset they aren't paid well in like 2-3 weeks.

3+ Year Old Account
    Well most of them are complete shills, go figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Asmongold talked about it on his stream Tuesday. He thinks there is no excuse for a company like Blizzard to not be paying a living wage to all their employees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anolmt8klyQ
    This pretty much, I was listening to him talk about it and it shocked the hell out of me when I learned that the merch/swag, gametime etc. counts towards their wage. Like "gee, sorry can't afford to pay my bills, take this Blizzard merch instead?" There's been a few Twitter comments about how some ex-employees were told they were replaceable as GM's and that they should be glad they're getting the wage they're getting.

The whole industry is rife with underpayments and greed, it just sucks that there isn't much Union movement in the US, I'm pretty blessed to be living in a country where Unions have a lot of power (Australia) to provide the average worker with fair work rights. I think when the whole mob/mafia thing died out in the US, the Unions kinda lost their power with it.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2020-08-06 at 02:39 AM.

I mean it feels like this belongs in the off topics section but basic service jobs don't command a high wage. Add to that the ever increasing amount of unskilled labor and the diminishing demand for it and you simply can't expect the wage to be much.

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    I mean it feels like this belongs in the off topics section but basic service jobs don't command a high wage. Add to that the ever increasing amount of unskilled labor and the diminishing demand for it and you simply can't expect the wage to be much.
    They easily could and should. If executive bonuses were outlawed (they should be) and executive salaries were cut in half, they would still be millionaires and could also pay their employees livable wages.

When a company records record profits, that money is always being skimmed off the top by the suits. The world we live in is utterly ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't really news, and is in no way exclusive to Actiblizz or the games industry. Big business is happy to see the lower rungs struggle, while compensating figureheads with enough of a salary to raise ALL of their lowest-paid workers to a higher tax bracket.

Can't afford rent and bills? Hock the 'free' merch I guess.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    Idk, if Bobby "Moneybags" Kotick could stop being such a greedy prick and cut his 40mil annual pay packet in half, a loooooooot of the employees would be living contently without having to sacrifice meals to pay rent or using the free coffee at work to stifle appetite. There are legit people under his employ that are living like that all because he's too stiff and cheap to consider others.

It takes a special kind of shitty person to be able to live like that knowing people are suffering under your employ while you have money to last you 100+ lifetimes.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2020-08-06 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post

Literally millions of people are jobless due to covid with employment benefits ending. Caring about "underpaid" video game developers is not exactly high on the "give a fuck" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Literally millions of people are jobless due to covid with employment benefits ending. Caring about "underpaid" video game developers is not exactly high on the "give a fuck" list.
    Literally millions are starving to death in Africa. Caring about 'unemployed' people in the US being without jobs for a few months is not exactly high on the 'give a fuck' list.

See, we can all play this game. Shockingly, you can care about more than one things at once. Crazy, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    You say this like both aren't serious problems that legislation could handily address within the same afternoon, had our leadership any sense of empathy and a spine.

On-topic: Asmon, Heelvsbabyface, and Bellular have already covered it, and I expect it will show up in the Weekly Reset seeing as the story broke after the previous episode and T&E tend to cover such things in the Weekly Reset as well as the ensuing community reaction. Wouldn't be the first time they agreed with the shitshow.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    They easily could and should. If executive bonuses were outlawed (they should be) and executive salaries were cut in half, they would still be millionaires and could also pay their employees livable wages.

When a company records record profits, that money is always being skimmed off the top by the suits. The world we live in is utterly ridiculous.
    I really don't want to argue politics but if you make more then living wage why don't you give them the money? So long as you are both topped of to a living wage the system works right?

I get people are now almost trained to despise competition but that is what life is. You make what your worth.

I honestly can't care less. Wow devs are no longer gamers for gamers and haven't for many years. Infact I imagine most would hate actual gamers. I hate how the industry in general now injects their convoluted beliefs they picked up from their colleges and social media circles and wish to inject it into each and every male dominated hobby. I'm sure there are plenty like that on this forum obviously who will get upset from this but that's just how it is. Hell I bet they vote to bring in those that would lower their wages and benefits as they get replaced without realising it because their knowledge of reality is extremely limited to their own circles. To quote a certain movie 'You get what you fucken deserve'.

I still play overwatch because I am just addicted to casual modes as it gives me good dopamine addiction, even with 1 minute losses. Or as I call it 'sometimes you do the fucking, sometimes you get the fucking' xD. But once I can break free from that I'll be rid of blizz once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Idk, if Bobby "Moneybags" Kotick could stop being such a greedy prick and cut his 40mil annual pay packet in half, a loooooooot of the employees would be living contently without having to sacrifice meals to pay rent or using the free coffee at work to stifle appetite. There are legit people under his employ that are living like that all because he's too stiff and cheap to consider others.

It takes a special kind of shitty person to be able to live like that knowing people are suffering under your employ while you have money to last you 100+ lifetimes.
    If you make above living wage how are you different? Why don't you give your money to them to top them up?

Oh look...a whole thread dedicated to people not understanding how capitalism, business, publicly traded companies, or being accountable to shareholders....works.

You're worth what the market says you're worth. Anyone and everyone can clean a toilet. That's why those jobs pay the least. Not everyone can design a zone like Storm Peaks, that's why that guy gets more money.

It's simple ECON101.
    Last edited by ablib; 2020-08-06 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    There's been a few Twitter comments about how some ex-employees were told they were replaceable as GM's
    Welcome to the workforce....you ARE replaceable unless you make yourself otherwise. Thats adulthood in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Those are the fields where the challenging and engaging raid mechanics for Classic are grown. See that they lay barren.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sweet, another thread on this topic.

It's not their problem. Also they need to make money...